Latest Perfume Reviews

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Reminds me of Curve with a sweeter edge. Very fresh with a little tang. Using this with the matching aftershave balm is perfect for a long casual day of activity. Love the soft rubber cap as it resembles the radio knob in an automobile.
05th July, 2001

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

I got to try Mambo last night and found it to be much more than I expected. At first, the spicy head notes immediately reminded me of muted Catalyst or Pasha, both of which I like. Yet it wasn't long before the scent took a quick change of tempo: perfect for that fast-paced Latin dance motif.
The fragrance architecture made the mid-notes amazingly different than the top notes and yet they did not conflict or distract from the overall rich aroma. The smooth base notes were the final and lasting essences that prolonged the beauty of this newcomer to the arena.
I quite liked the bottle design as well. The quirky little offset about mid-bottle remained true to the Latin dance as it reminded me of slender fo me of slender foorm of the Spanish dancer, hips slightly cocked. Strangely enough, it also reminded me of the confident stance of the matador--cool and poised with red cape in hand; an air of practiced arrogance in the face of peril. The color scheme was also well thought out as it comprises colors of spice and romance. The center of the bottle depicting the flaming orange, yellow, and red colors of high passion. It is obvious that this product's architecture and design was brilliantly devised.
04th July, 2001

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

I approve. Warm, intimate and cloying. Perfect for an outdoor party on a summer Evening or fun on the town. The bottle is a trip. Two colors merging together like a sunset....slanting together at odd angles. A keeper.
02nd July, 2001

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

My first impressions are as follows. Immediately, there is a fresh,clean, musky note that makes me feel comfortable! Its a sexy, soft, velvety smell. It is definately a universal scent in its blend. I keep sniffing myself as its evolving! I thought it would be more spicy!!, and Im glad its not. It has a balanced freshness and warmth!! Can't wait to hear your views:-) Claiborne has another winner!!
29th June, 2001

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

Cristobal Homme a very very opulent baroque oriental scent. This scent is very well made and accents the woman's version perfectly. The fragrance is rich in tea, amber, golden tobacco, rich coffee, and oriental spices. With this scent containing coffee and amber it is NOTHING like Rochas Man or Angel for men, the latter two are sweet were in Cristobal the coffee gives the scent a very bitter bite, kind of like the bite you find in Joop Homme and Dolce & Gabbana. This is a scent that if you OD on it you could make yourself very ill, it very rich and lingering trail. I would not say this is for the office or casual wear but dress up and not for the summer a must for fall and winter cold days. The scent does come in a lighter version called cologne d' orient which is much fresher and lighter. I love the scent, the bottle is beautiful the fragrance is a unique pale blue/green.
27th June, 2001

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

It smells good to me, and my girlfriend likes it. The smell reminds me of DK. I'd give it a 5 [out of five].
22nd June, 2001

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I LOVE THIS!!!!! PERFECT SUMMER SCENT!!! SO fresh and light. YAAAAMMMM!!!! nice lingering herbaceaus notes. I sampled this a while back and have gradually come to LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
12th June, 2001 (last edited: 10th August, 2001)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I wore it for years in the 80's! It was my signature scent! Now, my signature scent varies from week to week!!lol It is a rich, seductive fragrance that lingers and penetrates the skin! A girl that I knew back then wore it exclusively; because it was Cher's favorite scent!. She was known to wear it, and bathe her boy toys in it as well!! LOL! "If I could turn back time" :-) lol I have to go find the old mini I have of it for a revisit!!:-)
09th June, 2001

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

I must say the most animalistic scent EVER and possibly one of the best fragrances ever is 'By Dolce Gabbana'. It comes in a zebra striped bottle. It screams GRRRRRRRR, LETS GET BUSY!!!! yes, Al is on hormonal overload AGAIN.
31st May, 2001

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

it was very light and similar to a softer version of Jil Sander men. Ive worn it all day..and it is a scent that really lasts..but very close to the skin! I was able to smell it clearly when I sniffed my wrists closely all day! I did refresh...but then I always do with any scent

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Yesterday pick up a bottle of the original Flannel because of all the talk here about it recently. It is unique how this scent was so ahead of its time. Very floral and woody and clean. Nothing else I think copies this scent.

Un Air de Java by Decléor

On my recent trip the only fragrance I found of moderate interest was Un Air de Java which smells the way Pure Vetiver should (and doesn't)

Candie's Men by Candie's

I was REALLY turned off by the magazine and in- store ads I saw, but when I had some given to me I began to examine it, trying to extricate the fragrance from the ads. In the end, while not a classic in many of our opinions, I did find it a "fun" fragrance. It is like Candy. Not a 'serious' fragrance, but something to be bathed in and toyed with as many teens (the demographic target) might like to do (not that some of us don't). There are certain fresh elements in it that make me feel kind of kid- like.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I wore it years ago and always loved it! Its a citrusy warm oriental in the same arena as Allure & Lalique Bleu. Very comfortable and easy to wear! Great bottle too!!
22nd May, 2001

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

It is a great, warm, long lasting scent.
22nd May, 2001

High... for Men by Patrick Cox

Tried Patrick Cox's new scent today, called High, and think I've found a winner...at least for now. Here's my corny first impressions. For the take-off we have the initial notes of Indian Lime, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Balsamite, & Peppermint. I know, I know nothing too special in that line-up. Lots of fresh scents have the citrus briggade to start things off, but my nose really picked up on that lime, grapefruit, and the slight hint of that peppermint and that got my nose out of cruise control. Next, at the apex of the journey, the heart notes composed of Basil, Violet leaves, and Geraniums began breezing in. At this point, I began to see a slight resemblance to Eternity, but those wonderfully refreshing citrus notes that were still floating about kept that from going too far. Lastly, at our cruising altitude, those smoooooooth base notes of Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, and Moss kicked in and that was it I was a bit euphoric all day. Each time I thought it was petering out I caught a little whiff and we were back in the old stratusphere. Thanks for flying Patrick Cox airways!! Seriously, guys, I think it's worth a try if you can get hold of some. Many may find it similar to other things, but with my limited, but ever-growing, fragrance experiences I find it a nice change from what I've found as "common" fresh scents.
20th May, 2001

Happy for Men by Clinique

I love the freshness, but it just doesn't last. I had a sample vial that I used over the course of a day. I can usually milk one of these for a while, but, not counting the initial application, I had to freshen up three times in order to continue experiencing this initially great scent. Yet another one of the "gone in 60 seconds" kind of fresh fragrances that seem to permeate the market and ultimately insult the buyer.
17th May, 2001

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

A friend in Europe sent me a sample vial of this scent. I think it the most great long lasting aqua scent I've tried. But I can't find it any where.
16th May, 2001

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I remember wearing this scent in the late 80's it was remarkable and still unlike anything else on the men's market. The mix of floral and woods blended just right that not female at all. Now Dior seem to be breathing new life in the scent by relaunching it. I received to beautifully packaged spray sample this past month and WOW I'm in love with this scent again. I may buy this one again, it seems when your away from these thing then smell them again there even better!
15th May, 2001

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I love this scent much lighter than 'BY' Dolce & Gabanna meaning less on the tobacco. The scent is much more longer lasting on me (whole day) than 'BY' is and has a nice spiced amber notes. I'm hooked..
15th May, 2001

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I don't like Pleasures - it's too Œwith it¹, trendy, etc. It's as if Lauder took a look at the success of Tommy and decided....
I don't find it has a lot of depth. And this isn't to say that I dislike all fragrances of this type: Issey is excellent, as is Rocher's Homme Nature and Lucky You. And I have been fond of a number of Lauder scents, both male and female. I really appreciate Youth Dew, White Linen, Knowing, Private Collection, Aliage. I have also worn Aramis, Tuscany, Aramis 900. Since Ms Lauder retired the quality of the products from this company seems to have gone downhill. The fragrances are brought to the public based on market research, not intuition. Estee Lauder never launched a scent based on market trends. If she like the fragrance it was simply put into production.
05th May, 2001

Insensé by Givenchy

I like Insensé very much, I have seen it described more often as a "woody floral". I also read it was the male couterpart of "Amarige" also by Givenchy. I like original scents, including floral scents for men, and this one is very special. The flowers here are lily-of-the- valley and gardenia. It is not sold in the stores anymore here in Montréal, unlike "Insensé ultramarine", which I like even more.
30th April, 2001

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

Buy the Essence and the EDT!! They are fabulous oriental blends that are very complex and long lasting. The drydown is ambery with a soft tonka bean finish. The freshness of the mandarine and anise circulates throughout the scent! The packaging and bottles are of excellent quality from this very fine Fragrance and Jewelry House.
25th April, 2001

Devin by Aramis

I remember over 20 years ago ( yeah, some of you weren't even around then.. hehe) my first fragrance that I bathed in was Devin by Aramis! I haven't smelled this since then...but I recall I was always getting compliments.
25th April, 2001

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

It reminds me of a chocolate bar that fell into a cup of latte and spilled all over some cotton candy...and "stuck" there and fermented for days! Sorry..but No A*Men for me:-(
04th April, 2001

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A-Men is a very high quality scent but I don't like it in the slightest. It becomes overly sweet on my skin and turns into pure vanilla on the drydown. Angel for Women affects me similarly. When I first smell it on a woman I think it is the most wonderful fragrance imaginable but after a short time I find it annoying and finally quite irritating and nausea-inducing. But enough on my feedback - you need to try the fragrance on your OWN skin. It might work really well for you. Fragrance is funny like that. I work with a woman who applies perfume and the scent - any scent - is gone within ten minutes. Other women can apply the same fragrance and it smells beautiful all day. Skin chemistry, I guess.
03rd April, 2001

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Amen is the closest thing to an aphrodisiac that I have ever encountered. No Joke (read old basenotes posts about my experiences). I find it too sweet BUT every time(and I mean EVERY time) I wear it out I end up with a girl. ITS CRAZY!!! However, it smells different on me than ANYONE else I have ever smelled it on. On me its lavendery with a little vanilla/caramel scent. Mugler is very generous with samples so if you go to a sax5th or Bloomingdales ask for a sample and wear it for a week. Not for a day or two but for a week. Ironically, the ONLY girl I ever met who did not like it is the girl I've fallen for.
03rd April, 2001

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I bought DKNY around the holidays,and thought I really liked it...NOT! It didn't take long for me to put it aside. Nothing to write home about at all! The bottle also bugs me..its too long and narrow, and kept falling over on my dresser. I had 3/4 of the large bottle left, and used it as a room freshener!!...pass this one up!

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Its okay! I though I would like it because it reminded me of DK Fuel with the suede. I've only wore it once and don't think I'll wear it again

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

Personally, I find it very sharp and I agree with Ernie the bottle is awful! Too narrow and just stupid looking.