Latest Perfume Reviews

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The definite and absolute number one for a man who wants to seduce woman... a smell they adore, remember and desire. It is unbelievably long-lasting... once I played with my girlfriend's pen after putting some on my hands... later on she told me that she could feel my smell for a week...This smell becomes your signature... in my company my friends call me saying I was on their floor... they could smell me... What I like even more about this scent is that after a while of using it you don't smell it at all yourself. So easy on dosing... but it will never cause you a headache. As a man you don't have to love this smell... I didn't at first as well... but when I saw how women love it... well I don't smell it myself anymore... but I love it.
12th August, 2004

Original Vetiver by Creed

Recently bought at Ave. Pierre 1er Serbie in Paris this wonderfully refined fragrance by what I regard as one of the world's most exclusive perfume makers. Just after applying it to your skin, it starts out as what some would refer to as ‘soapy’, but after about half an hour it turns wonderfully soft. When compared to Guerlain’s Vetiver, this scent is much softer; leaving out the strong musky and suppressing the dry notes, being more on the fresh, lightly on the gingery side. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a refined fragrance for casual wear.
11th August, 2004

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Firstly, it is rather hard to find so you'll be sure to be among the few people in your country/state that wears it. It's exclusivity is matched by its aromatic qualities that never fails to draw attention. At the mention of the name, people instantly get the sea-breeze connection so it is a very precisely crafted scent.

Secondly, this scent leaves behind a trail that is fresh and clean. It is the sort of sillage that gets people to look up from reading their newspaper or magazines on the train just to figure out who just passed by them.

Thirdly, it is very masculine. I get a kind of tobacco-like note that passes off as the salty sea spray that gets in your mouth and throat while walking along the beach during high tide. This mid-note lasts quite awhile on me before turning into a very sexy vanillic hue so that by evening, it transforms into a soft, mellow vanillic scent ideal for a quiet night out with a loved one.

Finally, after wearing a scent for some time, it is inevitable that the scent will carry many memorial baggage and luckily for me, this scent carries with it many happy memories of my youthful zest and abandonment. So much so that this scent has come to symbolise just that - youthful zest and wanton abandonment, a celebration of life, for me. That connection between scent and memory is for me, the most important utilitarian facet of this hobby, the essence of scent collection is as a repository of memories both sweet and bitter. It is magical isn't it, how a multitude of memories flood back at the simple spritz of a perfume bottle?
11th August, 2004

Erolfa by Creed

An awesome scent, especially if you are on or around water. Salt and seaweed are prominent, and beautifully blended together. Then the scent gets even better on the dry down, the salty notes mellow out and delicious warm notes come through. I bet this smells even better on a cool, crisp day.

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

excellent unisex fragrance with elements of lavander and juniper and deeper notes of wood, amber, and moss. one for the guys and the gals!

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

my signature scent that i keep for special occassions... there's nothing quite like egoiste for parties, weddings, and other events. for me, egoiste lasts and lasts on my skin, and my girlfriend adores it. it's strong, yes, but not overpowering, distinct, yes, but not unruly. it's one of the only scents i can wear and still smell its aura around me many hours later like a close friend.

Rochas Man by Rochas

This is a too sweet perfume to be used by a man.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Boring, common. A deception. for some people it can be considered it as elegant.

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Sparkling,fruity freshenes at first, and then a smooth vanilla,very light,drydown that lasts a long time. Good for warm sunny days but works also on cold winter days. Very nice!

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I understand that in the United States Red Door has sort of a bad/cheap reputation. Smells a bit synthetic. But this happen to be one of my 10 favorite fragrances. It's scent was created at a time when American scents were all about being sexy, and RD delivers: warm, voluptuous, exotic and fun. Take care not to overdose thought.
08th August, 2004

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

Delightfully articial fizzy neon yellow citrus scent! :D

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

Garage smells exactly like a toolshed: woods, various electric appliances, chemicals, motors, gasoline... A mechanic would probably feel very comfortable wearing Garage! ;)

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Fumerie Turque is Topkapi Palace in a bottle! Smoky & sultry leather-tobacco scent with a superb sillage.
07th August, 2004 (last edited: 14th April, 2008)

Jardins Ottomans by Gobin Daudé

Jardins Ottomans reminds me of Voleur de Roses with its earthy "garden after rain" patchouli note, but whereas VdR is a garden with rose bushes and plum trees, JO is one with lemon and orange trees!

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens

Un Bois Vanille is not your average "bowl of melted ice cream" kind of vanilla scent, but a dark, unsweetened woody "black" vanilla that smells like the real thing: vanilla pod. Especially good on cold days.

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Chergui is one of the fullest, most gorgeous Orientals there is; sweet, smoky, superbly rich scent with honey, hay sugar, tobacco, musk, amber and leather notes.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Zagorsk has that cold, damp feel Etro's Messe de Minuit has but is otherwise totally different. Zagorsk smells like an old, wooden Russian Orthodox church in the middle of snowy pine trees and birches. A pure, silent scent.

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens

Un Bois Sépia is a cosy & comfortable scent with the loveliest wood notes. Makes me want to hug trees! :D

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

goïste is simply quite perfect: fresh mandarin-lavender top, vanilla-amber-sandalwood base. It's one of those rare scents that suit any mood and occasion, it's never out of date or out of place. A Classic.
I've worn Égoïste since 1990, my husband has worn it for years, we both wore Égoïste when we got married! :D Could never be without a bottle of it.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons EdP is still my favourite CdG scent after trying them all! It's a unique powerful spicy concoction, that makes a statement and has a HUGE presence, definitely not for the faint of heart...
Since I've managed to fight off an upcoming flu with it twice I can only repeat what Rei Kawabuko herself has said about it: "A perfume that behaves like a drug and works like a medicine."
07th August, 2004 (last edited: 14th April, 2008)

Arabie by Serge Lutens

Arabie smells like a souk: heat, dust, smoke, loads of spices, dried and candied fruit, nuts...
Don't be afraid to wear it on a hot weather, it gets even better!
jacona Show all reviews

Azzura by Azzaro

One of my favorite citrus scents. A blend of mandarin orange, a touch of floral on a base of woods and vanilla. Perfect if you're looking for a citrus with complexity and depth.
06th August, 2004 (last edited: 20th May, 2011)

Seattle Rain by The Goth Rosary

Fresh and clean. It actually does smell like a rainy day up here in the great North West. I wouldn't consider it a marine scent, because it is sooooo much more mellow than the ones I've smelled.

Mayhem by The Goth Rosary

Good stuff, smokey with a dry woody base.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Lovely fragrance, my all time favourite. Gets a lot of compliments, too. Very elegant, refined.
06th August, 2004 (last edited: 07th August, 2004)

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Truly a most marvelous summer scent! It's beachy, warm, but not too sweet. I've worn and loved this even in the middle of the summer in Phoenix - very few fragrances hold up to that test! Try layering it with a citrus - I've used Eau d'Orange Vert with good results.

Kingdom Limited Edition by Alexander McQueen

Girly yes, but I like it too! Agreed that it is a milder version of the original, which I love. It's much better suited to the summer months when that cumin note might be a bit heavy-handed. The addition of the citrus top note doesn't spoil it for me, as it hardly lasts a moment on my skin. I'm just left with the lovely combo of rose-spice-woods.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

One of my favorite scents! Very different, kind of underwhelming at first sniff from the bottle, it smells like "refrigerated air". But then, when you wear it, you come to detect the notes of sand dunes, flaming rocks, thunderstorms. The scent is very sneaky. It smells great but nobody will think its a cologne. They will just think you smell nice naturally, like a cool breeze. There is nothing in Odeur 53 that you can pin down to an organic source such as grass, citrus, wood etc. It smells like the "weather"! Five Stars all the way!
Griff Show all reviews

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I will never know why Guerlain killed this one off. It is absolutely ravishing. Feminine? Yes, but I like it too. Confession: Sometimes on a summer evening where I know I will be outdoors, I layer a mist of Après L'ondée over a generous spritz of either Marc Jacobs for Men or Jo Malone Fig and Cassis. The added note of fig in each seems to transmute and subdue the potent powder of Après L'ondée into something mysterious and masculine. Men AND women have asked what I was wearing and where they could get some. I just smile and say, "It's my own concoction..."
Griff Show all reviews

Tabac Blond by Caron

Luca Turin's comments regarding this admittedly bizarre women's fragrance (as relayed in The Emporer of Scent by Chandler Burr. If you haven't read it yet, do so) was what compelled me to first explore the world of classic women's perfumes. His description was so curious, (something about it being a favorite of urbane lesbians in the 1950's...the woman who wore this was not the girl you would bring home to mother...) I simply had to smell it for myself. I found my first full, sealed, 1940's vintage bottle in perfect condition (on eBay). Mesmerizing, potent and definitely singular. Absolutelyl unlike any other fragrance I have every encountered. Its sharp, nicotined-stained topnotes morph slowly down into a deep range of swarthy, dark mahagony basenotes with incredible staying power (for me, over 24 hours!)and like all Caron products, it is to my nose just a tinge nasty and dirty (but in an entirely good way). Hard to imagine this on any woman. Maybe that's why they discontinued it. They should have repackaged it as pour homme. For now, I treasure the stash I have collected. I sometimes dab Tabac Blond on my wrists before going to bed. It guarantees me some pretty torrid dreams.