Latest Perfume Reviews

Mon Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

To think everything from this house used to floor me. Mon Paris is all peony and cheap musk. The packaging claims it boasts an 'exceptional patchouli,' but apparently this patchouli was so exceptional that it was offered a position in another composition and has left the bottle. While not a terrible scent, Mon Paris is dreadfully boring at best and slander upon its namesake at worst.
08th December, 2017

Scandal by Jean Paul Gaultier

Honeyed minty-angular patchouli, synthetically glamour-chic, musky,like a sort of ideal Alien/Ange ou Demon/Very Irresistibile/Elie Saab Le Parfum's "fruit of passion" (the sophisticated "kind of frosty/anisic" floral element being in this case the languid gardenia). Urban and trendy.
07th December, 2017 (last edited: 11th December, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

Hiked across Paris
As an act of pilgrimage
For my first bottle.

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

I'd describe this as an aquatic, white, and woody floral scent. Slightly powdery. For me, the more I apply, the nicer it smells. Mellows into a creamy wood essence.

Bergamote / Divine Bergamote by The Different Company

Many have given
Youth serum to bergamot
But Jean-Claude's stuff worked.

Bourbon by Demeter Fragrance Library

The super-boozy opening blast has indeed some characteristics of Bourbon - the aroma of a basic Bourbon; this is no Maker’s Mark but not bad. This lasts for about five minutes.

The rest is a generic boozy - or later less so - with an occasional nonspecific fruitiness in the backgound. Very nonspecific.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and two hours of total longevity on my skin.

An autumnal scent exhibiting five decent minutes. The performance is poor. The rest is silence. 2.5/5.

Narciso Poudrée by Narciso Rodriguez

I love Narciso EDP, which I think is one of the best perfumes put out in recent years, and I also really like the EDT, so I had high hopes for Poudree.

This is very sweet to my nose, with a Coca-Cola, maybe even bubble-gummy, aspect that reminds me a bit of Tabu or Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir, with a bunch of sugar thrown in. I don't get any musk (I suspect I'm anosmic to most), no cedar, no vetiver. Just that pervasive, slightly skanky, sweetness.

It was fun to sample—I kept sniffing my nose for much of the afternoon after I sprayed this and enjoyed its progression, such as it is—but whereas I don’t mind trailing a heavy dose of the original EDP, this would strike me as a bit immature at full blast.

06th December, 2017 (last edited: 07th December, 2017)

Paris for Men by Bath and Body Works

Nice, but mislabeled.
Eau de Bath and Body Works
Paris, Ohio

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

A definite thumbs down.
A fellow basenoter commented on the Heeley Yuzu thread that this is easily a flyer and should satisfy any Yuzu cravings.
Wrong.
There is a slightly fresh citrusy opening but from then on its a sickly dry powdery barbershoppy Lemon rose with hint of Yuzu straight up the nose -that would be the pepper- annoyance.
Heeley's Yuzu outclasses it by a country mile and achieves its goal of being fresh and enjoyable metromasculine justifying its place above Heeley's similar product Sel Marine.

Phew. Washed it off.
But if you like dry powdery barber shop smells fair enough.

Fragrance: 2.5/5
Projection: 3.5/5
Longevity: 3.5/5

Journey Man by Amouage

If all colognes were this good then all women would be Gal Gadot or Catherine Deneuve. In other words an unspeakably beautiful, masculine fragrance as much as they are themselves feminine ideals, sophisticated, subtle- depending on how they are dressed or here how much you spray, sexy, glamorous well travelled.
This is fairly linear, with a wonderful rich depth, a warm masculine spiciness. It does indeed reflect the old merchant's spice route but there is nothing old about it.
I have not smelt this on anyone else and everyone loves this on me. An instant compliment getter but only if you chose to let them get close enough.
I never advertise anyone's site but I will point people to the best deal on the market from Notino for their 100ml bottle.
This is my stand out favourite fragrance for special occasions.
It may be a bit too rich and spicy as a daily office fragrance but that's a personal decision although it does leave room for a more playful stablemate such as Heeley's excellent Yuzu which I have just bought a full bottle of or for the outstanding dry fresh French Lover by Frederick Malle.

If you were a car man the above three could perhaps be the equivalent of a Maclarren 720S, a Mercedes E63AMG 4WD , and Golf R.

Fragrance: 5/5
Projection: 4/5
Longevity: 4/5

Frozen Margarita by Demeter Fragrance Library

The first phase is characterised by a strong boozy fizziness, which rather nonspecific and annoyingly synthetic. A icy fizziness straight from a chemical laboratory.

After a while this concoction finally develops some more interesting features: the long-awaited lime-juice aroma develops, as does a vague alholic notion that might represent a rather basic tequila. I am waiting - in vain - for hints of Cointreau, or for any Triple Sec for that matter.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

A mix for cooler summer days; a boozy lime juice of limited distinction. 2.5/5.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Vintage by John Varvatos

You had me at juniper berries. Add in fir balsam, tonka, tobacco and suede? Right up my alley. The Santolina adds to the herbal opening of the juniper, and the patchouli and jasmine in the heart notes round everything off nicely. The jasmine--not a traditionally masculine note--works the same way that the gardenia does in Halston's Z-14, adding a nice floral counterpoint to the battery of masculine staples. And this is a very masculine scent, indeed, especially in the dry down. The next morning, you are not showering off the dregs of the base notes; it is pure testosterone coming off in the steamy water. I generally think that John Varvatos' fragrances are very good designer offerings--as good as any out there and Vintage is the proof of that. An old school masculine powerhouse, revamped for the modern day. Wife approved.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Charged with starting the
Opioid epidemic,
She proudly confessed.

Oviatt Show all reviews

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

As warm as a wool-lined Burberry trench, this is a wonderful winter scent, truly evoking the scents of Christmas as so many have noted. Burberry London creates a Christmas where pipes are being smoked by fires in paneled rooms, with booze and fruit and mince pies on the groaning sideboard and a freshly cut fir decorated in its holiday finery. It is a romanticized Christmas, to be sure, but a warm and happy scent nonetheless. The best thing that I have smelled from this house since its original men's fragrance so long ago. While I tend to wear it in the winter during the holiday season, this would be an excellent way to bring the festive season with you all throughout the year.

Lady Day by Maria Candida Gentile

This is a true gardenia.

Growing up in the South, the scent of Gardenias permeated our backyard - it is my mother's favorite flower, so dad made sure she always had plenty planted near the backdoor and patio.

Gardenias seemed to grow everywhere, and I took it for granted that those sultry blooms could grow here in Maryland, but alas, they could not handle the winters here.

This is definitely one to spend time with before making a decision. I nearly said "no way!", but allowed it to take its time, and once it settled, the childhood memories were so present, I could not deny the quality and care that went into the making of this captivating scent.

Armani by Giorgio Armani

Thumbs way up for this delicious animalic floral. The early 1980s is a favorite period of mine for perfume, and this is a quintessential example of what was possible back then.

The floral-animalic combination is somewhat like the original Boss (Boss No. 1), if it reminds me of anything from my collection, but this is a bigger floral, also bringing to mind Chanel Coco, although I think I like this Armani even more.
05th December, 2017 (last edited: 09th December, 2017)

Bhodi Language by 4160 Tuesdays

Subdued scents of various Australian plants focusing on woods. None of the wood notes are overpowering and it's a very soft and yet slightly sweet wood scented perfume. Wood shavings comes to mind. Although unisex, can definitely see this more on a man than woman, although my hubby really liked the perfume on me.
05th December, 2017 (last edited: 08th December, 2017)

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters by 4160 Tuesdays

Strawberry, Blackcurrant and Pear dominate the opening. I did not detect any rose. This is what La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain SHOULD have been. Fruit notes are not overly sweet and dry down to a softer tone.

Well done combination by 4160 Tuesdays, it does truly smell like I just cut up some fresh fruit, but not overwhelmingly so.

Longevity is not a strong point for this perfume and it faded from a fortissimo of fruit to a piano in a short period of time.

La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Sometimes more is less.
They messed with my La Nuit, but
Sometimes mess is l'or.

Homage Attar by Amouage

Stardate 20171205:

I had heard a lot about Amouage's attar and since I came to this hobby late, I had missed the boat. They remained mythical unicorns.
Finally I got the opportunity to try them, thanks to wonderful basenoters. And I am not impressed at all.
Tribute is nice but nothing spectacular and Homage is almost a scrubber.
Homage is in same vein as the cheapo attars that you can buy from a local attar shop.
The rose accord is thin and screechy and dominates the top for a while. This accord is very common in cheap attars and I dislike it a lot. This is not the typical rose oud accord. I think it is the "Amber" (blue amber) that is main offender.
With time this mellows out and becomes bearable.
Avoid

Émeraude by Coty

Stardate 20171205:

Vintage Version.
I find it very similar to Shalimar. The dirty vanilla, the musk , the amber.
But not as good.
And that makes sense cause this came 4 years before shalimar. Guerlain copied and perfected this Coty's oriental just like Mitsouko was a perfected version of Chypre.

Neutral to Thumbs up

Babylon Sunset / Says Alice by 4160 Tuesdays

Babylon Sunset/Says Alice starts with a peachy/nectarine note with a powdery base. It's a very warm fragrance and it took a long while for me to be comfortable with it - not a perfume I would normally pick for myself. As the day went on the powdery note moved to a musky base and the nectarine note was faint, but still there. By the end of the day, I did detect a vanilla base and a bit of amber.

What did surprise me was another co-worker pulled me aside and asked what I was wearing because she loved the scent, something which hasn't happened in a while. The perfume was definitely more pleasing to people around me.

First impressions - while Babylon Sunset is not generally my cup of tea, and it did take me a while to get used to it, overall I give it a positive review. While not a perfume I would buy for myself, this is definitely one I would pick out for someone else. It has grown on me. I find that others like a peachy/vanilla scent on me.

Babylon Sunset is similar to Lancôme's Tresor, and is like the lighter sister of it.

Gingerale by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is a pleasant opening that has some features of ginger ale: the ginger ale aroma, the lighter, modern version but a bit sweeter that Canada’s Dry or Schweppes initially.

After a while the fizz gets stronger and towards the end is so dominant that it is a bit too intensive, overwhelming the actual ginger ale impression.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

Agreeable initially, then a bit too synthetic and overly fizzy. 2.75/5.
kewart Show all reviews

Ambre et Vanille by E.Coudray

Oh I love this scent. It is luscious, comforting and sultry. I wear this on nights out in the winter months and sit back and wait for the compliments to roll in.
Vanilla - yes for sure,but supported by lashings of amberry goodness knows what else.
This is the perfume of a pampered goddess.Put it on and you will purr all night.

Ouverture by Sospiro

Mmmmm delicious...smells good enough to drink....a yummy citrusy concoction with flower petals floating in it stirred around with a fresh pungent cinnamon stick...more yin than yang, but i love wearing this...the figgy accent also helps set this apart from the norm...to me, it seems to add a sort of thickess/meatiness to the overall feel...keeps getting a liitle more flowery as it moves along and the citrus goes to the back...settles down to a musky/creamy vanilla tinted wood...a very pleasant olfactory treat...

Layton by Parfums de Marly

what hits my nose immediately is that generic wood smell that is so prevalent in just about every other designer fragrance...get a few little nuances of apple and flower...i also get the effect that i've heard others mention of a slight tobacco flavor...i have to agree with the thought that this is a fairly standart designer formula/structure made with slightly better niche quality ingredients and blending...office friendly for sure...have to make a major pass on this one...no wow factor...gets kind of borderline cloying...somewhat aromatic...i get bored of this pretty quick...

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake

A mystic combination of roasted leather and soapy-spicy "fumee'" waxy-honeyed amber a la Miller Harris La Fumee Maroc. A flamboyant honeyed spicy oriental focused on smoky leather (utterly dried down by harsh papyrus and burnt resins/elements from the woods) and old spices. Along the way I get a sort of rubbery touch of creamed myrrh/frankincese. The soon collapsing structure does not live up the relentless flow of time.
04th December, 2017 (last edited: 11th December, 2017)

Les Déserts d'Orient - Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain

Very lovely. A favorite combination of mine: rose, oud, patchouli, and benzoin. Very dry. Very real smelling. Wish I'd found this years ago. I definitely would have searched for a full bottle to purchase.

Pure XS by Paco Rabanne

A more than mediocre super chemical gingery/cardamomish/woody aroma with zero structure and articulation.

Extreme Night by Michael Kors

Synth woodiness, rubber and angular frozen peppery spices. A super balsamic rubbery reverie from the extremely metallurgical winter Tokyo-suburbia's techno night.