Latest Perfume Reviews

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I remember wearing this scent in the late 80's it was remarkable and still unlike anything else on the men's market. The mix of floral and woods blended just right that not female at all. Now Dior seem to be breathing new life in the scent by relaunching it. I received to beautifully packaged spray sample this past month and WOW I'm in love with this scent again. I may buy this one again, it seems when your away from these thing then smell them again there even better!
15th May, 2001

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I love this scent much lighter than 'BY' Dolce & Gabanna meaning less on the tobacco. The scent is much more longer lasting on me (whole day) than 'BY' is and has a nice spiced amber notes. I'm hooked..
15th May, 2001

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I don't like Pleasures - it's too Œwith it¹, trendy, etc. It's as if Lauder took a look at the success of Tommy and decided....
I don't find it has a lot of depth. And this isn't to say that I dislike all fragrances of this type: Issey is excellent, as is Rocher's Homme Nature and Lucky You. And I have been fond of a number of Lauder scents, both male and female. I really appreciate Youth Dew, White Linen, Knowing, Private Collection, Aliage. I have also worn Aramis, Tuscany, Aramis 900. Since Ms Lauder retired the quality of the products from this company seems to have gone downhill. The fragrances are brought to the public based on market research, not intuition. Estee Lauder never launched a scent based on market trends. If she like the fragrance it was simply put into production.
05th May, 2001

Insensé by Givenchy

I like Insensé very much, I have seen it described more often as a "woody floral". I also read it was the male couterpart of "Amarige" also by Givenchy. I like original scents, including floral scents for men, and this one is very special. The flowers here are lily-of-the- valley and gardenia. It is not sold in the stores anymore here in Montréal, unlike "Insensé ultramarine", which I like even more.
30th April, 2001

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

Buy the Essence and the EDT!! They are fabulous oriental blends that are very complex and long lasting. The drydown is ambery with a soft tonka bean finish. The freshness of the mandarine and anise circulates throughout the scent! The packaging and bottles are of excellent quality from this very fine Fragrance and Jewelry House.
25th April, 2001

Devin by Aramis

I remember over 20 years ago ( yeah, some of you weren't even around then.. hehe) my first fragrance that I bathed in was Devin by Aramis! I haven't smelled this since then...but I recall I was always getting compliments.
25th April, 2001

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

It reminds me of a chocolate bar that fell into a cup of latte and spilled all over some cotton candy...and "stuck" there and fermented for days! Sorry..but No A*Men for me:-(
04th April, 2001

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A-Men is a very high quality scent but I don't like it in the slightest. It becomes overly sweet on my skin and turns into pure vanilla on the drydown. Angel for Women affects me similarly. When I first smell it on a woman I think it is the most wonderful fragrance imaginable but after a short time I find it annoying and finally quite irritating and nausea-inducing. But enough on my feedback - you need to try the fragrance on your OWN skin. It might work really well for you. Fragrance is funny like that. I work with a woman who applies perfume and the scent - any scent - is gone within ten minutes. Other women can apply the same fragrance and it smells beautiful all day. Skin chemistry, I guess.
03rd April, 2001
anak Show all reviews

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Amen is the closest thing to an aphrodisiac that I have ever encountered. No Joke (read old basenotes posts about my experiences). I find it too sweet BUT every time(and I mean EVERY time) I wear it out I end up with a girl. ITS CRAZY!!! However, it smells different on me than ANYONE else I have ever smelled it on. On me its lavendery with a little vanilla/caramel scent. Mugler is very generous with samples so if you go to a sax5th or Bloomingdales ask for a sample and wear it for a week. Not for a day or two but for a week. Ironically, the ONLY girl I ever met who did not like it is the girl I've fallen for.
03rd April, 2001

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I bought DKNY around the holidays,and thought I really liked it...NOT! It didn't take long for me to put it aside. Nothing to write home about at all! The bottle also bugs me..its too long and narrow, and kept falling over on my dresser. I had 3/4 of the large bottle left, and used it as a room freshener!!...pass this one up!

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Its okay! I though I would like it because it reminded me of DK Fuel with the suede. I've only wore it once and don't think I'll wear it again

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

Personally, I find it very sharp and I agree with Ernie the bottle is awful! Too narrow and just stupid looking.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I got a sample of this a few weeks ago. I was not impresssed. It's typical of Estee Lauder's latest scents - totally undistinguished. It is a light, fresh scent - so what else is new? It doesn't compare with the original men's scent by Donna Karan. That was great! The only current fragrance that contains the very original suede note is Hugo Dark Blue. While I don't this is as good as DK Original, it [DKNY] isn't bad.

anak Show all reviews

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Umm, I would not go for it. Try Allure instead. It is a similar scent but more subtle and better made. Boss6 is a little cloying and synthetic smelling. It has done poorly in the US as well (east coast at least). Just a warning, you might love it who knows so try it out first.
21st March, 2001

Allure Homme by Chanel

Polges created this scent along with an advanced team from Chanel. Much research went into this fragrance it was developed at a private Island some where off of Greece. The scent is not designed like a pyramid with top, middle and bottom notes.
Instead it is designed like a multifaceted diamond when not one note goes away instead they keep bouncing off one another, the womans is designed the same way.
I also read in the article they had machines testing the scent on men while the walked tread mills to see if the scent would break down during physical excertion.
Chanel put a lot into this scent it was geared to the Western world. Very 2001 tech for Chanel huh...
18th March, 2001

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Yes!! Lanvin is very nice..I've used it for a few years now..It's a crisp, but warm sensual woody mix. Very well blended and refined. Definately worth trying..and buying:-)
15th March, 2001

Touch for Men by Burberry

I really like the deep lingering white musk note in this fragrance, very clean and great for spring
07th March, 2001

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I like the Boss #6 scent, it did take awhile to grow on me at first I found it too sweet like candy. It's like Chanel's Allure for men but more on the sweet notes
05th March, 2001

Insensé by Givenchy

Yes, I ve worn Insensé and really liked it too! I still have a mini or two in storage. It is a very different and unique scent for a man. When it first came out, I wore it for months..and a female friend said it reminded her of Amarige (?)
26th February, 2001

Insensé by Givenchy

I have a bottle of Insensé that I haven't worn that much. I think I might use it this springtime. When I got it first I found it was a little too floral, but it's really a great fragrance, and it certainly has character! I didn't like Ultramarine at first, but it has grown on me.
26th February, 2001

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Egoiste is very long lasting. It is described as woody and spicy, the main spice here being cinnamon. I love it, much more than Platinum! The name means SELFISH in French. I read that it had another name at first: Bois Noir (black wood).
25th February, 2001

Insensé by Givenchy

This is one of my favorite Givenchy scents and I always reach for it around spring time. A very unique scent... I will admit is the only men's scent around that is very rich in florals (floral/woody/amber) possibily why it was pulled from sales in the United States, it was too racy. Yet I really don't like the Ultramarine version though.
25th February, 2001

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

The original Egoiste is a very rich vanilla and sandalwood scent, very very long lasting. I use to love the scent and wore it all the time...but have since moved on to others. Think of the scent like Obsession for men but much sweeter.
24th February, 2001

Joop! Homme by Joop!

A great causal fragrance geared to the men who want to be noticed and to leave a calling card behind This fragrance demands risk! It's should be worn to a club or a rock concert and throw conservative out the window!
21st February, 2001 (last edited: 10th April, 2008)

Touch for Men by Burberry

I was given a sample of Touch and it is exactly as you describe. Very fine - and the bottle with its wooden top is very handsome.
21st February, 2001

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

A mixture of Mediterranean herbs. Rosemary, thyme, basil, etc. Very much like Yatagan by Caron. Thought this had been discontinued some time ago.

Old Spice Fresh Lime by Shulton

It was the standard Old Spice fragrance with a topnote of lime. This faded quite rapidly and did not disappear totally. Very refreshing and pleasant. Long gone.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

the most aquatic scent I know. Smells exactly like a walk along with sea shore. Salty, sea-weed-like scent that I do not care for but it is very well made for what it is. Comes in one of the best bottles ever: a stylized bamboo stalk.
12th February, 2001 (last edited: 15th July, 2009)

Jules by Christian Dior

An aromatic mixture of woods, fruit and spices. Somewhat similar to Poison but much more subdued and refined. It was not a success and I haven't seen it in years.
Unlike any other men's fragrance.

Hai Karate by Healthpoint Ltd

A rip-off of Jade East that was bought by the guys who didn't want to spend the big bucks to get the original. A floral Oriental scent. Harsher and less refined than Jade East.