Latest Perfume Reviews

Pure XS by Paco Rabanne

I am undecided on whether to give this three or four stars.
A bit too much Vanilla in the first 15 minutes. The vanilla stays there providing a buffered entry zone into the smoky spicy woody dry down and is there to lighten it up and give it some extra interest to prevent it being too unidimensional but fails as it is the wrong ingredient, and ultimately the sharpness ends up causing olfactory fatigue.
This answers my opening dilemma. Nice but I would not wear it so 3 stars. Shame. PR almost nailed it but its a wistful 'also ran'.
I absolutely get Philistine's comment about incense fragrances. My absolute ideal is Eau du Tigre which mixes citrus with incense to perfection for 15 minutes then you are left in Church for the remainder. We need something where the citrus does not burn off.

Fragrance: 3/5 It could have been so much better
Projection: 4/5
Longevity: 4/5

Grapefruit Tea by Demeter Fragrance Library

The tea is a restrained Darjeeling style, but with hints of greens tea. It is clearly overwhelmed by the dominant grapefruit note.

This is a sweetish and ripe grapefruit, which is not really the refreshing type - very much unlike Creed’s Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse, for instance.

I get soft sillage, limited projection and three hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant albeit weak fruity tea scent for warm spring days. The performance is poor, and the notes are a tad generic. 2.75/5.

Asphalt Rainbow by Charenton Macerations

No doubt that this is rose to my nose...CDG/ELDO school of thought...crisp/sparkling/fizzy rose...quasi-industrial accents...to me, does for rose what Christopher ST did for lime...funky futuristic upgrade of a classic smell...taking rose to the next level...interesting and pleasing enough to make this a full bottle consideration even though I already have a nice selection of rose...decent throw and lifespan...mid and drydown have an outstanding support of ambery/woody accented patch...

Golden Powder by House of Oud

Very pleasant spiced vanilla...background mist of tobacco...would hang out with Tobacco Vanille, Herod and Naxos...nice support from woods...mostly noticing a creamy sandalwood touch...might be full bottle worthy if not for the lack of throw...i like a little more oomph to my juice...also, Naxos does a great job filling this spot in my wardrobe...smells too similar...plus it doesn't seem to hang around too long...shame, because it does smell really nice...

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The cool sweet proof that
Flankers immortalize by
Pillarization.

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

Interesting cause one of a kind, I get angular and dry fruity notes, an undiscernible sort of humid edible element from the wood, woody resins, malt, coconut, bark, sweet musk and soft suede. Cozy and "country side type". A teenager in leather jacket "at saloon" kind of fragrance. Southern? Yes, may be. Tropical? Naa.
03rd December, 2017 (last edited: 11th December, 2017)

Zara Spicy by Zara

A sort of Viktor&Rolf Spicebomb's close relative (a powerful nutmeg/clove/cinnamon-centered dominant accord) with a notable synth pencil shavings lingering woodiness which I don't crave for.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

A very fruity floral. Tons of fruit, in fact. Sharp floral mix, in the middle. It ends with vanilla and blackberry. Sweet spring or summer concoction.

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

Classic smelling in a nice way, the smell of know-how, citrusy - not too dissimilar to an Eau de Cologne - with the warmth of other notes adding depth and complexity. Easy to wear. Nice from the first spray.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Laurent Le Guernec's
Beautiful complications
Always intrigue me.

Lily of the Valley by Demeter Fragrance Library

The initial stage is a rather generic nonspecific floral impression that never really takes off on my skin. It remains subdued and flat.

During the second half it does not become much stronger, but with time a pleasant lily of the valley develops: with only mild sweetness, the characteristics of this flower are well expressed, with the green touch of the leaves included. Not bad at all and this stage.

I get soft sillage, limited projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

This spring scent makes a mixed impression, and its synthetic nature is not helping; but eventually it results in moments of pleasant olfactory experiences. 2.75/5.

Eva Kant by O'Driù

This smells very medicinal and feels a bit sharp when it first goes on. It settles quickly though, and then I get a lovely, spicy, creamy, woody vanilla. It’s a complex mix, but the notes all work very well together. This is the second O’Driu scent I’ve tried (I have added Pathetique to my stable) and I rather like it. I’m not into assigning a scent to a particular season, but this is another one I could see working better in the cooler months. It’s 30 degrees (Celsius) today and very humid (and therefore very sticky and gross), and although I’m really enjoying the way this has unfolded, it feels a bit heavy for a day like today. Will definitely re-visit this little beauty when summer is over and the cooler weather kicks in. But I’m already thinking full-bottle at some stage.

Wow! by Joop!

Nothing special, just a decent conventional synth take on woody dry/earthy (vaguely percil shavings along the way) geranium/violet combo with a final touch of soothing tonkinian vanilla (in order to warm up and balance the angular hesperidic/woody/floral main accord). Joop follows the trend represented by many new generation designer virile (and utterly woody) synth dry woody/floral which are by now a sort of must (and which let me totally indifferent). I agree on that Wow smells similar to Armani Eau de Nuit but also to several Fendi, Gucci (Gucci PH 2) or further designer creations crowding the shops shelves.
02nd December, 2017 (last edited: 04th December, 2017)

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I have a decent size spray sample of this, and it reminds me quite a bit of Patou Pour Homme, a lighter citrus version, with a smoother leather texture, a beautiful, complex fragrance.
02nd December, 2017

Lilac by Demeter Fragrance Library

The light floral note that characterises this Demeter has some lilac characteristic, but it is not a very vivid or intense one, and it is endowed with a sweet undertone. In atmosphere it is more on the bright-ish side.

I get soft sillage, adequate projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

Whilst not without its charms, this spring monofloral is a bit bland in general, and it is ever so bluntly synthetic in nature. For the lilac-seeker of interest, otherwise on the lower end of mediocrity. 2/5.
02nd December, 2017

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

A bit ‘Lectric Shave, a bit Gucci Nobile. A nice scent, bold and billowy.

I Love New York for Him by Bond No. 9

"Love the Toyota",
He said, from powdery clouds,
"And heaven can wait."
kewart Show all reviews

Fendi (original) / Fendi Donna by Fendi

Not for the faint-hearted, this Italian, discontinued edp packs quite a punch. I love to wear it in the depths of winter, when it blooms on the skin and especially on fur (fake of course!)To me it smells like a liquid fur coat in fact; multi-layered red flowers, vanilla, woods, leather and spices. It goes on a bit harsh but warms up and mellows given time.

Do go very easy on the sprayer with this one or it becomes a weapon of mass destruction. Less is definitely more - one spray to a wrist in the evening and I can still smell it the next morning.

I think I am just about old enough to wear this with aplomb, now I am in my sixties. It would be wasted on a young ingenue. You have to have lived a bit to wear this gem.
I treasure my bottle and save it for the right occasion.

Queen of Hearts by Queen Latifah

Sweet citrus.
Fresh green notes.
Slightly fruity, white floral notes.
Mellow base of musk, patchouli, amber, a touch of vanilla.

Overall a pleasant, everyday, feminine scent.

Incense by Demeter Fragrance Library

This incense is soft incense that is based on a slightly sweet resin is note. It lacks any harshness, and i do not get any balsamic or medicinal character. It is more a woody incense concept.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

This is quite a pleasant autumnal creation, but it is very linear and a tad generic on me. Agreeable, but not really anything special or exciting. 2.75/5.

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

Between Terre d'Hermès
And Eau de Pamplemousse Rose
Lies a point Très Fraîche.

Firefly by Demeter Fragrance Library

Crisp, fresh, green wet and dew-dripping grass with earth, soil. Nice, but linear. A slightly rotten undertone. Evoking summer’s in the grass, nature.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and four hours of longevity on my skin.

Bright and summery, but very linear. Quite synthetic. Well-made in principle, less rich than Geoffrey Beene’s Bowling Green but vivid enough. It has limited longevity, but so do have fireflies. 3.5/5.

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

A pleasant neroli with floral elements. After some time though, I got a bit tired of it being somewhat one-dimensional and gave it away. There are other similar and more complex fragrances out there.

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

This is a fruity leather fragrance, but the leather is in the background, while notes of chocolate and truffle together with some woods create a scent that brings to mind modern gentlemen's clubs, or at least scents that people wear therein. The leading fruit note is an inviting dark plum, the sort one finds in rich plum cakes. While all of this is enthusing and well done, the problem is that the fragrance soon collapses on skin after two hours. The remnant is a standard woody amber that's very commonplace, and only half a notch above in quality compared to average mall scents. A hint of the earlier extravaganza does linger on, but it's too little and more of a consolation than an aftertaste.

Shows a lot of promise, but eventually underwhelming and disappointing. I also find Tom Ford Extreme to have close sillage that becomes more faint over the hours, and duration is about five hours which is sub par for its style. Among similar fragrances I find Plum Japonais a more interesting proposition since, unlike Tom Ford Extreme, Plum Japonais holds on well to its initial interesting accord of plum with woods and amber.

2.5/5

Coach Leatherware No. 01 by Coach

Nutmeg, vetiver
And the scent of oiled leather
Make this a keeper.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

80's Vintage Extrait

Crikey! A big wallop of Muguet. Similar breathtaking, send your head spinning, burst of Yeasty Floral as Lutens Purple Sarrasins. It differs in that Civet grabs the nose hairs and folds the path into a magical land, through of the Month of May.
Galbanum draws one into the fresh Green-ness. Those little White flowers, set against the bright lushness, have me feeling, I am being devoured.
Nostalgic whispers of my Maternal Grandmother, who loved all of the Lily family, particularly the Muguet.
She was Viking fierce with her love and although I appreciated her fragrant sillage, I was a little frightened of her, as a youngster.
With Diorisimmo, one needs to be comfortable with a little of the LOV Progesteronic Feminine strength.
Being an extrait, a half an hour in and I am captivated by the slightly soapy, billowing halo that surrounds my corpus. Here, I can recognize the Roudnitska Symphonic orchestration. Diorisimmo treats the LOV with the respect that it deserves.
For myself, I would tend to take my Muguet, in the likes of it's note in Eucris etc.
This scent is made for Women, who are most Feminine and carry a core of burning fierceness, within an exterior, slightly cool.
Recommended in 80's Vintage, surely.

Layton by Parfums de Marly

This is a pleasant inoffensive combination of apple, violet, sandalwood with a hint of pepper. It is fairly linear after a slightly sugary fruity opening. The sweetness is immediately a warning sign. The sweetness settles yet remains as an undertone. I am sweet enough already. Nothing to dislike but then that's not the point of wearing a fragrance. It has to be pleasing, intriguing, elegant, classy in other words convey some pleasure to the senses that raises primarily your dopamine and hopefully those around you. It is a shame as this almost gets it right. There is a freshness and bite simmering in the midrange but that sweetness and slight cloyiness handcuffs it to the 'also ran'. There is a great masculine scent hiding there.
This was recommended to me as the best example from this fragrance house by someone who regretted buying a full bottle of Pegassus and put in straight on ebay. His recommendation was clearly based on this being less awful than Pegassus.
A neutral from me.

2.5/5
Projection: 3/5
Longevity: 5/5 (seems to be a consensus)
29th November, 2017 (last edited: 30th November, 2017)

Dahlia Divin Le Nectar de Parfum by Givenchy

Considering I have almost emptied my bottle of this after buying it a year ago tells you I've reached for this one quite a bit.

For me the vanilla and the tonka bean really shine after all the top notes have worn off. There is a really sweet nectar note mixed with a very creamy base. Slightly gourmand, but not overly cloying.

Recommend for colder weather or going out at night. Has great longevity as I can still detect it on myself after a full day at work.
29th November, 2017

Luna by Penhaligon's

Wonderful surprise sample I received after placing a Penhaligon's order. It's a light fruity floral fragrance and one I did not expect to enjoy so much. I absolutely adored the citrus opening, but after the initial dry-down the rose and jasmine came forth and neither are super overpowering, just a very light floral fragrance. I have yet to detect the juniper when wearing Luna.

Perfect for hotter and warmer weather. It's very hard to find anything offensive with Luna. My only caveat is the staying power, which lasts about 5 hours at most.
29th November, 2017