Latest Perfume Reviews

Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides

Yet another fragrance of the aromatic style, that I am smitten with. The nutmeg, saffron, and vanilla particularly intrigue me here. Fresh warm spice. Balsamic woodiness and patchouli-loaded. Alluring and mysterious. I could live, with only this perfume, if I had to.

Velvet Rope by Apothia

An aromatic, spicy trip down a road of pleasure. I love this blend of juniper, grapefruit, jasmine, and rose! I love the finish of cypress, white musk, patchouli, and a vanilla that is divine. This one of my favorite styles of perfume. Can't get enough of this stuff...

X for Men by Clive Christian

As a woman, I could wear this. It's a bright and lively scent. I can smell most of the ingredients. The longevity leaves something to be desired. I swear, after a half an hour, it's gone!

Unless I received a freebie somewhere, I certainly would not seek out any more samples of this house. I have cheap, celebrity-endorsed perfumes, that smell just as good for far less bank.

Oud Silk Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Lovely rose, oud, chamomile, and papyrus combination. Lovely but, not overly memorable.

Pluie de Soleil / Burst of Summer by Phaedon

A little too sweet for my taste. Still, it is lovely. If you love strawberry and pineapple, this is for you.

Honey by Marc Jacobs

A subtle mix of pear, fruit punch, honeysuckle, orange blossom, and honey. The latter being not too overpowering. A gentle scent for Spring or Summer.

Arsène Lupin Voyou by Guerlain

A mirthful mingling
Of Derby's world and Thierry's.
Fine fragrant mischief.

Apple Blossom by Demeter Fragrance Library

A floral mix - a mainly floral mix is what I get. It is a very homogenous and pleasant mix, but in all its pleasantness it is a tad generic.

Whiffs of apple come and go at times - apple, not apple blossom that is.

Otherwise there is not much further development on my skin.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and seven hours of longevity on me.

A pleasant but quite unoriginal floral spring scent. 2.75/5.

Thebes G2 by Sultan Pasha

One can go on for hours describing the wonder of exploring the Sultan's olfactory works of art , so I'm just gonna make this short and sweet...another SP masterpiece....you can spend a whole day immersed in the wonderment of the constant changes and evolution of this creation...intoxicating...smoky...flowery...dark and mysterious...resiny...narcotic and addicting...smoldering...done...get some...

California Snow by A Lab on Fire

Opens to my nose as aromatic flowery greenery...standing in the yard of a farm where there's wildflowers and herbs growing and a gentle breeze brings in whiffs of the fields and bales of hay...nothing animalistic smelling of this farm...fresh and invigorating....good aromatherapy...a juice for lovers of the green...another thing about this farm is one certain wonderfull herb they grow...and i'm getting a liitle taste from time to time, like someone behind the barn doing a little bit of toking...a tiny hint of soapiness...this is very enjoyable olfactory experience, but i pass on getting a bottle...not something i feel needs to be added to my wardrobe , but for sure something that I will kick back, dab on the back of my hand and enjoy whiffin while listening to some music or reading...the final touch to this farm scene is some earthy wood....also realized upon taking some deeper inhales is the sheer tapestry of a dark tea fluttering in the background...

Perry Ellis Citron by Perry Ellis

A great bitter bergamot opening is followed by a creeping, tempering sweetness brought on by the emerging apple, at which point I get a meyer lemon feel. Sadly, despite the title here, citrus is not to be the star of this show. The pepper and apple together smell extremely similar to Dunhill Custom, but with more going on in the periphery. As the geranium begins to pop out I am reminded of another Dunhill - the signature release from 2003. Eventually the composition is made annoyingly trite by what smells like orris or tonka in the base, though neither are listed, but it is this powdery vanillic dismount which sours me to the whole thing. the first few minutes are delicious, but they certainly are fleeting. Like the rest of the 'colored dot' line of PE scents, Citron is derivative and has a short lifespan, but it is still probably the best of the lot.
If you can find this for cheap it may make a suitable replacement for Eau de Rochas.

Perry Ellis Red by Perry Ellis

Every generic and false-smelling aromachemical featured in men's best-sellers over the last decade except (thankfully) for vanilla. It is mercifully weak but terminally boring; kind of sweet, kind of spicy, kind of bitter, ad infinitum. It is the fragrance equivalent of being described as a 'nice guy' when one friend asks another if they are interested in dating you.

Perry Ellis Cobalt by Perry Ellis

PE already made 360 Black, so I'm not sure what purpose this is supposed to serve. Gross, cloying almost-vanilla in the vein of original Penguin. Definitely not for me.

Perry Ellis Cologne for Men by Perry Ellis

Perry Ellis the Mall Frag. Definitely one for the Abercrombie crowd. I enjoy the fern-like mint and fir duo but could do without the obnoxious and now ubiquitous cardamom and synthetic wood.

Dia Man by Amouage

Stardate 20171209:

I have a sample of Dia man. I did not like it. It is thin, weak and meh. Could not understand why people like it.
Then I tried the vintage Khanjar version. And now I know.
It is a masterpiece. Starts a lot like R de Capucci but then veers off to more floral, spicy path. It is very vintage (70-80s) in character and performance ( those who know me will know that this is a compliment).
A shame they reformulated it to green vetiver-cumin mess. Well actually it is not that bad and does get better after and hour or so.

English Bluebell by Yardley

Wonderful fruity floral - starts fresh and sweet and ends with a light vanilla and musk dry down. I'm a huge fan of peony and it shines well with the bluebell and peach undertones.

Great longevity and blows Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell out of the water for a fraction of the cost. Highly recommend.

April Violets by Yardley

Powdery parma violet scent. Very light, easy to wear. Sweet but not overpoweringly so. I would have enjoyed this in my younger years.

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

Possibly the best
Of those white ginger colognes
That seem all the rage.

Champagne Brut by Demeter Fragrance Library

A sweetish, slightly fizzy opening blast expresses a fruity side with a certain booziness. This is at the core of this creation.

There are two things this product nothing to do with:

(1) Champagne - the drink that is. There is neither even only a hint of Chardonnay is this mix, nor any trace of Pinot Noir or of any other grape used in Champagne, nor of any other grape usually used in an sparkling wine. Maybe to mimic the blandest of the blandest Moscatos was the aim of this Demeter, but even this was not achieved successfully.

(2) Brut. This sweet soup is not dry at all even by the boldest stretch of imagination. A ridiculous name.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellent, and I get a longevity of nine hours on my skin.

The performance of this spring creation is very good, but otherwise this generic chemical fluid with its bland sweetness and synthetic fruitiness has no redeeming features at all. 1.75/5.

Arabians by Montale

Cardamom and thyme make for an interesing pleasant opening....warm spice with a fresh , almost minty sort of herb flavor...a musky quasi animalistic musk/mellow oud hanging over everything...nice quiet rose...nice projection...smells interesting enough for lovers of alll things niche , but at the same time comes across as being office friendly...fresh and vibrant... very smooth and well blended...nice undercurrent of patch...Montale has the good , the bad , and the ugly... to my taste. , this is one of the good...I get a nice liitle taste of leather as it dries down...

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Succinctly put, this is better than Hermes Tres Fraiche.
It is lighter, sharper, more masculine, classier. But much much more expensive.
There is a powdery smokiness flitting around like a shadow so it never diminishes the freshness that distinguishes it from the unisex doldrums so many fragrances flirt with nowadays, another symptom of the corrosion of political correctness on our society or is it just economics and volume selling?
This is a real pleasure.
I have been trying to resist this but Creed now have two in my top 5. This and Viking (although with Viking you have to give it at least 30 minutes to settle down-if Creed tamed that they would have an all time great on their hands).
Important Safety Tip: This is not comparable in any way to Creed's Erolfa which scores 2/5 in my review.

Fragrance: 5/5
Projection: 4/5
Longevity: 3/5
08th December, 2017 (last edited: 12th December, 2017)

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

Went looking for gold
Near frankincense, myrrh, and nard
And I found it here.

Voyage by Nautica

This was recommended to me as outstanding value for money.
It's cheap inoffensive synthetic apple.
Nice enough but obviously fiscally challenged . A perfect teenager unisex fragrance. I can see why the girls would like it on their guys but liking it is not the same as being intrigued or attracted. Be careful of the dreaded friend zone !

Santalum by Profumum

I don't like sandalwood but I am always interested in trying the very best of something, the pinnacle, the trend setting archetype of excellence.
Reading the reviews, this appeared worth a try.
It is.
Subtle, smoky, classy, masculine, hint of pepper or some spice but at its centre nestling in amongst the wonderful presentation is of course , inescapably : Sandalwood,
Dress it up any which way you like it , that's what it is.

Fragrance: 5/5 (I appreciate excellence in any endeavour)
Projection: 4/5
Longevity: 4/5

Acqua Viva by Profumum

This is disappointing especially in light of its very promising beginning.
First 15 minutes is a spicy citrusy lemony fresh masculine smell. A very classy all season wear anywhere fragrance.
Very quickly it dries down to a generic damp grass with a component reminiscent of vetiver. Wishy washy. Perhaps it is the reaction this has with my skin type as a lot of the reviews praise this and it was recommended to me by one of our fellow senior basenoters as the archetypal citrusy fragrance.
By far the best of this type of fragrance is Guerlain's L'eau Boissee.
It is not only much better in every sense but also cheaper. I almost bought a bottle but that wishy washy component is still there as well.

If Profumum was not so expensive it would be a neutral . Considering the price thumbs down, don't waste your time and money.

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

This is an outstanding aquatic.
You can smell the sea salt and the sand on warm yet fresh ocean breaze.. Perhaps because the aquatic is so realistic you even get fleeting glimpses of fish scales but look again and they're gone. Preferably so.
After half an hour this settles down to the exact skin smell you get when you have been for a swim and then sunbathed on the beach reading books and sipping ice cold drinks with a hint of mint thrown in.
A masterpiece.
Would I wear this? No. This is not a picture I want to smell of even though it is beautifully done. Maybe for a confident beautiful athletic woman but even then there are better pictures she could paint.
Heeley's Sel Marine is not a patch on this although it is more wearable. Still not for me though. It is irrelevant in the shadow of its cousin Heeley's excellent Yuzu.

Fragrance: 5/5
Projection: 3-4/5
Longevity: 4/5

Dark Chocolate by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is an opening that is clearly dark chocolate, nothing but dark chocolate. Not very bitter, rich, well done. Gourmand galore!

Then second half looses a bit in intensity and in chocolate-i-ness, and an unfortunate chemical undertone develops. Still, these is enough chocolate re-emerging towards the end.

The performance is phenomenal: strong sillage, excellent projection and thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

A very simple and straightforward autumn gourmand that is quite nice overall. 3.25/5.
08th December, 2017

Il Chinotto in Fiore by Abaton Bros.

Cola-dark citrus
That hits it out of the park
With a pine-tar bat.

Professional by Pecksniff's

A decent but rather staid, bordering on insipid, scent which smells like a hollowed-out Burberry London. Citrusy and a bit gummy, dwindling to a pitiful nothing in under two hours. Nothing exciting here.

Good Girl by Carolina Herrera

Somebody thought it would be a great idea to (once again) make a lackluster copy of Hypnotic Poison but add both a foody and a medicinal angle. This stuff smells as fake as its target demographic, and the bottle and the title's suggestive marketing are beyond atrocious. Another entry in the line of what I refer to as "Perfume for people who don't actually like perfume." It's fun for the first minute and then refuses to tone down or go away. I generally don't gel with that personality type.