Latest Perfume Reviews

Icon Racing by Dunhill

Smells good in a synthetically sweet, fresh way, similar to many modern scents made to appeal to the masses.

My issue with this fragrance isn't the smell but the lack of projection. It became a skin scent very quickly on my skin, which is no good for a scent that should be so mass appealing. If people could smell this, they would like it. Longevity is pretty good, so although it's a skin scent, it does stick around all day.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is kind of gross. Smells like sourness and cumin/oud/b.o.
Really no roses at all. It's oddly compelling, but it doesn't stink purty at all. All of these rosy, glowing reviews are... not the truth for me.

Prelude to Love by By Kilian

I'm on the fence about this day I like it , then I try it some other time , and not so much...its a nice citrusy flavored neroli with a dab of pepper/gingery spice...but , I don't really get anything awesome that makes it stick out from the crowd of similar fragrances...sometimes I get a artificial vibe from it...along with that is the poor longevity and projection that pushes it back even further into the crowd...When I find myself yearning for a neroli fix , a very similar fragrance , that I much prefer over this , is Xerjoff Oroville... bottom line - Mediterranean style citrusy flower...

Fruit Wood by Pell Wall Perfumes

At last I am able to provide a positive review for a scent from this house, and what a pleasure it is.

First, a few caveats. "Fruit Wood" is an unappealing name. The company's web site refers to various notes that are not present in the pyramid (in particularly, the eponymous woods: rosewood, sandalwood). And the idea of there being "two scents in one" here could alternatively be accounted for by the usual development and movement through the notes of any personal fragrance.

That aside, FW certainly delivers what it claims to. The opening is a fizzy, lemon-citrus burst, with a slightly herbal tinge. The woody base comes on slowly, with just the right amount of sweetness and spice to counter the dryness of the woods. This makes it a rewarding and interesting wear for the duration. It is little more than a skin scent on me (although my usual observation applies, that is, the scent was applied through a sample atomiser), but has good persistance and evident good quality across all stages. So many woody scents become too austere in the base for my tastes, but FW escapes this trap. An extremely well crafted fragrance in my book. A shame that the name is descriptive rather than evocative, as the scent could surely have wide appeal.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Why I love vintages...

As soon as I smelt this one, it took me right back to the reason why you can't beat a vintage chypre. There's something about the fresh combination with the oakmoss and delicate florals done right that just allures and entices you. Truly a lot of French fragrances made during this era were exceptional, composed with care and artistry.

I get a lot of the fresh floral & slightly fruity citrus top, with the galbanum and jasmine coming in, balancing the harsh bitterness and the dusty oakmoss with a vibrant hint of citrus and bright floral. The orris root, sandalwood, lily-of-the-valley and even coconut come together absolutely wonderfully here, with a honeyed gardenia note that compliments other white florals and even hyacinch. Really a fragrance which is multi-faceted and extremely well put together and enjoyable. It's a joy to wear and defies gender classification in my opinion. I'm wearing the vintage eau de toilette and it's really something else. I can't speak for modern formulations or versions but if you do get a chance to try vintage and you are a chypre fan just buy it. If you like Mitsouko and No. 19 then this is a great and unique companion to them. One which has to be experienced. Exceptionally good and what real perfumery is all about.

Tabac Blond by Caron

Caron Tabac Blond Eau De Cologne

With all the wonderful praises of the EDP and Parfum I expected to be wow-ed by this. I have been, however it is in quiet contemplation of the structure, balance and non linear composition.
This opens with a splash of the Peppery Aspect of Carnation. Camphour of the same is subdued. Citric or Acid are minimal. Sugar, of which there is a careful balance, is counterpointed by a tannin, perhaps the Lime Blossom.
The scent takes on the Leather aspect of comparable perfumes,in my memory and direct comparison, to first Shalimar without the Guerlain-ade,Habit Rouge without the Incense,the Vibrant Contemporary lipstick of Cuir Cannage and the Godet Cuir de Russie with a little oomph and sexiness. Deep down is a little growl not unlike the Leather of the earliest Bel Ami.
A petroleum lilt is provided which I would guess would be Jasmine.
Iris is blended delicately and provides(for me) a gentle rigidity beautiful and I suspect a waxiness in background, which then blends with Vanilla to provide a semi-dry Talc in drying. I feel the light breeze of Ambergris and volume-nizing of the Oakmoss.
In spite of the Eau strength, I have, a three hour longevity, with a beautiful dry Tobacco nuanced accord and non-stuffy powder.
Although I pick up no smokiness in the scent proper, I played, by applying a light spray of a very smokey, linear Contemporary scent, to one of my girly's Leather jackets,(I'll pay for that later)sniffed and was brought back to moments of High School 70's and friends, who were girls.
At 15, as like most,I a boy, viewed girls, largely from a position clouded by sexual desire.
A girl wearing the Caron, smoking heavily, wearing glossy Lipstick and perhaps a Leather Jacket, the Caron would have added an intoxicating, "Womanly" scent to the mix. That would have had me... tormented.
17th March, 2018 (last edited: 20th March, 2018)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This is it. Why did I wait so long to try it?

I loved Calvin and Drakkar Noir back in the day, but never came across this one. My dad had a bottle of Aramis he never wore, but I used to sneak into the room and smell it.

This takes me back to that time. When I used to wander down the aftershave and cologne isle at our local drug store and gaze at the mix of blues, greens other colors, along with their soapy, spicy scents.

Years later wandering the department store cologne counters, nothing ever reached out to me like I remembered back in my younger days.

This one takes me right back to when I started becoming interested in fragrance. Those little plastic travel bottles of English Leather and Timberline in my Christmas stocking. The little glass bottles of Brut and Jovan Musk.

This is all that and more. So glad I finally took the plunge.
17th March, 2018 (last edited: 18th March, 2018)

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac is my Dad's everyday aftershave of choice, and it's a smell that brings back memories of the smells of childhood in a military family - along with the pressed uniforms, leather and shoe polish. Tabac is very much that kind of scent. It's that old school combination of citrus, florals and woods, like falling down through a forest: staring off fresh and fruity, becoming more floral and mossy and then gradually sinking into the forest floor. It's not subtle and there are certainly many better examples of this kind of scent out there, but there is certainly nothing at this price that really compares. It is a true classic.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This is so very nice, although not quite as distinctive as I had imagined given some of the reviews here. It has the profile of many Oud-based scents, although there is no actual Oud involved - basically it seems to contain many of the same supporting elements: coriander, jasmine, rose, cedar but built around a different incense core. In many ways, it reminds me of nothing so much as a more sophisticated, subtle and less macho take on something like Old Spice - I'm serious here, and I don't mean this in a bad way at all. However, the dry-down, even the next day, is a lovely chocolate, which you definitely don't get with Old Spice...

Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer

I'm surprised that some people seem to think the rose is lost in this one. It's not at all, it just comes on after the initial burst of dark pinewoods, citrus and spice - it is very much like I'd imagine a Middle Eastern forest to smell. It stays dark and then the rose comes on very strong and oily. Finally, this starts to merge into a deep green patchouli accord. It's really quite amazing but this is one that ultimately I think I'd like to smell on a woman more than on me.

Lonesome Rider by Tauer

Although there are supposed to be some citrus elements on top, this hits you like a short, sharp slap from a leather glove left by the campfire - all woodsmoke and spice right from the get-go. After this opening, there is a lovely iris core, which rises through the smoke, and then the dry down is all animalic leather, wood and ambergris. It's not for the fainthearted and I think if I was wearing any more than the most minimal spray, it would probably knock down passers-by... one of my favourite of the Tauer family.

L'Eau by Tauer

Hmm. Whatever it is supposed to be, this hit me with a heavy woody-incense combination lightened by a bit of citrus and then just gradually watered down - that's literally what it smells like for most of the time it lasts: a diluted - I guess you could call it 'fresher' if you were being charitable - version of the woody-incense that constitutes the signature Tauer core. I tried but I really couldn't get anything much else out of it. It's okay but definitely not my favourite of the Tauer scents.

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer

After having sampled a fair few, I'm beginning to think that most Tauer scents are variations on the same core idea. This one once again starts off with full-on incense, which gives way to the same oily rose that also dominates the middle of Une Rose Chyprée. Likewise, the dry-down reveals patchouli and ambergris, but this one is sweetened by more vanilla. With more than a tiny spray, this could be highly anti-social: powerful stuff!

Au Coeur du Desért by Tauer

I find it a lot less complex than L'Air du Desert Marocain. Weirdly when I first put it one, it had a really sweet, chocolatey beginning - which no other review I've seen has remarked on. From then on it's all leathery wood and incense with no really noticeable change as it dries down - which takes a long, long time. It's very good, but it can't really compare to the subtleties offered by LADDM.

Encre Noire by Lalique

I know some people think this overdoes it on the Iso-E Super but I think it is well-used here to add an intensifying woodsy feeling to what is basically a rather uncomplicated (but effective) vetiver-musk combination. It starts off all dank and dark, classic earthy vetiver, and then gets frankly urinous, almost in the way that real musk used to. This gradually blends into a dark vetiver-musk dry-down. For me, it's a perfect damp winter day scent and may well be my favourite modern take on vetiver.

Figue Sauvage by Laurence Dumont

This is pretty much what it sounds like: figs, fruit, vanilla - rich and jammy. It claims to be unisex, but to my mind it feels much more like something I'd imagine smelling on a wealthy older woman with, as the French say, 'trop de monde au balcon.'

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Icon is another one of Dunhill's updated barbershop scents, in many ways classically masculine. However this one has a relatively sharp / bitter start (neroli and pepper) which then is smoothed out with lavender and something a bit herbal, before finally giving way to a mossy-vetiver with incense (oud) and a iris that comes delightfully to the fore more and more as it dries down. I don't like it quite as much as Edition, but it is a succesful variation on a theme.

Reflection Man by Amouage

This isn't really like anything else I've tried from Amouage. It's restrained, even a bit boring. It's pretty much a floral with some citrus on the opening... I've seen some reviews describing the opening as bitter, but I think they've just been reading the list of ingredients rather than actually paying attention to how it smells on the skin. It's not remotely bitter. It gradually gets more and more powdery and there's a bit of a woody vanilla (and something else a bit artificial and I'm not sure what it is) in the dry-down but it doesn't dominate. It's a well-done modern tribute to the barbershop, but it doesn't do this any better than a lot of other scents like it (almost anything from Dunhill, for example, who specialize in this kind of thing) and it has no real distinguishing element. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do, stay in the background, be polite, not push itself forward at all, but I like my scents to have at least something interesting about them.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

If I had to describe this fragrance through less wording I'd call it 'a modernized take on Black Suede'.It's the smooth,clean,and sweet facsimile that Burberry for Men has with a little more color to it.

I'm getting mildly soapy lavender and just a little amber and vanilla.Dipped in that amber/vanilla combo are the larger apple and black currants notes which comes off nicely as a fall reminder and tart.Mint comes out in this but seems to dwell within the lavender and restraining it just asa mild sense of freshness.Fair amounts of sandalwood and musk in the finish.

No, Burberry for Men isn't an edgy cologne.But it's smooth,clean,and despite being's got a conservative quality to it.I really like it because it's cool running,but the blend makes you think of a 'fall spice' type of scent.It's a light projection fragrance at 3-4 sprays going 4-6 hours at best.Except in spring and summer where it hangs in 8 hours roughly on me.There's a really short list of good stuff from back in the 90's in my taste that I like.A lot of scents were so synthetic,sporty deodorant fresh,aquatic, and tacky.Burberry for Men makes a spot on my list.

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) by Bourjois

Procured an old bottle of this, literally across the street at the antique mart. It has held up very well. An old-fashioned blend of bergamot, violet, clover, lilac, dark rose, green jasmine, and styrax. Comes off as aldehydic even though none really exists. It lasts only for a few hours (probably because of its age). I poured this into an atomizer bottle for use. It helps tremendously with the notes identification; the dispersion of molecules, I guess you'd say. I'd classify this as a unisex perfume. It isn't sweet at all.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I made the dreadful mistake of blind-buying this once 2 years because of the 'high marks'.I guess I lucked out technically at the $38 price tag on clearance.This is an older bottle with a grey marbleized look on the box.Good lord this stuff is really light-took me 5 sprays to get anything from and it's really weak.Even with that many sprays it was barely detectable coming up from my shirt collar.

If the notes pyramid didn't I don't benefit much from it because it's such a haze.It's smooth green,somewhat metallic,and a fabric smell..a suit.I didn't really pick up pepper and musk except when I'm washing it off oddly.It might be there the whole time but it's just a haze and the projection problem doesn't help.It's a typical 90's freshy and not one of the better ones.It has no style beyond the fabric note giving a conservative feel.

In my opinion pass on Bvlgari Pour Homme...the weakest fragrance I have ever smelled...'subtle' is an exaggeration.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali was certainly one of, if not the most eccentric and avant-garde artist of the 20th century, extending his artistic expression not only on multiple fronts, but through developing personas of his female muses, and his own self-made persona as well, which he portrayed himself in public with for his entire life, flamboyant upturned mustache and all. Dali entered fashion by the 1950's, with Elsa Shiaparelli (famous among perfume collectors for 1937's Shocking), and Christian Dior by the 60's. However, in the twilight of his years, he entered the perfume world, creating a perfume bottle just for his eponymous scent which was crafted in honor of his wife Gala in 1983, a year after her death. The bottle for Salvador Dali Pour Homme was also designed by the esoteric genius, and like the launch feminine, was based on his painting "Apparition of the Aphrodite of Knidos". This very dark and gothic masculine fragrance would be created by famed and now currently Guerlain house perfumer Thierry Wasser, as his first major designer perfume release; think about that next time you go sniffing a modern bottle of Guerlain Homme (2008). Tragically, this signature masculine for Salvador Dali would be released two years before his death, and by that point his health was failing, so I'm not even sure if he wore this himself. What I do know is this is a very captivating and murky animalic-driven masculine that really suits the style of the late artist, and in unsurprising ways for those who know me, suits me quite nicely as well. If nothing else, this scent will get attention wherever it goes, you just have to be okay with it not always being (nor likely to be) positive attention.

To start off, fans of Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) and all it's blackened, smoky, and vetiver-rich character will love Salvador Dali Pour Homme. Essentially SDPH is the halfway point between that erstwhile Jacomo scent and Montana Parfum d'Homme (1989) in terms of balancing sweet and smoke. It doesn't have the island spice elements of the Montana scent, but it does have the roundness and body, being less charred than the burnt vetiver of Jacomo de Jacomo and having a small dollop of castoreum for a funk neither Jacomo nor Montana have. SDPH opens with basil, tarragon, bergamot, the odd choice of tangerine with lemon, and a lavender/anise pairing that gives it a slight nod in the direction of Azzaro Pour Homme (1978). All told this is an armistice of barbershop and boudoir as it is, and it only gets better (or worse) as the heart comes in. Jasmine, heliotrope, the expected geranium, and muguet come into play here, presenting a floral core not dissimilar from the original Fougère Royale (1882) and Zino Davidoff (1986) from the previous year, but while Zino really just toys with animalic growl, Dali lunges. Base notes of leather, dirty musk, amber, patchouli, dry vetiver, cedar and sandalwood mix with benzoin which imparts a semi-sweetness of dried honey, before firming up with just a tad of castoreum, but not as much as One Man Show (1980) or Antaeus (1981). I feel the really raw musk here replaces the need for a heavy hit of the castoreum, and instead Wasser chose to blend the two together to make the sensuality here less foreboding and more of that daring "come-hither" stance. Wasser was composing for Dali after all, and Dali was known to have unorthodox sexual predilections, in addition to not always staying confined to his wife, nor even the opposite sex. Dali Pour Homme is perfectly contradictory, quixotic, and in many ways, surreal just like Dali's paintings and the man himself.

There aren't a whole lot of fougères this brooding, heavy, and even against a backdrop of 80's powerhouses, this scent will cut a path through the room, as everyone's fruit-powered civet bombs or brutal bergamot and moss hammers crash to the floor uselessly in awe of the scent trail you leave. You will either make others feel shocked and hopelessly confused, or hopelessly enthralled by it's captivating power as you wear SDPH, with it's leathery soot-ash warmth, and sweet afterglow, like a fire on it's last embers. SDPH is most certainly not an office or casual scent, and the man who appreciates this will find the appropriate time or place to wear it, even if it does last forever on skin if one does attempt an all-day wear from it. I think it's best on a dinner date, much like other darker masculines from this period, or a night at a cozy club. Being another typical 80's oakmoss-heavy fragrance also means Salvador Dali Pour Homme will be good only for cooler seasons, so no summer use with this one please, unless you plan on choking everyone around you. One fair warning: Les Parfums Salvador Dali would do a lot of cheesy things with Dali's own bottle designs after his death, including reusing them over and over with different colored glass or patterns on both male, female, and unisex fragrances. You will see this bottle in different colors for other scents, particularly those of Dalimix (1996), a unisex contender that also spawned flankers, one in a black gloss version of this bottle as well. If the box isn't gray, the bottle matte black or the sicker on the bottle doesn't say "Pour Homme" on it, then it's a different scent, so don't be fooled. If the late Jason Lee's "The Crow" had a scent, this would undoubtedly be it.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I've been wearing samples of L'Heure Bleue edp from various years, and really enjoying it. I get a strong association with nag champa incense sticks, which is the note giving the fragrance so much heft, power, and longevity. It's a note that starts out almost too strong in a way that makes it wonderfully transporting and memorable, and as it develops, it becomes softer, friendlier, and more irresistible.

Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by Tom Ford

What's going on? First Gucci Guilty Absolute, now this Tom Ford offering - some real winners in the designer realm.

This one is eighty percent 80s powerhouse, twenty percent dark noirish spices. Completely contemporary, but with a sense of its history and heritage. Arquiste's El is a good comparison, but El wishes it was Noir Anthracite. As others have noted, there is only a vague relation to the rest of the Noir line.

I will say, though, that it's damned expensive at the moment. Looking forward to seeing those prices come down. Highly recommended.

1828 by Histoires de Parfums

Lovely fresh, cool and clean fragrance from HdP.

17/17 Symphonium by Xerjoff

Opens up with an amazing mandarin orange then quickly turns into a chocolate/vanilla cupcake type vibe. Truly enjoy this gourmand hopefully Sergio Momo adds this into his full line up and not just an exclusive.

Scent: 9/10
Longevity: 10/10
Sillage: 6/10

Charlatan by Fort and Manlé

This is wonderful. I don’t get much chocolate from this, but I do get sweet musky rose, juicy pear, a beautiful sandalwood and an absolutely stunning amber. Longevity is amazing – one spray from my sample bottle this morning, and eight hours later I could still smell it, and it still smelt as great as it did when it first went on. This is a scent you just want to nuzzle into – lovely, cosy, warm and so delicious. I haven’t been able to stop sniffing this all day. A winner for sure.

Harem Rose by Fort and Manlé

Beautiful. A soft, musky, dusty rose, underlain with a slight woody note and a touch of incense. It’s not your usual rose scent, not by a long shot. This is not a young, fresh rose – it’s a deeper, darker, more mysterious rose scent. I don’t picture red roses with this – I see fat, fully blown dusky pink roses in a beaten silver rose bowl. Got a compliment on this from a lady in the shop earlier today. Definitely full-bottle worthy.

Gucci by Gucci Sport pour Homme by Gucci

Similar to other sport flankers with it's sour, green, fresh citrus. The citrus is there throughout but most prominent in the opening. The drydown is soft and mellow, the cardamom and amber come out to play.

I prefer this to Dior Sport, but it doesn’t perform near as well. The opening projects for the first couple hours and then it sits close to skin for the rest of the workday.
joev Show all reviews

Amore Mio by Roja Dove

here is a ylang without a single sour note. must be the spices. it's smooth, very rich, moderately lasting. this frag moves fast to a drydown of powdery cocoa and orris. it's totally sensuous.