Latest Perfume Reviews

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This scent is very dry,soft, I don't like it.
29th October, 2002

Sultan Safran / Safranier by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The best from CSP, and that's saying a lot as most are incredible. Goes on with a spicy overload, but wait about 30 minutes. It mellows to an exotic dream in spice. The EDP strength really sticks it out.
28th October, 2002

Crave by Calvin Klein

I just bought Crave yesterday and have already received many compliments on my new scent!! I think women really love the fresh/ clean smell! Calvin is so in tune with what is sexy!!
28th October, 2002

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I got a sample of this last week and have been testing it. I think it is a good fragrance and certainly a refreshing shift in fragrance trends - if it does become a trend, that is. However, I can't see what all the excitment is about. I find the agarwood rather subdued. If one wanted a real agarwood fragrance, the way to go is Madini: Agarwood, Oud or Bouquet. I have been using the Bouquet for about a week and the heady, intense fragrant mix of agarwood and woody-spices is intoxicating. The Oud is a little more of a conventional mixture while the Agarwood is - as one would imagine - the pure, almost medicinal scent, strong and very woody. There are also the fragrances from Swiss-Arabian but all the ones that I have tried have such an overwhelming mixture of sweet, sweet florals - mainly roses - and oriental notes that the the aroma is quite nauseating. I find M7 reminds me of Opium Pour Homme but the spices have been replaced by woods.
Then, too, I am pretty jaded when it comes to Oriental scents since that is what I normally wear and have worn for the last thirty years.
I think that the ads that I have seen in the European magazines are audacious - to say that least - but Idon't think that North America is ready - or willing -to have a scent sold by a guy showing his genitals.
25th October, 2002
CJ Show all reviews

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I have to agree with my bud Rob...especially the bit about the genitals.
25th October, 2002

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I was able to get a bottle online for under $60. Although it wasn't the antique edition, the fragrance itself is classy enough that it doesn't need a gimmick.
23rd October, 2002 (last edited: 28th October, 2002)

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

It IS an OK scent. But the price is killing me.
Then again... this scent is like it tries too had to leave an impression of something positive, respectable, classy, conservative... and not without some success I must admit.
23rd October, 2002

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Man..this stuff is absolutely wonderful..i love it and it will become my signature scent..:)
it is long lasting..put it on at 8am..drove over 500 miles, walked 12 blocks and moved 20 boxes and it is still going strong..light but VERY present on my body..! TALK ABOUT STAYING POWER!
20th October, 2002

Nautica Competition (original) by Nautica

Not sporty in the least. More of a sensuous, romantic, mouth watering fragrance. The Apple, vanilla and mint combo are sensational. It's also a dynamo with regard to lasting power. It has a wonderful matching A/S balm
20th October, 2002

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

I do like it a lot...its not a strong harsh leather scent nor is it a muted leather scent.
I does have a clean musk note lurking back there against the leather.
19th October, 2002
anak Show all reviews

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

WOWWWW! FINALLY A MANLY FRAGRANCE!!! This is amazing! I got it as soon as I sniffed! Further description of it later for now I am in BLISS!
19th October, 2002

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

(follow up)I wore my sample today and I'm totally in love with this fragrance! Okay smitten!
Received numerous comments from woman but I found that some of my guy friends at work did not like it one bit.
13th October, 2002 (last edited: 18th October, 2002)

On El by J del Pozo

Very different to say the least. It''s something I haven't smelled before. I mean, it seems these days perfume makers trade or buy a formula and slap another designer's name on it hoping it will sell better than the previous designer. But this is not one of those. It's not a citrus, woody or musky smell. I would say it has a more......flowery?....smell to it. Good or bad, at least it is different. And that is better than having another copy out there.....in my opinion.
12th October, 2002

Armani Eau pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It makes me wild. A true classic. Most refreshing top notes i have ever experienced in any colongne. On my second bottle and whenever puzzled what to apply, Armani pour homme is there.
01st October, 2002
CJ Show all reviews

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Frederic Malle has brought the art of perfumery back into the world! The new compositions of true perfumers are astounding. Noir Epices is perhaps the best of the fragrances I've come across recently. It smells like Giorgio for Men (which was sadly discontinued years ago) with more spicy and woody notes. It seems like it would work best in autumn and winter, but sparingly it could be used for any evening or romantic setting. Michel Roudnitska, a perfume genius who was born and raised in the industry, created this gem.
30th September, 2002

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

VERY European type of scent with some of the notes that resemble many classic Italian fragrances. But it's Spanish, of course, intruduced by the fashion house of Angel Schlesser in 2001, and was composed by Swiss perfumer Thierry Wasser (Dior's Addict).
It opens with the burst of fresh notes not unlike good old Acqua Di Gio - wet grass leaves, rain water and sicilian bergamot. Then it goes woody-spicy with the combination of cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, lavender, anise, cardamon, clove and rice (yes, rice) notes. The base is composed of different woods, white musk and moss.
My footnotes. I didn't care about it at first, but it steadily grows on me. The more I wear it, the more I like it. Rides close to the skin, doesn't project outside much, good choice for the office environment. Lasts for moderately long time - appr. 5 hours on me. Very European in every aspect. Dry, professional, cool.
The cologne that smells the closest to Angel Schlesser Homme is original Azzaro Pour Homme (black bottle). Think of it as a new, (fresher, summer, lighter, reworked) version of Azzaro and you get the idea.
25th September, 2002

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

If you like Cartier's Declaration, you will be happy to know that Marc Jacobs did too. He simply poured some Declaration into a square bottle and named it eponymously.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

A very deep, rich spicey scent with plenty of character at the bottom in the form of amber or something semi-resinous. The scent changes little from beginning to end, which is not necessarily bad. To me this is very reminiscent of Santa Maria Novella Potpouri's drydown and that of Commes des Garcon's EDP.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Mega-spice!! Not as dark as Eau Lente, but still just as spicey and full of holiday cheer. Again, this changes little from beginning to end, which is certainly typical scents dominated by spice. If you get it and don't like wearing it you can still opt to use if for a deoderizer. Very similar to Commes des Garcon EDP and the drydown of Santa Maria Novella's Potpouri.

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

I find this scent marvelous, though I can see how many would find it quite medicinal at first. I like that opening, but I find the drydown too similar to Commes des Garcon EDP and Diptyque's L'Eau. Still, the history behind this fragrance is awesome and worth the cost if you like spice.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

A very pungent, potent citrus scent that, unfortunately doesn't last nearly long-enough. Effervescent and fresh to the maximum degree.

Vétiver by Creed

I'm not a big fan of overly Vetiver-based scents, but this one has a smooth nature, that, to me, puts it above Guerlain's product (thought it is first rate for its quality and purpose) and certainly above any other Vetiver contenders.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

A superb scent reminiscent of brandy, cigars and drawing room convesation. Manly, and subtle with just enough sweet freshness to not be cloying or overpowering. A very good choice for an all-around Creed scent.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

A thick, almost resinous fragrance that wreaks of old money and smokey libraries. A classic to be sure, but NOT an everyday scent.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

The description for this Creed product says it was inspired by the French Alps and I can certainly see why. The bottle, being white, is a just an overt indicator of the purity that this scent invokes. Beautifully sweet and clean and pleasantly long-lasting. When I first wore this scent I thought it disappeared very quickly, but since then my nose has grown to notice it longer and longer with each wearing.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Although I really enjoy this scent I feel like it is one of the least likely and certainly one of the most over-priced Creed products out there. To me the Vintage line should be scents that are wholly unique and almost unusual...Selection Verte is not. A VERY citrusy opening is ended by a vetiver-like drydown. Nothing out of the ordinary or even all that classy.

Santal Impérial by Creed

A perfectly smooth sandalwood-with-spice scent that, although for men, is a fantastic scent on a woman. One of the more vesatile, heavy Creed scents.

Royal Water by Creed

A good, long-lasting Creed scent, but almost too "floral" for my tastes. Very crisp and clean, though.

Royal English Leather by Creed

The emporer of leather scents!! The fragrance does not dominate in leather, but has some more well-rounded characteristics that simply blend extraordinarily well with the leather notes, which round out a very pleasant and smooth drydown. A very potent scent that is certainly not an everyday scent, yet certainly knocks the pants off other leather scents like Trussardi Uomo, Bel Ami, and others.

Royal Delight by Creed

I found this item a very potent scent with too many feminine characteristics for me to enjoy properly. A very unique scent to be sure, but a bit "old world", which is not necessarily bad, just out of character for many of the fragrance wearers I know. On the positive side it lasts a long time and the unique nature of it will certainly get you noticed.