Latest Perfume Reviews

Eau de Russe by Crown Perfumery

Though not one of my favorite Crown items, Eau du Russe is indeed a fine scent that develops well on my skin. Typical of fragrances from its time-frame it begins with a potent citrus barrage and slowly fades into a very light masculinely floral scent and finally into a powdery oriental drydown with touches of leather. I'm supposing that this might be Russian leather I'm smelling, though I think the name has something to do with who it was created for: Czar Nicholas I. Though this is a pleasant scent, it is easy to see why Clive Christian decided to cut it from the line-up as this scent has quite a bit of overlap with other Crown scents in the men's line.
Comments I've received have labeled this scent as a cross betweenPlay-dough and baby powder
29th March, 2002

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Today I tried the new Givenchy Homme. The bottle is very striking art deco style with a deep metallic maroon color, very hard to describe you have to see it. You want to pick this bottle up. The spray button reminded me of a car door lock, I believe the bottle is designed after the art deco styling of a old Jaguar.
The fragrance smells very much like Fendi Theorema Uomo, spicy, fresh, green and heavy with dava notes.
27th March, 2002

Rochas Man by Rochas

This fragrance is sexy and sensual, rich and mysterious. If you like Animale Animale or Angel for Men then you will like this one. I actually prefer it to Angel for Men. The compliments I get never end. Has to be one of the best newer scents I've tried.
19th March, 2002

Herrera for Men Refreshing Ginger by Carolina Herrera

Very classy, but I had a hard time distinguishing it from the Original Herrera! I'd test it before I bought it, if you're looking for Herrera Plus...it's pretty much Herrera Original, which I DO like, very much.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

It's a terrific, rich scent that's rich, spicey, and warm. It's full bodied and very fresh. A real quality scent, that has lots of surprizes. I recommend it. josh august

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I read Basenotes reviews before I tried Angel Men. I love it. It's one of the most "soothing" scents I've ever worn. It is sweet, but also very, very warm, long lasting, and completely unique. You smell like you just stepped out of a clean shower...all day! It's great!

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

A very nice masculine classic scent. Mossy and spicy but not too sharp. To quote Scentimus: "A bright floral mossy chypre. The scent is never over powering but very long lasting."
15th March, 2002

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

I was knocked out by this great fragrance. I heard about on Basenotes. It's incredibly fresh and invigorating and very, very masculine, but not at all heavy. The spray deodorant and body wash are equally great! It kind of smells like great old barber shops use to smell. years ago. This one is worth a try. It's not easy to find, however. It's from London and not sold widely in the US. I got it through The Grooming Lounge, recommended on this site. The only thing as good and fresh as Skinwear...is Endurance...their brand new scent!
10th March, 2002

Endurance by Ted Baker

I just tried this fragrance and I loved it! It's very similar to the other Ted Baker scent, Skinwear. They are both amazingly fresh and talk about a way to "wake up" in the morning. It's a hair sweeter than Skinwear, and I like the added lightness. But this, like Skinwear, is a very, masculine, fresh, and totally unique fragrance. People are just knocked out by it. Try it...it's not only different...it's great.
10th March, 2002

Elite by Floris

This mellow citrus/woody scent is very sophisticated, confident, and mature. There is a touch of tuberose to give it its unique signature. The combination of bergamot, grapefruit, sandalwood, vetiver, lavender, oakmoss, patchouli is very classic..add the tuberose note and the flavor is apart form the woody/citrus mainstream scents. Very well constructed and from the oldest family run perfume house in London!
03rd March, 2002

Rochas Man by Rochas

This is one of the best scents I've tried in years. It's very rich, warm, and unique. It lasts and it's great to just "sniff" yourself! I got lots of compliements from both women and men. Very classy...like most of the Rochas Scents
02nd March, 2002 (last edited: 16th March, 2002)

Unbound for Men by Halston

I got a chance to smell this and it's good. It smells just like Acqua Di Gio. Some will hate it because of that. I don't. Unbound is less money and just as good.
01st March, 2002

Sergio Soldano for Men (Black) by Sergio Soldano

I first found this fragrance in Naples, Italy. Peppery, fiery, and spicy this fragrance, although hard to find is well worth the search.
26th February, 2002

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

After reading the sterling reviews on this fragrance I purchased a bottle (expensive). I expected an incredible fragrance after reading all the reviews from other Basenotes Readers but was shocked and appalled at what I smelled. For some reason it smelled more like an acrid medicine than fragrance and four people in the room tried it on. Noone liked it except someone who'd been drinking and knew no better so I gave it to him. I honestly gave it a chance but it was a HUGE disappointment for what I paid. I will stick with Allure thanks.
25th February, 2002

Pi by Givenchy

I love 'pi' and loved it from the get go. Walked into Harrods in '99 and this great, warm, sensual scent waft over me. Harrods was introducing the fragrance and I bought it as well as the spray deodorant and have loved it ever since. I love the fresh and warm combination. I sometimes combine it with others ie: Roccabar (I know it sounds awful, but it kind of "perks" it up a bit). But on its own, I find this one of the great modern day scents.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I love this scent but do not wear it myself. I DO wear the Eau Sauvage Spray Deodorant. The only problem is finding it. I bought mine in Paris and may have to go back to re-stock! It's a great spray deodorant after a shower.

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Good scent. It doesn't smell cheap or funky. It has a clean scent that isn't too powerful. Plus, women have made good comments about it.

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

A very remarkable scent very reminiscnet of Desire by Dunhill, yet was launched prior to it I believe. I think Sculpture is more rich in its complexity and development, though.

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

This is one scent that I have a lot of fun wearing. It seems to be what I classify as a "fun" fragrance with all the depth and character of a sophistated scent. The top notes are strong with tobacco and whisky, while also giving place to a fruity accord that lends cheer to the typical "dark"-ness of the aforementioned notes. The middle is a surprisingly long-lasting spice, dominated by ginger, which blends masterfully with the other levels of the fragrance. Finally, the scent is rounded out by some rich woods and balsam, which lend a strong base of longevity to the scent. Wear this scent if you feel unpredictable and playfully impulsive as it could function well within the range of a casual, office, evening, or meditative scent. A wondeful and classic addition to anyone's collection.

Jacomo de Jacomo Original by Jacomo

This is almost the epitome of a classic manly, leather scent. Carefully applied and not overindulged in this scent could be a good introduction into this genre of scent by those who favor the lighter more citrus scents. I think, however, it runs the danger of smelling a bit too common.

Inis by Fragrances of Ireland

This is truly one of the most fresh, long-lasting, oceanic fragrances I've come across. It's longevity is fantastic in that the base notes seem to blend and revitalize the top and heart notes so that the beauty of the whole fragrance is captured in this last and most poignant phase of the essence. A definite tribute to the Emerald Isle.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

What a fun fragrance! It's full of sensual, seemingly edible, floral/fruitiness, but does not lose it's masculine charm by the presence of this intricately intertwined notes. The strength of the chocolate and rose really come out with my skin. The fragrance is sheer pleasure to smell as it unfolds on the skin. A great addition to my collection. Very unique and sexy.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Wow! This scent is a truly heady and sophisticated classic that should be in any man's scent library. The patchouli and leather notes blend almost magically to create an aura of confidence and sensuality. A certain time-honored classic.

Arabie by Serge Lutens

Probably one of the most ingeniously crafted and superbly developing scents I've experienced. All the sweet and more subtle essences of the Holidays, yet wearable anytime. Must be tried to really appreciate.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

My very first fragrance, and my favorite oriental!
Warm yet fresh, with its orangy top notes and sweet basenotes.
Still love it!
21st October, 2001

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

have not had a chance but looking forward to soon as i can find it in the stores!!!
19th October, 2001

Samouraï by Alain Delon

ONE OF THE RICHEST, MOST UNIQUE AND BEAUTIFUL SCENTS YOU CAN FIND ANYWHERE

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Polo is my staple fragrance. I like it and have always liked it. On occasion I'll temporarily ditch it for something else, mainly in warm weather as it is a fall/winter fragrance to me. I'll smell some guy at the store and go

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm 26, but spent a lot of time around my older sisters' boyfriends in the 80's. So all those scents from that era are ingrained in me as favs- Polo, Aramis, Kouros. Kouros is one of my significant other's favorites. She says it smells like dryer sheets, but she likes it anyway, because she likes the smell of dryer sheets!!! :)
At any rate, it is a bit strong on top, but after about an hour or two it warms up, and the warmth is with you all day. Its a very dry fragrance, but warm.

Black by Bulgari

Two words:
Wet cardboard.
I'm not saying that's good or bad, but most people would agree. Wet cardboard.