Latest Perfume Reviews

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

Paysage au Paysan (Landscape with Peasant), Honfleur, 1912 by Félix Vallotton

Bazar Femme by Christian Lacroix

A well done fruity floral. The peachy note isn't too obnoxious. The base is rather pale. Overall it's breezy and delightful. The bottle and packaging are fun.

You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange

The first thing I felt was mint, a powerful, refreshing mint as someone rubbed a mint leaf into his hands. I picked the mint from the fields many times. This smell is exactly the same.
After a while some strong green notes feel their presence. They change the direction of the perfume a little, but the mint remains at the center of the composition.
Because mint is very often used in medicine, it can be said that the smell of the perfume recalls the medicinal smell of the pills.
The dry-down is minty musk. Now the mint is stronger to my nose. It is like a last swing before it disappears altogether.
It is a nice perfume for summer, sparkling, boozy, with a lot of personality. It is a try!

Aspiration by Louis Cardin

Super spicy, I finally pick up powdery saffron in particular. A classic fleeting herbal/aromatic dry opening (vaguely a la Paco Rabanne Xs or D&G Pour Homme) finally reached by soapy/musky/rosey resinous balsams with a powdery/chypre (brightly "laundry-detergent/toilette cleaner" and slightly talky) undertone. Dry down conjures me vaguely scents a la Dueto City Oud (but in a less resinous and synthetic way). In conclusion I detect a sort of harsher "hay/papyrus/pencil shavings-like" final twist. Not properly an olfactory "Aspiration" for me.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Heritage Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

As a longtime fan of Heritage EdT (of which I have plenty of vintage), I was worried about trying the latest version of this; everyone raves about the vintage and I did not want to be disappointed about a EdP version of one of may favorite scents. In the end I got a bottle of the newest version (wood cap) and it is wonderful--richer and warmer than the EdT and I detect a slightly gourmand chocolate/tonka note--nothing like as strong as in L'Instant Pour Homme but present in the EdP where I do not get it in the EdT. The citrus and lavender opening is bright and wonderful and slightly toned down from the EdT. I have often thought that Heritage is the real Shalimar Pour Homme, much more so than Habit Rouge, and in the EdP strength I feel this even more strongly. Now I am on the hunt for a bottle of vintage....

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci Guilty Absolute is very niche-like - one of the more surprising and daring major designer releases in years. The average mall shopper will likely recoil in horror.

It attacks out of the bottle with an intensely bitter leather/tar/pine accord, which quickly evolves into a dry, woody patchouli, still with a bitterly astringent leather backdrop. Very earthy and austere, and not at all what I expected from Gucci. A dusty vetiver creeps in and softens things ever so slightly, but for the most part, as promised, this is a linear scent after the first 5 minutes. Powerful stuff.

I personally find this more challenging than Pour Homme, Gucci's last dry, woody, uncompromising release.

Kudos to Gucci for throwing a well-made curve ball at the perfume industry. I hope Guilty Absolute does well, but frankly, I'd be surprised.

Si Lolita Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

Smells like purple or black. Darker than original Si Lolita, for sure. I really enjoy the sweet pea note. The vanilla isn't over-bearing.

Fucking Fabulous by Tom Ford

The Almond and Tonka dance together like Fred Astaire. My go to fall fragrance for sure. And of course the "what are you wearing?" Me: "Fucking Fabulous!" Just doesn't get any better than this..'Thanks Tom. - The Nosy Neighbor

Jardanel by Jean Desprez

If there were such a fragrance class as a green oriental, this would be it.
Most fragrance houses that have a bestselling scent have less well known scents that are equally as good as the bestsellers, if not better..Carven and Jean Desprez come to mind. Carven is famous for Ma Griffe, but in my opinion, Robe d'un Soir is better. Desprez is famous for Bal A Versailles, but I think Jardanel is better.
I recently got a sample of the parfum and it is hard to describe, except to say it is lovely. When first applied, it is strong, if not acrid. (It has not "turned", because the vial had not been opened, and the color was still kind of pale.)
But after a few minutes, when the notes start to meld and lift, Whoa, Nellie!!
Sillage is good, but not monstrous. Long lasting. I cannot separate the notes, not do I want to, as it would destroy this elegant mystery. Love it, love it, love it.

The Silk Series : Vanilla Silk by Gallagher Fragrances

Gallagher Fragrances Vanilla Silk is a simple exploration of vanilla and how it can be mixed with woods effectively. As the other reviewer points out, it smells a bit like vanilla mixed with musk and guaiac wood, soft and delicate relative to the vanilla but still providing some grounded woodiness.

Vanilla Silk's non-vanilla elements can be a little difficult to pin down, but they're not really cedar or incense (that would remind me of L'Occitane Eau Des Baux) nor a more complex offering (like Le Labo Vanille 44, which is also exorbitantly expensive).

The guaiac characterization really hits the heart of it---a sweet, soft wood, and it blends very well with the vanilla, which isn't a deep bourbon vanilla but rather a more floral vanilla that pairs with the wood in a year-round-friendly fashion.

The pricing in the Silk series is a little lower than the main catalog of Gallagher perfumes, so at $100 for 100ml, Vanilla Silk is reasonable to acquire.

Performance is very good, better than average a moderately-priced EDP.

This is likely my single favorite offering from the Gallagher house thus far. Very well done.

8 out of 10

Cologne Intense Collection : Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Basenotes also lists "Kohdo Wood Collection : Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone", so I'm confused about which one I'm actually sampling here. My small atomizer is simply labeled "Dark Amber & Ginger Lily / Jo Malone".
Whichever one this is, I'm addicted.
On my first sampling, I rated "below average" since the opening was overwhelmingly bitter woods. I just hadn't given it enough time.
As it develops over an hour or so, at least on my skin, it becomes lighter, powdery and intoxicating. A night-time, sensual fragrance for evenings at home. And contrary to many reviews here, this scent lasts and lasts on me, improving with each hour.
It's one of the stars of my small collection.
rbaker Show all reviews

Blanc by The White Company

Light and airy. A fresh orange-citrus opening that is quite restrained and unlined by a fruity impression.

In the drydown geranium and rose a set of floral heart notes, with touches of neroli present at times.

The base adds white musks and a slightly ambery finish.

The sillage is moderate, projection is adequate and the longevity six hours on my skin.

A nice, light and elegant summery vibe, nothing too exciting but crafted well. 3/5.

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

Blue Nude by Pablo Picasso 1902

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

this is quite an appealing fragrance.. not familiar with all the notes but I can say - this is similar to Kenneth cole for man (round gray bottle)... and has a dry down similar to creed Viking.
i have a small bottle from the black, man, extreme set and it is the best one of them all. I think I will purchase a big bottle!

J'Adore by Christian Dior

A Snuggle dryer sheet that's been used to wipe down a potted faux rosebush with an anonymous white musk shampoo.

J'Adios.

New West for Him by Aramis

Warning !Disgusting! .Worse than toilet freshener.Ozonic? No! Subtle? No! Any depth? No! Sickly sweet and super feminine. I bought some on the strength of reviews .lESSON LEARNED! Had to write this prior to going and scrubbing it off . Macdonnalds toilet smells way better. Very eighties , very heavy, sorry gotta go wash before I LOSE MY LUNCH.

Theorema by Fendi

I swore to myself that I was not gonna get on the Theorema train, damn it--the reviews, the prices, the hype, the discontinued status, and all the wailing and lamentation that comes with discovering a classic that's no longer made--that marvelous but devastating feeling of discovery and loss.

And then, like Pandora with the box, I sometimes poked around online at the minis for resale and wondered. Meh, it's a serious oriental, I figured. It'll be another Shalimar--no doubt something beautiful, but not exactly for me. I decanted my mini into a sprayer, gave it a couple of tries, and figured I was right from the beginning--a big, clanging opening, a tangy and fresh and very novel kind of citrus, caroling huzzahs of spices, and hinting at an even grander second movement with Ozmanthian statues lurching out of the sand, trains of camels and dancing girls, and a last act reclining on a dream of vanilla. If that had happened, I wouldn't be writing about Theorema right now.

Instead, Theorema does something that few perfumes constructed in this (relatively recent era) do: it downshifts into another gear entirely--and then *kicks it*. That richness that could support an upright spoon swirls away, and what's left is a sheer, gauzy, psychedelic golden space fever dream--that lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts. And I think that's what everyone moons about. Yes, it's exotic, and it smells like spice, and I vastly prefer it in cooler weather, but it never becomes a costume drama. It's just opaque enough to feel like perfume, while it remains translucent enough that it also somehow melds together with the wearer. This effect holds true in all formulations, and that may be the genie in the bottle--that mutually transformative power between perfume and self that I think that all perfume lovers--even the most jaded of us--never stop searching for.

I could try to describe exactly what it smells like, but the truth is that Theorema is constructed of familiar materials and smells--honestly, we all know what amber smells like; and if you're not familiar with osmanthus, you can find any number of people (present scribe likely included) singing its praises online. That part is all there in the pyramid. What's great about Theorema is the construction, the way that bits and pieces of fade and return and recombine into striking new combinations, and the way it does it all in such a lovely mezzo voce, never demanding, just hanging in there with you. Those key changes, those subtle switches of mood, from almost sweet to almost dry, and the way it hangs in there and dances between them tirelessly (and the way that, hours later, it slowly, slowly, spins to a stop and finally comes creeping down beside you on little cat feet)--that's why I think Theorema is great.

Buy the ticket and take the ride: those little minis are a steal, and they will not be there forever. But don't say you weren't warned.

19th September, 2017 (last edited: 21st September, 2017)

Ciel d'Opale by Ann Gerard

Sweet lemon opening, sparkling green sheer honeysuckle (a little chemical in the opening, but not bad - honeysuckle is difficult!). Quickly sweetens into a soft, sweet lemonade, galbanum, jasmine, vanilla scent. Actually reminds me a lot of the mid-notes of Décou-Vert by Laboratorio Olfattivo, which is on my test list (it's a green, lemony white floral as well). Wearable :)

Monsoon by Dame Perfumery

A well done and delicate aquatic; it could use some omph like Herb Man has, but for those that like their perfumes to be unobtrusive this is quality. Its projection is pretty far though despite not being a fragrance powerhouse. Definitely a like from me.

Chance Eau Vive by Chanel

Cheap smelling for Chanel - smells like vague tart fruit, jasmine and screechy vetiver. Chemical chemical.

Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777

Bitter lemon and smoked cedar opening - the other reviewers are right that it does have a damp peat mossy / stinky decomposing wood chips side to it. I get strong resins at once, not just in the drydown. The bitterness smooths out after a few minutes and gives way to curls of smoky, sweet resins. Has a note that smells like smoked tea / imortelle / tobacco - similar to the smoky sweet bones of l'artisan's tea for two. Definitely a perfume for a rainy day.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Im really impressed with the Alfred Dunhill house for their fragrances, Fresh is a favourite of mine but Desire just pips it to the post. I will always have a bottle of this in my collection. Now I say this in a very endearing way, the fragrance reminds me of a talc/baby shampoo product which I cant pinpoint and this is a thought that is evoked in my mind every time I smell this stuff. Desire is extremely pleasant and versatile. 8/10

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Fresh is an understatement. This really is the definition of fresh it doesn't smell like Davidoffs Cool Water but it has that same effect where you keep sniffing it for that initial blast of clean pleasantness. It slowly fades away which is a shame because you just want it to hold that initial sharp aquatic clean injection but it just goes quite quickly. 7/10

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This is the holy grail of fragrances. This lingers for days and on a night out will turn heads. I can not compliment this fragrance enough, I think the only cologne for me which has a primal seductive effect on the opposite sex as much as this, is Creed Original Santal and these two fragrances are gulfs apart in term of their constituent ingredients.

Black Orchid is bit hard on the pocket but will last for a long time so is money well spent. Literally two or three sprays will last for a solid day. You will then get hints of it days later in your bedding or anything else you've come into contact with. Do not go over the top spraying this stuff and do not wear it in the heat. 9.9/10

Heritage Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

The 90's Vintage EDP. Now you're talking. Think holding closer to the skin, intimate, a halo around the whole of you. Golden oil, slightly darker, vaguely dusty.
Like them all, bigtime, however the 90's Vintage EDP and EDT are so very Full Fat
Scrumptuous.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This was a Christmas present in 2016. Whoever got me it thought ahh Carl loves his aftershave. Lets get him something off the peg which looks expensive/designer because it has "CK" written on it.

This stuff is poor. It has nothing to offer, it doesn't develop over the course of the day its just extremely potent when you first spray it then stagnant and synthetic. I now keep this in my cars glove box and use it as an air freshener. 2/10

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

I blind bought this fragrance after typing "top 10 cheap aftershaves" in YouTube. A video of some suave German bloke popped up and he done a countdown from 10 to 1 of his favourite non bank busting fragrances which apparently makes the girls drool. Moschino Uomo came first with Mont Blanc Induviduel a close second and then third was CK Shock or Nautica Blue. Anyway I got my a** down to my local Beauty Base shop in Ealing, West London after work desperately trying to find this stuff. The box looked very 70's and didn't really catch my eye, it was just black and white stripes, it was also tucked away and the plastic wrapping had gathered quite a bit of dust. Luckily for me, there was a tester at the back of the shelf.... I was extremely disappointed on the first couple of sprays and I couldn't detect any character. After about 25 sprays and dodgy looks from the shop assistant I left and carried on shopping around the indoor precinct. After about 10 minutes I went outside and that's when it hit me, I was now exposed to the elements and a sudden waft of chalky, soapy loveliness enveloped me, I could sort of see what all the fuss was about at this point. It reminds of an expensive Creed aftershave called Royal Leather or Royal Water. It just stayed with me for a very long time and then it dried down into this sophisticated, inoffensive masculine musk. This is when the compliments started rolling in. I stepped into a packed multi-storey car park lift and 3 or 4 people were showering me with compliments. Ill be wearing this into the office tomorrow and will loiter around the communal areas like the kitchen and photocopier to see if it has the same effect. Top stuff 8.5/10

Concrete by Comme des Garçons

I dived into Comme des Garçons Concrete without prior knowledge of the press release, and Concrete does not smell like concrete the material, nor like sandalwood to me. At least not the characteristics that I associate with the sandalwood from smelling its essential oils and a few sandalwood-centric fragrances.

I do sense a discreet plaster-like smell upon spraying Concrete, but the fragrance is mostly dominated by a sweet cloud of raspberry and red berry jelly, oily artificial rose, an ionone-like violet note, muted vague spices and musky elements. The whole effect, especially when I get a whiff in the air, is reminiscent of a flattened, less layered, and more synthetic-feeling Féminité du Bois.

A nebulous, white flour-y wood starts to surface after about 1 hour. With the heavy sweetness of raspberry and rose, I don't associate it with a particular material. Instead, it's more like an underlying chalky texture beneath the rose raspberry jelly. Actually, the bubblegum sweetness of the raspberry and this clean chalky texture combining together, Concrete smells more like a deconstructed fruity tuberose perfume rather than a deconstructed sandalwood to me.

Concrete has barely any change afterwards. The sillage is moderate and the longevity is at least 7 hours.

I was aware that Concrete does not aim to replicate the cement in literal sense, therefore I'm not disappointed on this front. But reading about its "sandalwood" after wearing Concrete, I'm first puzzled then upset about the lack of sandalwood characteristics and the overbearing raspberry sweetness on me. From what I experience on my skin, I would not recommend it as a sandalwood fragrance, but rather a gourmand, intense raspberry/rose/violet fragrance, with a nod to Féminité du Bois in the opening and a clean, sugary fruity tuberose dry down.

Missoni Parfum pour Homme by Missoni

Missoni Parfum Pour Homme starts as a revival (in a contemporary key) of scents a la Byblos Uomo original or Versus Pour Homme by Gianni Versace (glorious modern juices sice the moment of their inception) in order to gradually assume an its own darkly musky sporty evolution based on lemony patchouli, aromatic herbs and synth musk. Ginger, green lemon and lavender provide the sporty/fresh darkly-aromatic twist a la Badedas Noir. Some drier/soapier soothing amberish woodiness a la L'Erbolario Corteccia (probably because of the oak-note) emeges gradually but this scent is all about musky/herbal patchouli and green lime. A pleasant dynamic masculine modern fragrance but nothing more.
P.S: the "deep drydown" is eminently woody (kind of pencil shavings in vibe) and along this stage the scent losts almost entirely the interest on me.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Bentley for Men Absolute by Bentley

Bentley for Men Absolute is the closest I have found to my beloved Gucci Pour Homme I--in fact, I like it even better! The woods and pink pepper and papyrus all point to the Gucci, but the addition of oud and ambergris in the Bentley actually improves this. Warm, rich woody incense notes prevail with less sweetness than the Gucci offering. This is very masculine, very sophisticated and very in line with the Bentley brand promise: Luxury and performance are complementary, not irreconcilable opposites. An irresistible combination.

Along with Bentley for Men Intense, this is one of my favorite recent releases, affordable luxury that delivers on all fronts.