Latest Perfume Reviews

Eau du Soir by Sisley

As a vintage Chypre fan and lover of cool green aldehydic fragrances, this is one of the few modern scents that I return to.The opening is very bright and sharp and a bit medicinal and I can see that some would find this off-putting but its totally my thing.Its fresh and clean and sparkling and initially quite strong but soon dries down to a woody,patchouli skin scent which is long-lasting.I don't get much floral apart from jasmine in the composition which I don't mind.I am sure there is Galbanum although its not listed in the notes.I am sure the current version does not now contain much real oakmoss and would love to smell the original formulation.
I love the bottle but wish the sculptural gold lid was at least metal rather than plastic.Suspect this was the case on earlier versions!

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Vintage EDT and Eau de Parfum.I believe this to be the pinnacle of the perfumers art. A heartbreakingly beautiful sparkling green chypre which is so beautifully balanced,for me it stands head and shoulders above the rest.The aldehyde and galbanum opening is exquisite and makes it feel still modern even though the moss and patchouli in the drydown is classic.I have been steadily building a collection of the different incarnations of this beauty since it was sadly discontinued and now have a lovely wardrobe of my favourite fragrance, I cannot bear to go a day without smelling it. The mossy green ropes of the previous review have bound themselves to my heart and I cannot give it up!

L'Eau The One by Dolce & Gabbana

The fruity touch could be used on summery events. Although the first impression is not for everyone.

New York by Heaven's Alchemy

An average perfume oil and not worth the asking prices. This is a white floral with some herbal/bitter components in the middle that turn it green with mainly muguet in the base with a little musk.

03. Apr. 1968 by Rundholz Parfums

no no no, it's not for me. I appreciate the effort to create something different from the usual incense ... but this is too much.
my eyes water from the power of this perfume. but in a negative sense.
imagine initially the church incense that runs through the wine. here this is the beginning.
the heliotrope is annoying and disgusting.
the notes do not mix, they feel distinctly.
sour fruit, gummy candies, bonfires, litchi, red wine, Italian sweet sparkling wine, cough syrup, christmas, vomit, whiskey, these are just a few words that this scent evokes me. if I thought that the beaufort perfumes were not wearable, this is the perfection of the non-wearable perfume.
nausea, disgust, maybe this is contemporary art of perfume? one could object that even the perfumes made
 da filippo sorcinelli and the perfumes of beaufort are perhaps borderline fragrances and contemporary art? but at least they evoke something ... they have a story they want to evoke. this is a mess and that's it.
nausea and vomit. excellent performance.
vote 0/0

ps: if sahara noir is similar, tell me that I avoid buying it.

Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

Aromatic leaves of tobacco warmed over a bed of dry cedar and resinous oakmoss. Tabac Vert eschews the conventionally heavier vanillic accoutrements in favor of a lighter brighter approach, resulting in an elegantly fresh woody chypre.

If Vintage Tabarome reminds one of wood-panelled cigar rooms in men-only clubs then Tabac Vert takes you elsewhere to a private bar with a cigarette on your lips and a glass of Old Fashioned in your hand.

rbaker Show all reviews

Ambre et Vanille by E.Coudray

An orangey opening blast, freshened up with lashings of bergamot and made smoother and creamer by an ylang-ylang that is quite pleasant. Soon a light amber arises that adds further depth. This combination of fresh and smooth sets the tone for most of the further development that I encountered in this case.

In the heart notes the fresh side is represented by a citrus/heliotrope impression, with the amber lingering on very notably. The smoother shows up as a cinnamon note, which contains whiffs of almonds at times. This vanilla increases in prominence over time, accentuated by a soft but bright patchouli.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

An autumn scent for warmer days that is maybe not very creative, but smooth and rich, and never too thick and cloying owing to the fresher touches that introduce some balance into the whole. 3.25/5.

Wings for Men by Wings

Cool Water with a “smokey” twist.
Shycat Show all reviews

Psychedelic Love by Initio

I'm fresh from a blind pass and one of the things I realized is that heliotrope is a mystery to me. Psychedelic Love is helping me over that little stumbling block.

My first impression was sweet gourmand. I feel the rose, but I thought the scent dominated by a caramel vanilla with a lifting benzoin type of penetrating freshness.

What is it really? You can read the notes above as well as I. It's heliotrope, and it's a big whack of heliotrope. Sugared almond vanilla, with rose and myrrh for balance. There's sandalwood in here, and perhaps that's where I'm getting the creaminess. I'm sure sandalwood is really in here, as well as some unlisted aromachemicals that give the sense of lifting freshness--needed, here, to avoid collapse of some heavy note. No perfume pyramid would lie to us!

Andron for Women by Jovan

I have a bottle of this that belonged to a previous partner. Very distinctive and strong, it still evokes memories of my teenage years so I keep it in a dark drawer just in case I need a nostalgia kick. I'd love to sample the mans version.
04th December, 2018

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Sweet spicy powder. Not a great scent, but it's not bad either.

Roadster Sport by Cartier

Very pleasant Roadster flanker, though it seems to differ significantly from its forbearer.

A check box fragrance that successfully fills in the requisite "sport" elements: lighter, fresher, tangy, and more suited for active / warm weather wear.

I miss the mint that was a soothing, logical part of the original Roadster. Granted, this flanker has a firm commitment to forge the path of a "sport" alternative to the more universal original.

Nonetheless, this one tends to feel distinctly different, containing notes that paint a different picture on purpose. Whether you like / dislike the original, I'd say check this "sport" version out and expect to experience a rebooted flanker that barely resembles the original.

Pasha Edition Noire Sport by Cartier

It's an okay flanker of a flanker. Pasha Edition Noire Sport smells unremarkably pleasant. It definitely checks off the boxes of typical fresh aquatic scents, with requisite tanginess and lightness compared to Pasha Edition Noire proper and the dated original.

I like scents that incorporate marine accords, and this outing does so nicely. Great for active / warm weather wear. It has enough distinction versus the other Pasha versions to stand on its own as a regular wardrobe scent. Longevity is not great, so refresher spritzes would be needed after just 3-4 hours, depending on your skin chemistry and environmental factors.

Pasha Edition Noire by Cartier

As many have already opined, Pasha Edition Noire is a contemporary refit of the dated original. It achieves this by rounding the heavy spicy-herbal-citrus tinge of Pasha and incorporates the common amber-cedar basenote presence. This adds a slight bit of woodiness and sweetness, while retaining the green and citrus elements of the original.

This brings Pasha squarely up to date. It's not unique, so Pasha Edition Noire won't turn many heads necessarily.

Moderate sillage, okay longevity. Worth a look especially for contemporary shoppers wanting to check out a definite, more wearable update to the classic Pasha.

Pasha by Cartier

A classic outing from Cartier that many will find dated, and old-schoolers wouldn't mind the occasional dare-wear of it!

Definitely in the same category of Van Cleef and Arpels Tsar, YSL Jazz Prestige, and other spicy-citrus heavy hitters from the 80's and 90's.

Fresh, aromatic, with a tasteful dose of citrus, mint, lavender, oakmoss, patchouli, and sandalwood to hold it down with splashes of herbal and wood. Decent projection and longevity, fit for most occasions all year round.

This is a period piece type of cologne, so once again opinions will vary from contemporary consumers.

Eau de Santal by Floris

Here is my review of Floris Eau de Santal that I had obtained as a free sample recently:

A really nice opening with gentle bergamot locking arms with cloves, cardamom, and subtle pepper. Lavender soon creeps in and holds sway over all of these notes, and my mind starts to wrack away as to which fragrances I'd experienced in the past that smell like THIS?!

As the crinkly Rolodex spins wildly in my mind, I behold a smooth patchouli emerge with its lovely herb-like powderiness. I then ask myself, which other scents have resembled this classy, powdery oriental?

Ahh, yes...Jaipur pour Homme by Boucheron! Of course.

This scent is dialed down many levels from the intensity of Boucheron. Yet, it ends up like a delicate, spicy powdery oriental that is right up my alley. It is a great daily scent fit for the office or even just casually.

Oh, one more thing: Where's the sandalwood?!

I checked another popular fragrance site, and I obtained this list of notes:

Top - bergamot, amalfi lemon, grass, pepper, cardamom
Heart - clove, lavender, nutmeg
Base - amber, Virginia cedar, olibanum, musk, vetiver, vanilla, *SANDALWOOD* [emphasis mine]

SO there's nutmeg, cedar, musk, vetiver, and SANDALWOOD here as well. Makes sense, and it explains the nooks and crannies of other notes I'd detected but couldn't put my finger on.

Smooth, very wearable, safe in terms of projection.

King by Parfums Vintage

Definitely not a smokey-version of Aventus but it's not overly fruity either once it dries down. Nicely balanced between the two. Smells more like Pineapple Vintage than Aventus but I like them both, so it's a good scent to me.

Projection is nice during the first hour but then it settles down or causes nose fatigue because it's not easily detected. Longevity is pretty good, I can still barely smell it after 8 hours.

Bay Citrus by Arran Aromatics

It opens with a exotic spicy light and airy fresh burst of citrus, Patchouli and bay leaf. Longevity is about three hours and it stays quite close to you.

One that would be good for the Spring and Summer for that out of the shower freshness. It smells lovely but is let down by it's longevity and subtle nature.

Rive d'Ambre by Tom Ford

Rive d'Ambre is gorgeous.

It takes time to appreciate all the nuance and complexities in this rather simple orange and amber fragrance.

Simple yet complex? Yes indeed. All the complexities serve to maintain the simplicity of the fragrance throughout it's life. Genius from TF.

What it smells like: if you can imagine Mugler Cologne in a Parfum Concentree strength, this would be it.

Y Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I utterly hated Y by Yves Saint Laurent (2017), as it represented everything that was wrong with the state of masculine designer perfumery. Dominique Ropion has seemingly come back to fix what he broke with Y Eau de Parfum (2018), and although I still think the fragrance is a very phoned-in designer juice, I actually like it now. Wowee.. what a difference a few minor tweaks can make. The thing I hated most about Y by Yves Saint Laurent was the scratchy, itchy, powdery semi-marine 90's fougère top emulating Nautica (1992) or Azzaro Chrome (1996), stretched over a laboratory of aromachemicals and the fashionable ambroxan/norlimbanol base. The smell of this combination felt like a perfume composed in a La-Z-Boy recliner at Dominique Ropion's home, as if he was surfing Netflix while scribbling notes on how to make the fastest buck for the house who commissioned him. The end result to me comes across like the embodiment of every adulteration designer perfume has embraced since the beginning of the 1990's; every sin committed, every cheap cop-out, every stylistic boor, every pastiche cliche of consumerist culture and shopping mall blah since the rise of the aquatic and fresh fougère compounded into one Antichrist of a masculine fragrance, signalling Armageddon on the perfume counters of department stores everywhere. Y by Yves Saint Laurent was so trashy and basic that it should have been a guest on Jerry Springer. We're talking not one, but multiple generations of cost-cutting BS crammed into one anathema de toilette for men. Granted, it's perfectly dialed-in for the brainless "my girlfriend likes it" CISHET upper middle-class American code monkey suburbanite you'll likely find these days in California, Washington, Northern Virginia, and New York, since they have to smell respectable while waiting in line for their Tesla Model 3 reservation to be completed, while their vapid significant others take duckface selfies on Instagram and chat about the latest Real Housewives episodes, but I digress. Y Eau de Parfum is the first real competition the Bleu de Chanel dynasty has had since 2010, and this is in light of all the BdC flankers as well, since all the other "me too" compositions from other houses in the wake of the watershed Chanel masculine have been too contrived, boring, or different in tone to be real contenders.

The things that turn around the cultural and olfactory trainwreck that is Y by Yves Saint Laurent and into something palatable are improvements in tone and texture. Most of the note pyramid is otherwise left alone, but the few key things that made the original so irritating are removed, to be replaced by notes which help the rest of the perfume make more sense, or that's how I see it anyway. Y Eau de Parfum doesn't try to be a crappy new-age aquatic-ish candied amber fresh fougère "everyone please like me" all-in-one generational stopgap focus group hot mess like Y by Yves Saint Laurent. Instead, this draws a line in the sand and leans towards nightclub-friendly "fresh oriental" tones, which opens up a whole new can of worms since a lot of people hate clubber scents, but I'd much rather smell Paco Rabanne 1 Million (2008), Versace Eros (2013), or Azzaro Wanted by Night (2018) over the midlife crisis jus that is Y by Yves Saint Laurent. At least with Y Eau de Parfum, Dominique Ropion focuses the camera lens on one specific purpose, trading out the phoney aldehydes in the bergamot ginger top for apple, which makes the scent instantly more comoforable and inviting for nightlife. The middle sees the sage and geranium of the original rounded out by juniper instead of the shrill violet leaf of the original. The overall effect by the midpoint of the wear is a modern sweetness which is still an acquired taste, but one that doesn't require selling your soul like the original release. By the base, the blue-hued sweetness of Y Eau de Parfum pulls away from any comparisons to the heavy-handed Eros or Wanted by Night since it takes a dialed-down play from the Bleu de Chanel (2010) playbook, which is perhaps the only use of "amberwoods" that has ever truly been accepted by hobbyists, made all the more amusing because it is the first significant use of the accord anyway. If Ropion was emulating the work of Jacques Polge, he did a good job, as cedar, cashmeran, ambroxan, and olibdanum mix with more-traditional fougère elements like tonka, vetiver, and a pinch of oakmoss. Y Eau de Parfum still may not redeem itself in the eyes of niche or vintage zealots, but it's the new pillar release that Y by Yves Saint Laurent should have been, and stands strong as a unique entry in a popular style, rather than previous Frankenstein's monster of aromachemicals encompassing three decades of boring to the point of offensiveness. Wear time will vary but this is over the 10 hour mark and is softer in sillage than the original EdT as well.

Like with Sauvage Eau de Parfum (2018), Y Eau de Parfum atones for the sins of its opportunistic EdT predecessor, while retaining a familiar personality for fans who enjoyed it, but refined into something that has more artistic merit and validity in the greater scheme of perfume history. Fans of Creed or Xerjoff will still hate this, and fans of long-dead overpriced vintage Patou or Gucci masculines will still call this a lapdog of Satan in a bottle, but Y Eau de Parfum at least takes the "amberwoods powerhouse" trope of the 2010's in a more aromatic and pleasant direction. I don't mind aromachemicals if they're blended skillfully into a fragrance, but I don't like it when they assault my nose with impunity and come across like somebody is trying to cast the widest net to reel in the largest haul of suckers. I have to work with those people, and they fog up the bathrooms and elevators enough as it is with over-application, so they can at least wear something that feels friendly and interesting to the nose. People who weren't convinced with Y by Yves Saint Laurent but who dig modern designer styles should give this a sniff, but people who have long since unplugged from the designer realms probably won't find enough here to warrant a revisit, so I'm only pitching this to people who actually like where perfume in this segment has headed over the last 15 years. For anyone falling outside of that circle, you'll at least find Y Eau de Parfum more tolerable than it's precursor EdT, but still not your cup of tea. As for me, it might be a long while before it ends up in the collection, and if it does by the time you read my review, consider me bored enough to have pulled the trigger on it, since buying Y Eau de Parfum is like adding sour cream to a standard Taco Bell taco in a late night food run: it is a significant upgrade, but only satisfies in lieu of better options. For me personally, Y Eau de Parfum is like drinking RC Cola when tired of Pepsi or Coke, which is about where it sits on the priority of usage too, and is barely above board enough for a thumbs up. Test before diving in, especially if you're on the fence about amberwoods freshies, but at least go forward knowing that this actually has some considerable chops, unlike the original Y by Yves Saint Laurent, which I still hate. Again, small tweaks to a formula can make all the difference between good and bad in perfumery.
03rd December, 2018 (last edited: 13th December, 2018)

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Tom Ford is the one higher-end designer house that I feel sees the most indifference in the fragrance community from their selections than any other, with most of this indifference coming from male colognoisseurs. I can totally see why, as he brings little innovation to the table making a living by mostly doing personal takes on his own favorite past perfumes for LVMH or mucking with classic styles, and I have been indifferent about a great many of them myself, but I can respect what is trying to be accomplished in most of them. Tom Ford has always been fascinated by older perfumes, something he shares in common with the nostalgic albeit pompous Roger "Roja" Dove. Tom Ford, like Roja Dove, makes some modern things but by and large likes reinventing the wheels first cast by perfumes that came before, but unlike Roja Dove, Ford doesn't fold in a nauseating degree of decorum or adorn bottles with gold-plated crystal-studded caps to justify a price beyond reason (even if his lines are a bit pricey). Tom Ford seems to prefer chypre and oriental compositions for men, but Tom Ford Noir (2012) is a little more complex than that. I'd call this a male floriental, which for those who know what a floriental is, probably sounds fascinatingly anachronistic or a disaster in a bottle. Luckily, I find Tom Ford Noir to be the former, but trying to "man up" a heady and near-extinct genre is going to be divisive in the 21st century. If ever there was an example of "try before you buy" from the house of Tom Ford, this would be it, as the development is long and top notes here do not indicate the majority of the scent's personality in a full wear, which is a trait it shares with the classic perfume genre Tom Ford Noir emulates.

Some folks say Tom Ford Noir is the male Guerlain Shalimar (1925), but there's no tonka or fougère-like structure under Tom Ford Noir, nor any of the glamorous atmosphere. If anything, Tom Ford Noir is closer to Jicky (1889) with its shockingly animalic display of civet and florals, but even then, this is a real stretch. In my opinion, perfumer Olivier Gillotin (a Tom Ford favorite) follows a train of thought last seen in action with the oddball Joint by Roccobarocco (1993), presenting civeted rose on a semi-oriental vanillic chypre bed and trying to make it masculine. The primary difference is the older and much more obscure Joint features the rose and civet prominently, while Tom Ford Noir adds more spices and amber to the equation to make the overall scent more complex. Vintage perfume aficionados who are fans of the rare civeted rose masculine should take note here, as the basic structure is bergamot, verbena, and violet up top, Bulgarian rose, geranium, and soapy iris spiced with nutmeg and black pepper in the middle, then civet, vanilla, amber, and opoponax with an IFRA-compliant sprig of oakmoss garnish in the base. Overall, this is a spicy, soapy civeted rose and vanilla scent that is very "fashionably out of fashion" like a lot of feminine Tom Fords, and pitched to men, which makes it highly unusual for its style. Sillage is more subtle in the EdP, but longevity is better than the subsequent EdT version that saw release a year later, which has a louder top but fades fast. This feels most appropriate in a romantic setting because of the animalics, but if you want a Tom Ford Noir for the office, there are flankers in the line which may suit better. Also, Tom Ford Noir is best in colder climates, due to its thick oriental base lines.

Fans of the long-discontinued Joint by Roccobarocco should really try Tom Ford Noir, and the modern dandies still prancing around will also find favor in Tom Ford Noir, but few others will see value in it. The civet note is very noticeable in Tom Ford Noir, which was of great surprise to me and made me do a double-take on the release year, but sure enough, this is a 2010's designer release with an animalic focus. Whoever said traditional perfumery is completely dead has never smelled this. Tom Ford Noir Extreme (2015) would be a more modern mainstream take on the style, removing half of the florals and the civet to cut out the animalic and dandy elements which probably scared more new buyers than they enticed, and became more popular by being approachable to the average modern nose as a result of the trim. Tom Ford Noir Anthracite (2017) would move in a bizzare early 80's mega-butch powerhouse direction, creating something appropriately dry and harsh like the coal in its title. I feel like Ford may be visiting different decades with each new entry of the Noir series, but I could be wrong. The original Tom Ford Noir is a good seller despite its irreverence for trend, remaining a department store staple at Tom Ford counters; it still feels the most daring too, despite being the quietest of the trio, and reminds me a lot of Avon Charisma (1970), that soapy civeted floral feminine wonder which has practically become transgender in the 21st century thanks to all its now-masculine "clean and green" elements which at the time were fashionable for ladies. I think Tom Ford Noir directly relates as a male take on this door-to-door cheapie classic more than any other feminine perfume, although many Tom Ford fans won't make that connection since they can't be bothered with cheap perfume, let alone vintage cheapies. It's okay Tom, I can keep a secret if you can. Thumbs up!

Rose Pivoine by Nicolaï

Quick bursts of citrus detected during initial spray that simmers down to a very plain rose and definite peony. Not as bright as Chloe or Rosa Pop, but nicely subtle and also shy. Very agreeable, very wearable. Excellent for when you want a hint of floral but only detected when someone is in your personal space.

New York Intense by Nicolaï

Really refined Gentleman's fragrance. Very French. Very old school. Think Bois Du Portugal or Eau Sauvage. Just be careful not to judge this fragrance on the initial spray. It is so overwhelming maybe bordering on brash. Once it drys down after the hour mark it steps into a league of it's own. At the 2 hour mark it is at it's very best.

8.5/10

Vetyverio Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

Entirely unsatisfactory as a vetiver centric fragrance as well as a scent. The vetiver somewhat hardly noticeable, generic fruity shampoo middle, boring cedar base and shockingly weak performance overall.

Dirty Ginger by Heretic Parfums

Dirty Ginger lives up to its name. The dominant notes during the opening are ginger and cumin. The ginger smells fresh and somewhat earthy, and the cumin is clear as a bell. Black pepper and lime are less obvious, but there a definite green, high-register, almost astringent brightness present, highlighting the ginger's fresh-spicy nature. Perhaps the shiso also contributes to this, but I don't know what shiso smells like.

There’s a surprising amount of cumin. It doesn’t scream sweaty/dirty to me; it’s almost culinary in nature. The image I get is "Mexican Moscow Mule". Perhaps I'll attempt to make one when the weather is right!

Moving into the heart and base, Dirty Ginger's structure reveals itself to be simple, which I suppose we should expect if the ingredients are all-natural, as claimed. Essentially, we have a dry, woody backbone. Palo Santo wood (listed in the base) apparently has a sort of citrus-mint/green-pine profile, which feels about right. Most of the heavy duty fireworks happen in the first hour, but the dirty-fresh-spicy spice profile lingers on for quite some time, aided by this particular wood accord.

Dirty Ginger is entertaining to wear, and my wife surprisingly fell for it as well. It's a fun and unexpected choice for those who want an oddball summery spice option.

Les Heures Voyageuses - Oud Radieux by Cartier

Nice!! I never imagined the idea of combining "hot" notes like ginger and pepper with agarwood...but here it is, done expertly using quality ingredients in a balanced way.

Oud Radieux explores the sizzling, spicy aspect of the oud mystique in a clever way. Ginger dominates in this formulation, and there is a mysterious fresh green presence nestled in here as well. Could it be pine? fir? cypress? mastic? Anyhow, it adds an additional aromatic flair to an already hovering masterpiece.

This comes across as an almost progressive oud scent, exploring territory that is not very common (Montale's enormous "Aoud" collection comes close).

VERY hard to find less than a full bottle, if even, of Oud Radieux (Saks Fifth Avenue excepted). Good luck finding even a decant of this magnificent oud creation!!

Les Heures Voyageuses - Oud & Santal by Cartier

Amazing multifaceted, rich oud fragrance from Cartier!

Oud & Santal take the best of both worlds - agarwood and sandalwood - and present a delightful amalgamation that just puts me immediately into the right mood! Oud is genuinely rubbery and smoky, and the sandalwood dreamy and creamy in a superior way. I swear there's amber in this, though it's not listed in the fragrance triangle: A cinnamon-y, somewhat sweet quality that deepens the experience.

Awfully hard to get a decant of this anymore! :-[

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

A dated feminine orange potpourri. Zero Neroli. This fragrance is a strong testament to the popular opinion that Creed does not live up to the hype, price, or expectation. To me, Neroli Sauvage is not an attractive scent.

Les Heures Voyageuses - Oud & Oud by Cartier

With a name like "Oud & Oud", one can get the impression that this is a beast mode fragrance, clarified and ultralinear. That doesn't seem to be the case...

Cartier's Oud & Oud attempts at being as basic and true to form as an oud fragrance can be without breaking IFRA requirements. The result is a handsome, highly wearable oud with an initial animalic quality that settles down to a basic, warm woody fragrance of great worth. It feels natural and covers the skin with a just-above-skinscent level of fragrance; surprisingly, the moderate strength potion lasts a LONG time!

The right balance of resinous, smoky, "band-aid", woody characteristics, blended expertly and memorably. May not be the most nostril-blasting take on an oud scent, but it is inarguably one of the most thoughtfully crafted.

Now to find a decent decant of this for myself.... :-)

Hyrax by Zoologist Perfumes