Latest Perfume Reviews

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

Trade Wind's opening blast is fantastic - the minty violet leaf of Brut, the galbanum of Chanel No 19, and the vetiver/neroli mix of Mugler Cologne all come together over sharp, resinous orange. It's a glorious, though sadly short-lived cacophony. This all quickly settles into round, tea-ish coriander, highly sharpened with mint, over an essential oil background smell that skews green and citric orange. It's a nice natural perfume - the way the bright mint tames the essential oil smell is clever - though despite including a lot of my favorite perfume tropes, it didn't win me over.

Amber by Essentially Me

Amber goes on resinous, with a particularly piney note (maybe opoponax?) at the forefront. There isn't the upfront vanilla that makes mixes like this smell typically "amber", so it instead comes off as quite dry and almost herbal. Given a little time, a nice, sawdusty sandalwood comes in and starts to create the illusion of amber, though everything stays much more woody and dry than your typical amber perfume.

I'm usually a fan of natural amber scents (it seems to be the genre of perfume that works best when made with essential oils instead of chemicals) and Essentially Me's is no exception. I like that the dry woodiness makes it stand out as different in a crowded field, though at least a little creamy richness would have upped the luxury factor and improved the base and longevity.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

The development of Bleu de Chanel was more than likely supervized with baited breath. Chanel has never been a house to follow trends, largely due in part to perfumers like Ernest Beaux, Henri Robert, and Jacques Polge being such innovators in their field rather than imitators. Polge in particular has made nerely every masculine fragrance for the house, and has reorchestrated fragrances his hands never originally touched for their eau de parfum upgrade, with his style clearly leaning towards warmer and more resonant tones within the realm of men. However, if the decision to jump on a generalist bandwagon that Chanel themselves didn't start seemed like an uncharacteristic cash-grab from the reputable house, the least they could do is take the reigns away of said bandwagon and become genre leaders rather than followers, which is a tall order even for Polge. Whether or not Bleu de Chanel is a success in this regard is entirely dependent on how one feels about Chanel, aquatics, and indeed Polge himself, but I believe the answer to the question is yes.

How does the man who brought us both Antaeus (1981) and Ëgoïste (1990) do a 180-degree turnabout from such a track record of mossy or warm vanillic masculines to deliver a scent in a genre known for being unabashedly simple, cheap, linear, and sharply angular in design? Well, the answer is he doesn't, and inseed didn't go against his own stylistic quirks with Bleu de Chanel. The fragrance is paradoxically both what one expects from an aquatic and what one doesn't. We get a stereotypical opening of peppercorn, mint, and some tart yuzu-like synthetic citrus note. There is an oddly-warm nutmeg counterbalance here, and overall a good many more notes than found in the typical aquatic, but that's just the beginning. Vetiver, grapefruit, cedar, labadinum, and jasmine bring in the heart. Nothing too unconventional but definitely not all notes found in a standard aquatic. The grapefruit and cedar alone feel more at home in an early 2000's woody ozonic a la Calvin Klein Crave (2002) than in a blue fragrance, but Polge isn't done with us yet. The base gets rather warm as per his style with patchouli, a synthetic incense note, sandalwood, and ginger, which causes the confusing middle to make more sense.

In effect, Bleu de Chanel is an unusually complex aquatic done on both Chanel's and Polge's terms. It's a fresh scent from the onset that opens cool and then warms up the closer to the wearer's skin you go. It's not going to win over any old moss heads that would just the same splash their bottles of vintage Antaeus at it like holy water on a vampire, but for fans with broader tastes, this will quickly climb to the top of their favorite aquatics list for it's uniqueness in an otherwise ubiquitous genre. Yes, it's still plenty generalist and gives other such standbys like Armani's Acqua di Gio (1992) a run for their money, but this is by virtue of Bleu de Chanel's versatility and complexity rather than it's universal pleasantness. If you had to own just one aquatic, this could definitely vie for that honor, and if you're an aquatic fan that can only wear Chanel, you're also in good hands. This one isn't quite a year-rounder, as no aquatic really is, but even in EdT strength, this holds up more impressively in cold weather than any other blue juice I've tried. Imagine what the parfum can do in this situation. Well done Chanel, you've managed to take a boring masculine genre and turn it on it's head.

Whispered Myths by Imaginary Authors

JOSH,GREAT JOB SCENT 9.5 LONGITIVITY 9.5 SILAGE 9 VERSATILITY 9. GREATJOB AGAIN,JOSH

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Pretty good but not amazing. Comes off fresh, green and spicy and has some sweetness to be in the modern-style of men's fragrances. Feels very versatile as a daytime scent, casual or dressed up and any season.

I get better than average projection and longevity.

In New York by Van Cleef & Arpels

Super generic ozonic-metallic piece of olfactory urban-fougere aqueous boredom, nothing we have not yet copiously smelt 1000 times in life (Lanvin l'Homme, Bond N. 9 Wall Street, Mercedes Benz Man Blue, partially Chanel Bleu, CH 212 Men, Dior Homme Cologne ecc). Nothing new under the sun.

Marte Evolution by Battistoni

Cypress, dark rooty patchouli, resins, aromatic earthiness and amberish suede in a bewitching ashy "sombre-urban" accord. Marte Evolution (bottle is a work of art) strikes out as a perfect fragrance under my protectionist nose. Try ideally to combine vintage Cacharel Pour Homme with Clive Christian X for men, adding hints of well calibrated smokey suede and dark synth (peppery) ambergris, well Evolution should adumbrate itself on the horizon as an edgy ghost. Opening is all about fresh fizzy/floral sparkling vetiver. Sage and muguet are heady, together with a starring cypress (bracing, cool, aromatic, herbal). Rosemary? Dry down is gradually drier and drier with this opaque soft ashy-suedish (vaguely incensey and definitely smoky) vibe. A sombre piece of urban perfection.

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

Stardate 20190214:

It is well liked by vintage folks and I had high hopes. Alas, a big disappointment. Too many notes resulting in a confused composition that goes nowhere.
Performance is weak too.
Musty, dusty and spicy.
Pass

Fauve by Essentially Me

Here in Berkeley, there used to be a store down the street from me that sold essential oils and teas. Fauve mostly smells to me like that store. Or, to be more specific, it smells like that store, with extra lavender at first, then that store plus extra pine. Hours in, at its deepest base, it's a surprisingly gorgeous mossy musky affair that I really wish I didn't have to sit through hours of muddled essential oil smell to get to. The wonderful base belies that Essentially Me is capable of better work than this - I just feel like Fauve could have been improved by using a few less ingredients.

Cuir de Russie Eau de Parfum by Chanel

The EDP scents beautifully on my Girl in spite of the fact she hasn't really cottoned to the Cuir of any age.
She's a Bois des Ilses and No.5 woman.
I think that the EDP, properly,caters to the current Feminine sensibility.
The EDP scents a little rounded and curvy on my Masculine skin.
The EDT tastes of a little of boot Polish and scents yummy on me,in spite of the Adelhydes and Florals.
The 2015 Parfum is a little smokier, richer, holds closer to the skin on me and of course lasts much longer.
The Vintage Parfum....well, it's just perfectly Grand, Romanov,Romantic....on anyone.
13th February, 2018 (last edited: 15th February, 2018)

Premiere Luxe Oud pour Homme by Avon

The Avon Premiere Luxe line of male parfums is one of several new higher-end creations in recent years never to grace American shores. Ever since the Brazilian market overtook the US as Avon's largest single market, with Eastern Europe not far behind, the once US-based and US-dominant company uprooted to the UK as it's new home base and basically said to us American's "so long and thanks for all the fish" after 120+ years. Granted, we're still 3rd largest, and we get the classics plus the occasional new generalist creation for both men and women buyers, but all the new and exciting stuff that used to flood our catalogs doesn't anymore, and if you want the latest and greatest new higher-end products from Avon, you'll have to import it (which can be extremely difficult to say the least as stores do not stock Avon), but with enough scouring, can be done. Ironically, what Avon always got slammed for by US consumers ever since the 80's was their lack of quality and prestige, with US designers becoming more prevalent, the middle class dividing into rich or poor, and the need for something inbetween Coty and Chanel replaced by Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren, which was a bit more upscale than Avon but still not out of reach. So, if you're American and want a taste of what a higher-quality Avon can be for a guy, the Premiere Luxe line is an option, if you're willing to wait for a month-long shipping time from Avon sellers in the Russian Federation.

This is the Oud version of the line, which was released a year after the original. Both are woodsy oriental fragrances of parfum concentration, but this version swaps out the middle notes of the original with a big old fat Oud/Agarwood note. It doesn't smell cheap, nor really anything like any Avon masculine that us Americans used to our Wild Country and Mesmerize would recognize. It's legitimately of EdP concentration, and honestly very good. It's a simple bouquet with mainly a black pepper opening reminiscent of Blenheim Bouquet (1902), but that's just a piquant counter-balance to the Oud star of the show, with it's tar-like eminence and slightly smokey finish. Oud is much like vetiver or civet: you need to acquire the taste for them if you want them to be full-blast in your fragrance, but once you do, you can appreciate the ambiance they create. The dry down consists of guaiac wood, amber, and a teeny bit of musk. Just like the old days, Avon heaps on the amber finish for it's finest creations, and this is a tradition still alive and well in 2016 when this was released. Oud, pepper, amber, pop! You get nothing less, nothing more, and you get hours of longevity and silliage out of this due to it's EdP performance. I honestly think this could compete fairly well against the Tom Fords of similar Oud ilk, as it would be positioned for far less than than (under a 3 digit price tag for sure) and could be a great entry-level Oud fragrance that contains real Oud unlike others such as Kanøn Agarwood (2012), which cheaply suggests Oud with a combination of who-knows-what. I paid about $35USD before shipping for this, which is well within Arden/Claiborne prices, and although three times higher than the usual Avon price, is still not terribly expensive for somebody wanting to try Oud.

Avon is really making a mistake by denying the home audience that arguably made them what they are, because we wanted better products, then instead making those products after all and cruelly giving them to everyone else but us. Maybe it's some weird sort of teasing or revenge justified with sales demographics and profit charts, who knows? I do know this: fans of M7 (2002) or M7 Oud Absolu (2011) would absolutely love this. It's not as complex or rich as them, but a more fundamental approach without a lot of fillers to smooth out the Oud beyond the amber, so it's a much fatter Oud carried off by a brisk pepper that makes it a great winter time choice for Oudophiles, just if you live in the US, you'll need to jump through some hoops to get it. We've really moved beyond aquatics and gourmands now, so continuing to get these alongside old Avon staples isn't going to keep new generations of Americans interested, but this one certainly will, and at EdP strength, it's a tremendous value with none of the old Avon complaints of being weak or having no longevity holding any weight. Is it an end-all be-all fragrance from the house? No. It's just another Oud take, amongst an ocean of such takes, but what makes it important is that it's Avon's take and damn good one, showing them capable of taking the fragrance world seriously, and the male side of it at that, something they've classically neglected since the end of the 1970's. In conclusions, if none of the who-what-where's concern you, this is a simple effective male Oud parfum, but if you follow Avon like I do, this is a real game changer that is sadly not in the market where it needs to be for Avon to affect the most change.

Tam Dao Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

I like sandalwood scents so this is a good one for me.

Slightly bitter, dry sandalwood. Something earthy or rooty about it. Reminds me of Molecule 04 which is mostly Javanol, a synthetic sandalwood. Unlike Molecule 04, this has a much more soft projection and because of the other notes involved, more interesting or complex.

Masculine and refined, this feels like a fall scent and a little on the dressed-up side to me.

It doesn't project much but it does last all work day.

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

This is a really good, pissed-off "old lady" perfume. It's a mean combo of musk, myrrh, and patchouli. They're all smooshed together here. Every now and then I get a whiff of violet. Barely. Frangipani? None that I can detect.

Diane, reminds me of my third-grade teacher. She always looked pissed-off, even through her silver-rimmed, cat-nappers. She yelled a lot. Mrs. H. would have worn this, just to keep us all in line...

Honeysuckle by Avon

Found an old bottle of cologne at a thrift store. I decanted it into a spray bottle to get the full effect. I get honeysuckle mixed with an aldehyde-like blast. Maybe it was an old alcohol smell. Anyway... Seconds later, I smelled just the honeysuckle. When it mellowed down a bit I got a bees-waxy, honey vibe. I swear I get a mimosa note here, too. A couple of hours later the base was woody.

This, is an Avon scent I don't remember owning before. I have nothing to compare it with. My old formula is pleasant, light, and breezy. I confess -- I purchased this because of the cute, little beehive bottle it came in.

Rhinoceros by Zoologist Perfumes

Boozy, green, pungent. Piney and forest like. Woody, dry heat. Later on, some tobacco and leather. The beast tames down at the base. Yet another Zoologist I have fallen in love with. I love the rum and pine needle notes best.

Jontue by Revlon

I went through gallons of this when I was young. I currently have a vintage bottle, I found at a "junk-thrift" store. It held up to age very well; the top and base notes are still intact. At the top I smell gardenia, bergamot, chamomile, and rose. I get subtle ylang ylang in the middle. Hours later benzoin, oakmoss, and patchouli for the base.

I have not tried / purchased any newer bottles of this to know how this may have changed. The last bottle I possessed was back in the late 80's. I doubt I would even seek out a version today. I am quite satisfied with my old bottle.

Overall, my bottle of Jontue is a very aromatic floral.

Fucking Fabulous by Tom Ford

Based on in the name alone, I expected some sort of loud fruity floral mess, so I was quite surprised by Fabulous's subtle charm.

At its core, FF is a luscious pudding of iris, lightly animalic 70's soapy musk, vaguely woodsy vanilla, and rich ambrox. It's topped with leathery almond at first, quite sweet and with the iris in the forefront. Given time, the almond fades to clary sage, though it's more of an indirect green aspect to the smell than anything specifically "sage". The whole thing slides from sweet to savory over the course of the day, as the salty ambrox eventually takes the lead away from the iris.

I've really enjoyed wearing this and would consider a full bottle. It's a clever take on iris, but may also appeal to fans of Chanel's Cuir de Russie, in that the almond and ambrox make FF smell like a very modern take on a classic iris/musk perfume.
JDBIII Show all reviews

Pegaso by Etro

Try as I might, I only smell synthetic musks. Clean? I guess. Interesting? No. Etro has some beauties, but this should have been called Meh instead of Pegaso.
12th February, 2018

Ferrari Bright Neroli by Ferrari

This is a pleasant synthetic neroli with lemon. Quite light and fizzy.
Quite generic though and this is a theme running through the recent Ferrari releases.
In isolation a certain thumbs up. And it lasts.
However, Hermes tres fraiche , Cartier Declaration Eau (and bleu bois) are both more accomplished and classier and the same price. Creed's Neroli Sauvage is the ultimate but is overpriced and has unforgivable longevity issues.

Fragrance: 3.25/5
Projection: 3.75/5
Longevity: 4/5
12th February, 2018

Ghost House by Anna Zworykina Perfumes

A one of a kind, totally weird (in a good sense) one. A phantasmagoric house in the middle of forest, a foggy transilvanian early morning. A fragrance which manages to be cold and warm all in one. A Ghost House represents my first approach with the Anna Zworykina's alchemic experience and I have to say that this scent lives up to its sinister name. A misty, indecipherable, vaguely floral, balsamic aura envelopes by soon my senses in a sort of fuzzy, translucent, transcendent, puzzling vaguely medicinal embrace. This ghostly misty-resinous aroma is balsamic/medicinal, rooty/herbal and ashy/smoky/cedary/vaguely mineral at same time (supposedly this complex effect kind of being mostly provided by choya loban, cassia, cistus and leafy rose). Conceptually I catch elements in common with the Durbano Black Tourmaline's impersonal and abstract mistiness but whereas the latter turns out prevalently mineral and ashy A Ghost House is more properly vegetal, kind of hay-like (abstractly woody) and medicinal (with a sort of muffled kind of leafy-vegetal, hay-like, ostensibly aldehydic and "hyperbaric" vibe a la Andrea Maack). The note of oudh is in here basically rubbery under my profane nose. Frankincense and choya loban are not traditionally incensey but more weirdly vegetal, ashy, rooty, vaguely rubbery/leathery, gasseous and pharmaceutical (partially a la Boadicea the Victorious Complex and Santa Maria Novella Nostagia). Evolution is not laborious, just the juice becoming more and more warm, smoky, abstract, woody-rooty and balsamic along the way. Dry down smells like a watered down (not in a bad acception) sort of Hascish Homme by Veejaga. I recommend testing this fragrance to all those nonconformist and solitary spirits with the deep soul intimately sucked by dark forest's mysterious loneliness.
11th February, 2018 (last edited: 12th February, 2018)

Cuir de Russie Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I prefer this concentration to the EDT, I think: it's richer and smoother and the barnyard is less jarring. Or perhaps I'm just finally growing into it...

Sex and the Sea by Francesca Bianchi

Oh dear, this was the big fail that I didn't see coming. I ordered samples of all Francesca's fragrances after reading glowing reviews of her latest scent, Under my skin here on basenotes. I was expecting good things.

What I got was a thick, intrusive wall of something indescribably off-putting. My brain seems unable to break down what's going on because all my instincts screamed "abort mission!" whenever I put my nose to my wrist. At times I got whiffs of things that, in and of themselves, are inoffensive or even pleasant: coconutty sun tan lotion, something sandalwoody, something fruity, something salty, but the sum of these parts repulsed me in a way no other scent I've tried so far ever has, including my nemesis Angel with it's putrefied dishrag accord.

I agree with gimmegreen's description of the scent's clagginess; it has an unpleasantly thick, oily texture that becomes more and more prominent over time. I had a spray of Angel's Dust on my other wrist when testing this, and even though it's less offensive, it has a similarly off-putting dry down. I think may be a house style.

What I can say in its favor is that this fragrance is unique; I truly know nothing else that smells like this. It is also very long lasting; 1 spray to the wrist lasted all day, and resisted several attempts to wash it off. The remnants of it even managed to overpower my liberal application of Azuree.

Perhaps I should give this scent a second try, but I don't think I'm brave enough to do it. My aversion to this scent is so strong that I now dread retesting the two remaining samples I have of this house, even though I already tried them briefly earlier this week and didn't hate them. Oh well, you win some you lose some, and I'm sure there will be people who appreciate this scent more than I did.

LouLou by Cacharel

I've ignored this perfume since its creation. Was always attracted to its pretty, blue bottle. I passed on it because of its name. Never liked the name LouLou. One day I found a bottle for a decent price. Decided to give it a try. One sniff - I was hooked.

She is a monster. Slapped me right in the face with no apologies. A floriental opium den of liquid sin. A hand grenade filled with jasmine and incense. It screams, "I'm here!" and you'd better listen.

Not for timid ladies.

Soleil de Jeddeh by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777

Soleil de Jeddeh is a sandstorm of subtle softness of osmanthus, iris and suede powder. There is a slight lemon fruit opening to an otherwise very dry powdery scent. The notes combine for a very smoothe slightly iridescent sheen to the dry down that takes it out of cozy comfort powder territory and into a dry windswept desert sands realm. The fragrance is a warm elegantly cared for suede osmanthus very light incense. Soleil is related to and possibly is a precursor to the more recent Taklamakan, but still is warmer. These notes are also similar to PG Suede Osmanthe but the lemon in the opening makes quite a difference. Unisex and I rate it 7/10.
10th February, 2018 (last edited: 11th February, 2018)

Amber Gold by Ermenegildo Zegna

I feel obligated to echo the opinions NickZee has enumerated about Zegna Amber Gold. This may be Zegna's best fragrance to date and is well worth seeking it out especially if you like amber incense types of fragrance. I do. This Zegna is way up on a pedestal in quality and character with Atelier des Ors Larmes du Desert and Tauer L'Air du Desert Maroccain. The initial rose only opens the door to a rich and dark amber note which is co presented with a healing lavender note. I smell the lavender + amber and I'm thinking Bois du Portugal? or Nicolai New York? which is quite nice, but it continues to get better. The patchouli quickly takes over the lavender, the rose melts into the amber darkness and a dangerous bit of incense slithers its way into the mix turning this to a deep amber incense scent loaded with character and long lasting as well. Zegna has used similar notes in their Elements of Man series for Passion, which is almost as good as this one. Rated 9/10.
10th February, 2018

Dent de Lait by Serge Lutens

Love the crisp opening that sparkles, and reminds me of Broadway Nite. It must be the aldehydes. It's slightly floral and then settles down in a creamy soapy skin scent that is a little metallic. All in all, it's very clean and fresh.

Not weird, not disgusting, not vile. I like that it doesnt scream coconut at you, nor almonds, insteadit all blends together into a cozy clean scent. Like bed linen that has been slept in once. You can still detect the freshly laundered feeling and scent, but it's not as pristine as it was. Still clean, but a bit more lived in.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino Davidoff was to the late 20th century what Alfred Dunhill was to the early part of said century: a luxury goods tobacconist that somehow became more well-known in working-class circles for it's foray into fragrance than their original product lines. Let me ask you: how many friends do you know have smoked Dunhill cigarettes or Davidoff cigars versus those having smelled or owned one of their perfumes/colognes? Yeah, that's what I thought. Davidoff's first eponymous 1984 masculine was a rather verbose chypre that seemed par for the course in the early 80's battle for mossiest scent on earth, but as powerhouses competed for "most likely to clear a restaurant" award, Davidoff decided to sneak this beauty in 2 years later, and it's a far different animal with a delightfully dynamic contrast of sweet florals and skanky undercurrents that would make it come across like Kouros in drag for the uneducated. Lapidus Pour Homme would ultimately take that train of thought even further with it's total lack of reserve. Zino Davidoff is a tease in a bottle that likes to flirt with the idea of being deliciously scandalous, but it reigned in with barbershop DNA at it's core, so it's more like a drag queen getting groomed on an eve of a performance rather than strolling lackadaisically through the street on Pride Day. Make no mistake, this kind of gender flirtation was all the rage in the mid 80's too, as big hair "glam metal" bands tore it up with more mascara than even my mom could suffer to wear, so I'm sure plenty of totally button-down guys dating their high school sweethearts and working on their bachelors degrees in business management wore this to the office. That's just the decade it was in.

Zino Davidoff is rather special among it's powerhouse peers for being an actual fougère, in that old-school floral way the very first and genre-defining Fougère Royale by Houbigant (1882) was over a century before this. I'm not sure if perfumer Michael Almairac was trying to make an 80's powerhouse rendition of Fougère Royale, but this was his one-off with the house, and his long list of perfumes seems to favor mostly-feminines house like Bond No. 9 or Salvador Dali over male-centric designers like this, so that may be where the feminine twist in this tale originates. Regardless of intent, this does indeed come across very gender-neutral just like Fougère Royale, but still have a fat tonka note in the base alongside sandalwood, amber, vanilla, and cedar to let you know where this one casts it's lot. The top notes are where most of the weirdness comes from, with tart openers like bergamot, clary sage, fighting with lavender and rosewood, which is always weird when it's in the top of a masculine. The middle is just flowers, flowers, flowers, with rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, and geranium, the last of which is the only real common staple in masculines, with rose being more common in the male stuff of the 19th century (perhaps another nod to yore from Michael Almairac) than the late 20th. Wearing this on skin means those crisp herbs and woods swirl around the florals, causing confusion above what is otherwise a standard Fougère foundation, making this skanky like a Victorian brothel stocked with male cross dressers looking to pull a fast one, but also smooth and confident in it's end game like the pimp who runs the joint.

Screaming guitar solos, falsetto vocals, and neon bandanas up your elbows will only get you so far in the 21st century, but luckily this will still drive the crowds wild. It's bold ambiguity and sophisticated nature will intrigue any younger person looking for a bottle of the infinitely safer Cool Water (1988) but seeing the Davidoff name and blind-buying this instead. It's "sweet tarts and potpourri" top combined with a masculine and slightly racy Fougère base almost fits in perfectly with the fresh aromatic woods scents of the early 2000's, with only it's own 80's loudness truly giving it away. It's another of several unique powerhouses towards the end of this stellar decade of masculine perfumery, and yet another example of designers trying to break free from the shackles of their own oakmoss addiction, as if they were preparing the clean slate wipe coming as the 90's drew close. Later versions with the block Davidoff logo versus the original script one are purported to be much lighter and more synthetic in tone, so perhaps somebody at HQ already realized how in line with current tastes this was and decided weakening it would make for a second life among newfound peers. Whatever the case, fans of "dirty yet clean" will eat this up, and everyone else smelling it unawares will be either inexorably drawn to it's confusing mystique, or sent running the other way with worried looks on their faces. It's entertainment for the wearer regardless. Now excuse me while I go shoot a music video on the hood of my DeLorean.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

I absolutely love Dunhill Fresh. I also love Fahrenheit by Christian Dior. I wear them interchangeably. I purchased ten bottles because I love wearing Fresh and I get many, many compliments. Many people have often mistaken it for Fahrenheit. One red, one green. I believe the leather note in Fahrenheit is more prominent. Actually, I love them both equally, yet I can never get my fill. I find myself constantly wearing those two. I wonder how they would smell if worn together? I'll have to try that. I give fresh 5 stars, as well as Christian Dior's Fahrenheit.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A different style of vetiver fragrance. RdV does indeed open with a deeper, heavier tone of vetiver. Unorthodox in a genre that is typically sweetened or sharpened by citrus elements, RdV feels raw by comparison. There's no mistaking the vetiver in the first hour, as it's pungent and bracing. Some may pan the fragrance at this point, which would be unfortunate as RdV begins to mellow, turning into a buttery middle, revealing hints of wood and floral as the vetiver sheds it's raw elements. RdV does have aspects that conjure the tone of oud wood, playing through the heart phase, as well as hints of sandalwood and plum. I've always understood vetiver to have multiple dimensions and RdV presents a range uncommon to the market. Better than average sillage and longevity and in my opinion, a must have if you enjoy vetiver. Thumbs Up for me.

Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne