Latest Perfume Reviews

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

Something unique from the house...

When I smell this fragrance, it occurs to me that, although the notes themselves are in no way unique, the way they are put together is. What I mean to say is, I think this fragrance delivers on a unique smell which I haven't experienced from other similar "types" of fragrances.

Bond No. 9 - Signature is a Rose-Oud combination unlike that which I have smelled before. I say this because, I find it light and refreshing, but still interesting enough to be unique in smell. There seems to be a refreshing citrus quality here (probably bergamot) which then transitions onto rose (an extremely pleasing and full but refreshing rose note) along with soft oud and woods, before being enveloped by a white musk. This fragrance is not sweet, nor is it too floral, nor is it too dark or woody. In fact, it has a "Goldilocks" factor in that it is "just right".

Now, for people looking for more (IE a heavier rose, darker oud etc) then this may not be for you. If someone is looking for an animalic style musk, then they wouldn't find it here. It is very well balanced and unique so in terms of smell I find it very pleasing and intriguing, just don't expect a loud punch with this one.

As with all Bond No. 9 fragrances, I would recommend trying or sampling first. However for uniqueness I believe this fragrance has it, but not for power or strength of scent. I do believe that this is very versatile and can be worn any time any where. It's a good effort and should be tried first, before making a decision.

Dehan Al Oudh Al Malaki by Surrati

Ah, yes. A lil' sumpin' for those of us with little to no motivation and/or financial where with all (if we're being honest) to chase after artisan oud oils. Damn the purists... this stuff is good enough for me!

Earthy, leathery, woody, pungent.

They say it's their 'famous pure camboudi agarwood. Pure, buttery, and long lasting...'.

All I can say is I like the earth/leather/wood backbone common across most all quality oud oils, artisanal and non-artisanal alike, I've smelled. This is all about just that.

Funny, the bottle has an attractive rose etching - I get none of that, not even a trace. There is a bit of dried fruit like dates, perhaps, but no floral.

A few years back, I bought two at around $50 apiece. Good buy!

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

A quite fruity (kind of apparently berrish and surely lemony) sophisticated creamy sandalwood. There is a quite present lemony/grassy aura (the cedrat vibe) which is musky and floral (definitely classic in effect - some old school or classically appointed sandalwood/jasmine-implementations from Estee Lauder or Mark Buxton jump vaguely on mind). The "sandalwood/jasmine/black currant connection" is surely central. I detect the "Cedrat Boise-effect" but the note of sandalwood (a floral sophisticated musky sandalwood) is equally dominant. Feminine.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

This is a beautiful scent!
Opens with a huge blast of cannabis and a resinous, sticky greenness that last for 3-4 hours, before being joined by lots of aromatic woody notes and a spicy incense, almost with a sweet and smokey accord.
I also get wafts of a deep intense floral note, although none is listed in the profile, and i think it may well be a blend of the coffee and tobacco?
I find this so easy to wear and not at all overpowering, although it is thunderously strong and lasts over 24 hours on my skin and projects like a beast.
I was in a coffee shop and the barrista was asked what frag she had on, to which she replied, 'It's not me, it's the guy sat upstairs', I'd gone in there 20 mins earlier!

Is it really unisex? Yes, as to my nose it's not overtly feminine or masculine but should be viewed as a truly remarkable piece of perfumery that has created a delectable scent that is powerful without being overbearing, sweet but never cloying and an absolute joy to wear!!

Vanilla Flash by Tauerville

Vanilla Flash is centred around a linear accord of vanilla and spices, laced with a touch of rose and patchouli. It's dry, non-sweet and even an abstract vanilla, as the spices dominate. In fact, vanilla is rather in the background of this accord, and doesn't stand out. The fragrance approximates the smell of root beer in the first hour or so, before the vanilla becoming just a bit more prominent and softening the spicy edge. Nonetheless, there is not much contrast and hardly any interplay of notes.

Vanilla Flash possesses moderate longevity but sits close on the skin, emanating a very soft sillage. While it isn't below par, Vanilla Flash is insubstantial and lacks any sort of depth or complexity. One would suggest Eau des Baux, Volutes and Eau Duelle as more compelling alternatives.

2.5/5

Ragù by Gabriella Chieffo

Variously described in the household as screechy, sickly, and lacking personality. Few of the listed notes are discernible, and displays little development. Essentially, I get some peppers alongside some resins - that's it. The marketing screed brings to mind those people who describe themselves as extrovert and lovably mad. I don't love it and I don't like you saying that I will. One to avoid.

Opus VI by Amouage

OpusVI it's similar M7 ,arabian's copy of M7,but with synthetic oud . But it's a good perfume better m7 oud absolu-chimicoud .

Only for Him by Hayari Parfums

It's perfume not important ,to much resinous ,synthetic ,unnecessari.

Viking by Creed

On first application I get a fiery spice like that bite from that old cologne old spice. Peppermint then comes into play which is very nice. Shortly after I can pick up aquatic watery notes. After a good while rose enters the fray to calm down the fiery spice which is very nice in the drydown.

This fragrance smells reminds me of the fiery spice from that old cologne old spice mixed with a aquatic fragrance from the Nineties.

All in all I like the fiery spicy opening through to the aquatic heart to the rosy drydown. Thumbs up!
rbaker Show all reviews

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Green, green, green - that is the core of the the top notes here. The ivy leaves blend with a - somewhat less impressive- geranium, but it is the cyclamen that really puts its defining stamp on this mixture. Crisp, a touch fresh, like sitting is an ivy-clad garden in early spring. Very well made.

Unfortunately, like so often, after a commercially advisable attention-grabbing initial phase that is meant to prompt the sampling customer in the shop towards an impulse-purchase of the product, from the drydown onwards it is much less impressive. Whilst the touch of mild green pepper in the heart notes is not bad, the base with its ordinary woodsy white musks is rather unoriginal and dull.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and seven hours on longevity on my skin.

This spring creation deserves a lot of credit for the lovely top notes, with the rest developing from acceptable to boring and completely generic towards the end. Overall in the positive realm, but by a narrow margin only. 3.25/5.

Zahd by Slumberhouse

Kneel before Zahd! Josh Lobb has such an eclectic fragrance sensibility...and I absolutely love it! Zahd is sweet, but spicy...pungent, but in an aromatic way. It's a juxtaposition of dissimilar individual parts that make up a greater whole. I do smell the cherry. I do smell the cranberry and the plum, as well as the cocoa and the incense. There is a lot going on that creates a scent profile quite unlike other fragrances. Personally, I like it. I enjoy peeling back the layers and enjoying the amazing craft that is displayed in this fragrance. Zahd is not rank...Zahd can pull rank. Zahd is not a "Private" blend...Zahd is a "General" success!

Sova by Slumberhouse

I only obtained a bottle due to the limited re-release this August via Fumerie Parfumerie of Portland, OR, and I was fortunate to nab a bottle, breaking my general rule of not blind buying, especially fragrances on the more expensive side.

Sova's reputation, having been discontinued for a couple years, however, was the stuff of lore, and so I felt justified in going for it, and I'm not disappointed that I did.

Like the other Slumberhouse fragrances I own (Jeke, Ore, Norne), Sova is powerful and provocative, but it's a bit more daring, spicy, and even borderline animalic.

And like the others, while there is a woody commonality (woody dominance in the case of Norne, in fact), and a semblance of sweetness in Ore and Jeke, both qualities are present in Sova but are overwhelmed by the spicy, animalic mixture of hay, castoreum, and broom, giving it a sharper edge than the other fragrances in the lot.

Still, Sova is anchored by tonka and vanilla, both of which keep it from flying off the rails as a wild spicy and dirty potion.

Sova pushes the envelope from what I already considered bold, daring scents in Slumberhouse, but I'm pleased that it's still a sophisticated enough blend that I'd feel comfortable wearing it in a few situations. Yet at the same time, it's a bit too daring and edgy for a first impression or early date, but a little loud to wear privately, so it's hard to select an ideal occasion for wearing it, but no matter: I'll find the time to wear it, albeit sparingly.

It almost doesn't need mentioning, but Sova has the same superlative performance like its fellow Slumberhouse dark juice brethren, on the extreme high end in terms of both projection and longevity, a testament to the juice's value at $160 for 30ml.

If you come across this, do check it out! A staple of the line and one I'm glad to have added to my collection.

8 out of 10

Black Gold by Ormonde Jayne

I was captivated when smelling the opening notes of this fragrance; it seemed sophisticated, unusual and obviously constructed with the very best materials. In fact, I was utterly fascinated by Black Gold's top notes which smell of exotic wood, oudy lacquer, nutmeg(?), and some type of fruit, combined with juniper and sage and sparkling hints of citrus. This beginning was so enticing that I shocked to discover that the dry down--while apparently filled with amber and genuine sandalwood--was decidedly less fascinating. In fact, if I'm honest, I'd say it was horrifying. There is something in this scent's latter progression that reminds me of the woody dryness of a CdG scent combined with a dreaded note so sharp and piercing and (I'm sorry!) synthetic smelling that I was forced to take a bath after 2 hours of wearing this. There is elegance and real artistry at Black Gold's onset, but the latter stage (which goes on forever) reminds me of certain strident and highly artificial 'masculine' scents from the '90s. I'd give this a thumbs up for the opening and a thumbs down for the dry down.
22nd September, 2017 (last edited: 23rd September, 2017)

Elephant by Zoologist Perfumes

This re-creates imagery on your skin, and as with others from the house, it is more about the environment and habitat of the animal that inspires what you smell.
In this case we can imagine starting in an asian rainforest. The opening is lush green leaves and that green-ness dominates until you slowly start to transition into a lactonic, tropical, white-floral field. Less shad and more sunlight. As the day wears on and tbe sun gets higher, the basenotes come into tbeir own. Amber, musks and a dominant, dusty sandalwood complete the olfactory journey. Every aspect different, evocative and enjoyable.
This is not what you would describe as linear, but smells very natural and very well composed.
Longevity of around 8 hours, soft projection.
Unisex and most suitable spring through to fall.

Sugi by Comme des Garçons

Recalls a newly refurbished penthouse apartment with plenty of fine quality timber. The true to life pine note is excellent, a critic might say "turpentine" but that would be too unkind, this is very wearable. Fits in well with C de G creations in the incense series, which are all great fragrances for those who love the aroma of natural wood. I would guess it may owe something to sunstruck pine resin, a material developed by Givaudan at one time, but that is just conjecture. Definitely one I will purchase.

Poopoo Pidoo by Ego Facto

Generic citrus accord opening, far too strong for me. I get Petitgrain and a little of that salty toasty wheaty smell of rice? Does smell a little like frootloops, which (I think) are lime and orange flavored. Ugh the orange blossom middle is just as screetchy. I have a headache...you said this was Ropion??Sorry folks, this is a scrubber on me.
mspa Show all reviews

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

the name is an oxymoron to the actual scent.
quite delicate and very well blended.
it is really sweet, and the vetiver and smoke are very subtle. sweetened myrrh is more what it feels like.
imo projection and performance are perfect.
i feel comfortabe wearing it, but although unisex, i believe it leans towards the feminine side of the spectrum and could be excellent feminine wear.

Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré

It opens with spicy peppers, skanky and furry oud, lush florals. Though smooth and juicy rose is detectable, honeyed and indolic jasmine is prominent among the florals to my nose. Indolic side of jasmine seems to amplify the skankiness of oud. Drydown reminds me of chypres of the past with it's inky, bitter, textured oakmoss and smoky resins. I also appreciate the shapeshifting and kaleidoscopic nature of Ottoman Empire. Everytime I brought my arm to my nose it's shown slight differences. All in all Ottoman Empire is a superb chypre with oriental elements. Solid thumps up from me.

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

Vetiver extreme G. it's similar to vetiver with incense and without tobacco. I like it,remember me old Vetiver 90's .But to much expensive .

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I felt pressured when I originally bought it and wasn't a big fan. Now, 6 years later, my taste has changed and I love it. Prada seems to always give Guerlain a run for its money when it comes to masculine powder scents.

As many others have mentioned, this one is packed full of soap and powder. It really smells like a bar of soap found in a hotel.

Longevity is great and the scent is completely linear. If you like it after the first spray, you'll be satisfied 8 hours later as well.

Monsoon by Dame Perfumery

Dame Perfumery's latest release in Monsoon is fresh and interesting, a mix primarily of the lily of the valley, iris, and cedar.

It's easy to wear but admittedly slightly feminine--as a man, I'd gravitate toward Citrus Man or New Musk Man alternatively as a warm-weather option.

Iris is simply a difficult note to keep light to my nose, and its presence either makes it feminine or weighs it down. Generally speaking, though, this is overall a unisex a fragrance.

It's decent-performing, relatively soft on the skin but pretty long-lasting.

Definitely a good approximation of what I might like as a neutral, unisex warm-weather scent but it's not quite for me.

6 out of 10

Esencia de Loewe Sport by Loewe

Good fragrance for spring and summer with a remarkable work with geranium. On the other hand, it moves away from typical citrus and water-based products to present a soft and attractive herbal blend.

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is not my genre. The woods in this do not work for me.

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I'm a new convert to the frags of Tom Ford, having previously poured scorn on them all.
Oh boy, I don't care if this, or the four others I've recently purchased, are reformulated as they smell heavenly.

I wear frags for the whole experience, not just the smell. As with my other hobbies of coffee and wine, the scent journey starts with the unboxing and the anticipation of what's to come. Its a full sensory experience.

As soon as I take the cap off the bottle, this transports me to an opulent Narnia-esque woody grove, full of exotic tress covered in snow and ice.
Then I hit the sprayer and Winter is replaced by glorious springtime and I feel like i'm standing there enveloped in a gentle stream of warm, aromatic woody air, caressed and comforted on all sides.

A remarkable piece of perfumery, totally unisex, projects incredibly but is never suffocating or overbearing, you think its gone but then a subtle waft hits you so you know its always there, warm, aromatic and very satisfying.
I feel very fortunate to have in my collection.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Yes it's unisex, yes it's gorgeous!
Simply stunning perfume.
2 notes dominate but they work incredible together; Black Roses & dark chocolate.
Not sweet, cloying or sickly, but literally the smell of roses dipped in the finest dark chocolate.
The fragrance envelopes you with a density I've only felt with Black Afgano, wearing this feels almost ethereal

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

When I wear this I often get 'This smells like Christmas' comments but not in a negative way, folk really love the warm, sweet, cinnamon smell and the incredible enveloping density, but not in an overbearing way, this frag has.

Performance seems to be a bit of an issue, with some claiming beast mode and other 'meh, it don't last for diddly'
I'm lucky as I get beast mode with it and it easily lasts 12-14 hours and projects well for 4-5.
As for the frag, it's pretty much as it says on the tin: Tobacco leaf, vanilla, cinnamon, clove etc and warm, sweet aromatic woods.
This is Christmas in a bottle or snuggling in your favourite PJs with your SO in front of a roaring fire, toasting marshmallows and sipping on a great claret.

Oh, and it is totally unisex, well at least I think it is, but then again you may not, but that's cool too.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Bit of an odd one on me, not just the smell but performance.

Odd thing 1 is in the opening. As you'd expect from a fresh green scent it opens with a fresh citrusy grassy waft which is lovely but after a minute or 2 I get a slightly quirky oatmeal/porridge note that isn't unpleasant but just seems weird.
I've never had lemongrass flavoured porridge before but can imagine this is what it would smell like.
After about half an hour I start to get the tea dry down and thats what I like about the frag. I'd say this is the stage where it surpasses GIT, and GIT was my signature scent for 18 years, so I don't say that lightly.

Odd thing 2 is performance. Longevity is OK, not great, but OK as I get 6-7 hours out of it but projection and silage are pretty darn good with folk saying they can smell it throughout it's duration.
BUT then it just goes, it doesn't fade or tone down to a skin scent, it just vanishes completely. Literally its 'now you see me now you don't'. I've been able to apply another scent on the same spot i'd previously sprayed Chez Bond as it fades so totally.

Anyhoo, I like it, I don't love it but it's a really nice spring time frag that i'll probably always have on hand and is a nice accompaniment to GIT in my collection.
rbaker Show all reviews

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme (new) by Dolce & Gabbana

A delightful opening blast that is given a slightly restrained citrusy aroma - mandarin, whiffs of lemon and a good lashing of neroli - with a fruity undertone. The result is not overtly fresh, but more on the calmly refreshing side. In spite of the rather usual selection of components the result of mixing these is surprisingly beautiful.

The drydown develops a pleasant jasmine with an undertone of white florals, whilst the base steers into a sweeter direction, with a very balanced vanilla joining a marshmallow impression to create an olfactory desert that is never too sweet or cloying. This is due to the admixture of woodsy aroma that helps mitigating the sweetness.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a very impressive eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a lovely scent for cooler summer evenings, belended well of ingredients of high quality and combining fresh richness with elegance. The performance is excellent. 3.5/5.

Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera

I can mainly pick black currant, pineapple, peony, plum and vanilla notes. The opening is fruity, even a bit too much of alchhol. Then it dries down to a lovely floral and vanilla scent, very comforting. Overall I find it sweet, but tooth-achingly. An inoffensive and affordable fruity, floral vanilla fragrance .The sillage is close to skin and the longevity is about 4h, but can reach 6h+ with a good spritz in cooler days.

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

Much admired by me when a friend wears the original Yvresse, not the La Collection, I can't bring myself to buy it. I won't, you know, the older I get, the less bombastic my fragrance loves are. Dear BAV was that femme fatale I fell in love with in the seventies and I don't wear it anymore. Sophia Grojsman, who authored Yvresse, made a very fine perfume, but the La Collection one is missing a link to the original, as I confirmed for myself today. It was unexpectedly at the YSL counter. I am lukewarm about Gabrielle, the new Chanel offering, but it's a fruity floral of today, so I'd put my money there.