Latest Perfume Reviews

Fantasy by Britney Spears

It smells beautiful. I’ve been wearing this for over 10 years and I honestly don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it. It’s my signature scent, as much as I wish it was one that wasn’t so popular, I have to admit.

Cool Water by Davidoff

The GOOD behind this fragrance:hints of tobacco,musk,citrusy fresh,and peppermint.

The BAD behind this fragrance:It's not original and copied from a fragrance made in 1935.It's $5 and found in the grocery's called Ice Blue by Aqua Velva.

Not many people made the connection yet.Or at least pretend they haven't.A little sad that people were dropping $45 back in 1990 on a $5 aftershave scent with mildly higher quality of the same notes structure.

Uomo Intense by Valentino

Big iris opening similar to DH but has the extra powdery-chocolate feel that DHI is famous for. Also kinda gives me a cola vibe, kinda like M7. Soft, seductive and dressed up. Great for cooler weather.

Performance is excellent, projects and lasts all day with only a few sprays.

Maduro by Fort and Manlé

While I had my reservations, I decided to pick up a few samples directly from the Fort&Manly website. I am a lover of tobacco scents and I was pleased with the scent but not impressed to the point of spending a few hundred dollars on a small bottle. You see the overall framework of this fragrance reminds me of Joop Homme. The sweet opening of Maduro is pleasant with pineapple and apple almost coming across as mildly floral. The tobacco note is present but only in the background. The differences of these two scents can be projection. Joop Homme is very sweet overall while Maduro sits closer to the skin. The tobacco in Maduro being the main accord that differentiates itself. So how is Maduro similar to Joop you may ask? Both fragrances share similarities in the note breakdown. Both scents have Patchouli, Vetiver, Vanilla, Amber and Cinnamon (although cinnamon leaf is the accord in Maduro). Also, I would make the case that Maduro has beeswax as one of the notes where Joop has honeysuckle. Joop has the notes of Bergamot and Jasmine and orange blossom, while Maduro has Pineapple, Basil and Apple. Not to go on a rant but I wanted to make my case of the similarities and the lack of orginality. The other glaring point is the difference in price point of these two fragrances. I would suggest the purchasing of this scent to only those with deep pockets. My rating 6.5/10

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Uggg,,,just ugg. I know that a lot of people like this one but I cant, and I've tried. I mean why would i want to hate on a cologne i paid over $100 for, feal i've wasted my money. To me it literally smells like an old ladies perfume from the 80's. Harsh synthecic fruity rose,,,just way to strong and last way to long.Thats the only plus I can give it is it's staying power thats it... I know sent is very subjective but I can't imagine why any man would like this one...a woman yes but not a older woman at that its perfect for them.

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Pretty disappointing with this. The best thing I have to say about this is the bottle looks nice. The perfume is forgettable and very boring and plain to me. Very average in performance and would not buy. I prefer the original le male over this any day of the week.

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Tried a sample of EDT and EDP. So far they smell the same to me. Not sure what the difference is but EDT lasted pretty long on me (6 hrs at least.) I like the smell. It's a good everyday cologne and can be used in many situations. Good projection and longevity.

Les Exceptions : Oriental Express by Thierry Mugler

I bought Oriental Express blind, and sadly wish I hadn't. On me, this fragrance is exactly like a somewhat modernised version of Vol de Nuit. I don't actually dislike this soft, powdery perfume, but it definitely does not smell original (despite some of its novel sounding ingredients); it's longevity is very poor (less than an hour) and sillage is virtually non existent. It might react very differently on other people, but for me, it was a complete waste of money.

Viking by Creed

The ingredients are quite piercing; There is peppermint, but it is countered by an equally piercing lemon note. Certainly fresh and evocative of the ocean, or at least, a heavily chlorinated swimming pool.

Viking is pure freshness in the start. Whether it also develops some refinement later, we need to see in a full day test. For now, this is unusual, but not unequivocally positive; The lemon and peppermint feel at odds, not harmonious, and pretty loud.

This is actually headache-inducing, and the more I smell it, the more I hate it. I will wash this off and am glad I have only a sample of it. Maybe try again in a month. Sorry this isn't a full review, but this is definitely not for me.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

It's an enjoyable tobacco fragrance but has very few notes.Smells like a natural cinnamon cased pipe tobacco with hints of leather and cherry wine note.Unfortunately it doesn't remind me of a port...reminds of Night Train which is a cherry flavored bum wine.A cheap drink that that was found in any rural area gas station and the strongest buzz you could get since the closest liquor store was at least 70 miles away.

The cherry note isn't depressing as it fits to the holiday and winter feel of Burberry's the wine part and the familiar cherry combined.It's Christmas Eve and mom is sprinkling cinnamon on a mince fruit pie she just baked.Dad is found in the living room passed out,slouched in his leather chair and just finished his pipe.Beside his pipe on the side table you see a partial bottle of Night Train and an envelope.It's a foreclosure notice from the bank on the farmhouse...Merry Christmas.

Aside from how this fragrance rubs one on it's winter and Christmas memories...It's pretty stripped down in notes and in projection it starts out decent and goes to low.By the 6th hour I can't even smell it on me.Burberry London used to be pretty expensive which I would have gave it a thumb-downs easily at it's $55-$60 price tag for a 3.3oz bottle years ago.I waited until it was acquirable at the $30-$35 price range and blind-bought it.It's a mixed recommendation.

Le Vetiver by Carven

It's not like Carven Vetiver . Carven vetiver it's more hot ,more nice. If you want a scent for every days to worke is good LeVetiver. But if you want more....Carven Vetiver make for you.

Cicatrices by LM Parfums

Tested on right wrist in Europe. For 24 hours of travel home, it was a delight. My son adored it, kept asking to take a whiff of it.

A bit on the sweet side with amber, vanilla, caramel, probably would feel more appropriate if I were 23.

I wound up adoring Kingdom of Dreams on my left wrist, instead.

Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne

A truly well balanced tobacco. Not too dry or smoky. Not too spicy. Not too sweet. As feminine as masculine. So well done.

Frangipane e Cocco by I Profumi di Firenze

It's not bad. It makes me think of a light fragrance by Pierre Guillaume. Fresh almond and a soapy side. Good for summer, with low projection but good longevity.
rbaker Show all reviews

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

The opening notes are floral in nature, with jasmin and a touch of geranium, with a slightly leafy green undertone. Soon a nigh-ozonic aroma develops in the drydown, which is adding the after-the-rain fell quite well.

Later down the track, an earthy impression leads into the base, reminding me of wet soil.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

This spring daytime scent is not without an original side and is well crafted. No match to great masterpieces, like Apres l’Ondee for instance, in subtlety and quality of ingredients, but on a more pedestrian level it holds its own. 3.25/5.

Effusion for Him by Iceberg

I seem to be in something of a minority by liking this scent, and I will admit part of it is definitely nostalgia, as I owned this when it came out, but from an objective standpoint, Effusion was another of Iceberg's odd little genre hybrids, but one that actually works in spite of itself rather than just coming across as a tolerable but confused mess like Iceberg Twice Homme (1995) did. Effusion brings together the aquatic, the gourmand, and the damn near antiquated citrus/pepper/musk cologne accord that was so popular up to the turn of the 20th century. While I won't say this is anywhere on the level of Caswell-Massey Number Six (1789) or Blenheim Bouquet (1902), it does take that basic piquant approach to citrus and musk, with the pepper note reminiscent of the latter, and twists it up with gourmand elements and an overall aquatic construction, reinterpreting the style for the 21st century man. I feel this is the perfect bridge between something like your grandfather's Pino Silvestri (1955) and your older brother's Cool Water (1988), so for the person who wants a "freshie" that bridges two different generations and schools of thought, this is a noble gesture and great option. It's not particularly standout in any other way, and was thoroughly lost in the din of the competition at it's time of release, but that's okay, since it's a style that ages well and remains relevant even 17 years on. Effusion won't appeal to the guy who hates aquatics, which despite it's old-school nods still technically is, but for everyone else, this might be just the hot weather fighter to stand out from the crowd you may be looking for.

Effusion opens with black pepper and grapefruit. This isn't the "radioactive grapefruit" of other ozonics, but a true grapefruit that isn't over-sweetened or amplified, with the roundness of an apple note added to soften it a tad. The pepper never really goes away throughout the entire wear, but anyone who's worn the above classics already knows this, and is joined by anise before heading into a floral heart. This heart is where the aquatic framework of the scent is most on display, with orange blossom, rose, and freesia which were all typically reserved for feminines in this period. Iceberg says cedar, sandalwood, and patchouli are in the base, but let me tell you, if they are, they're almost invisible because white musk and a reinforced licorice note are all I get, which might also just be the anise from the top latching onto the pepper and lingering awhile. The particular combination of juicy top notes, flowers, and and musk could almost be a feminine perfume in it's own right, but because that pepper is there, and perhaps whatever generic woodsy accord (likely Iso-E Super) is sitting next to the musk, forms a dry enough backbone to keep this in guy's territory. It'll certainly wake you up in the morning, and won't really do you any favors in the romance department, but could easily be a gym bag hero if need be, since it tends to resist sweat too.

Effusion for Him is pretty typical second-generation aquatic if not for that pepper and the apple swirling in the top, but it's just odd enough to stand apart, for better or for worse, from it's peers of the time. I won't say this is an essential purchase for the guy who already has any of the classic scents this tends to draw inspiration from, nor would it be really important to an aquatic fan that already has a ton of them in his collection, but for somebody a little bit more adventurous and looking for a cool summer active scent, you could do a whole lot worse than this. It's asking price is rock bottom, like most Iceberg products, and rather limited in appeal outside casual use, also like most Iceberg products, but for a modern fresh fragrance lover that hasn't experienced black pepper, this is actually a good, safe starting point, since something like Blenheim Bouquet may in fact be too dry for such a modern palette. I had one, used it up, and just never replaced it since I rarely found use for it after I quit working outdoors, but I give it a thumbs up because it's a rather competent composition despite being more synthetic than a piece of American cheese. Longevity leaves something to be desired, but I think that makes this a good daytime-only scent that can be sprayed over with something more sensual when a romantic evening awaits. Besides that, it has sufficient sillage and is too unassuming to offend. A decent, albeit mostly unremarkable scent, with some neat ideas running throughout.

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Iceberg Twice Homme was aptly named, as it was the male counterpart to the second line of Iceberg fragrances since the little-known Italian fashion label wandered into the fragrance business at the end of the 80's. The debut masculine Iceberg Homme (1990) was a rather classic eau de cologne meets fresh fougère hybrid that while definitely an interesting scent, was rather an outlier in the scene. Five years later, and Iceberg returns with Twice Homme, another bright citrus scent with a near-gourmand level of richness and sweetness in the base, being yet another outlier at a time when men's fragrances were fairly polarized between nearly sterile freshness and culinary levels of richness. I am personally not a fan of this combination, but I do like the top notes of the scent, and am glad that Avon actually tackled the same idea but without the heavy body of the base when they made Perceive for Men in 2000, which takes the idea of Twice and presents it in what can most closely be described as an aromatic chypre, although not quite. Iceberg Twice Homme as it stands is probably the most popular of the older Iceberg masculines, which isn't saying much as everything the house has made until recent years has been a strange and not completely realized hybrid of ideas, that while good on paper don't pan out so well in execution. This is particularly true with Twice Homme, as it has a heavy-handed sillage reminiscent of the original Joop! Homme (1989), but without the novelty or blending.

Twice Homme opens with yuzu, not unlike L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (1994), but rather than stay stark and clean, quickly tenses up with peppermint, candy-grade lemon, and marigold (which is always weird in a masculine). The heart proves to be the bit of traditional perfumery keeping this from becoming too abstract, with geranium, jasmine, lavender, thyme, and tarragon being both classic in that barbershop fougère sense, but a little bit balsamic like a 70's fougère; it's honestly the best part of the fragrance. The base comes up with patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, and lime, most of those things which would be good base notes in an older-style masculine, but when set against the barbershop heart and bizarre top creates a schizophrenic transition from fresh, sweet, creamy, then green, and finally back to fresh with the lime. It's just a roller coaster for the nose that not everyone is really prepared for, especially me. Considering top and heart notes don't always go away when the base notes come out, that makes Iceberg Twice Homme even more obfuscating. It's hot and cold all in the same container, so when it's done mixing, it creates what can at times be a mildly nauseating swirl that ends up lukewarm in appeal, since one never knows what facets of this olfactory chimera are going to come out and play, since air temperature and body chemistry also play an important role. I get the impression that this is a top, heart, and base from three separate fragrances all spliced together Dr. Moreau style. For a lot of people who aren't the wiser, this might be a neat, funky little shindig, but for me, it feels like an unresolved experiment.

Iceberg Twice Homme wouldn't do the house any favors in the masculine market, but apparently sells well enough to stay in production, or at least there is so much surplus that it is commonly available. Either way, it's a cheap thrill to own if you really want to see what this one is about. It's an adequate enough example of 90's tropes, but with a bit of uncomfortable genre-bending, and some of what it presents would be done better later on. Fans of citrus and mint combined will love the fizzy opening, but the muddled heart of traditional fougère notes and green sweaty base will betray that opening before it's all done, meaning to truly embrace this with no qualms will be to embrace challenging fragrances. Granted, it's not the same degree of challenging as something with a heavy animalic in it, or a high degree of "dirty" musk, but the pandemonium of herbaceous note structures and the resultant clash that makes this a bit tacky to wear. Still, I don't think this thing is a complete disaster, just definitely for the person that wears Hawaiian print shirts to a wedding or thinks mullets are the best of both worlds, so I'd say if worn, it's probably best in fall or winter, where it's rather unique juxtaposition of values would be muted somewhat by colder air. The stuff is an absolute steal online, so the morbidly curious won't be punished too hard if they end up hating it.

Camélia Intrépide by Atelier Cologne

Like ION-ONE, I couldn't help but think of some adventurous woman called Amelia when seeing the name of the fragrance and smelling the dry leather of the fragrance. But I'm unsure it's an something Atelier Cologne would do. I thought they just chose names according to the notes they use.

Edit: I just saw the company says it's a tribute to her. Suits her well.

I like the first seconds a lot, and would have loved them to last. Fruit, flower, pepper. Then I thought the leather in the dry down was dry, way too dry, and rubber-ish.

After some minutes, it nearly disappears into a random floral mix.

I'm unsure about it, but I go for a neutral. It's quite well done though, if you like the notes. It's light and unisex.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Newton by William Blake

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

The Procession of the Corpus Christi, Toledo BY
Arthur Melville 1890

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

First thing that hits me is fresh bright very natural smelling lemon...this is immediately ruined by a very chemical synthetic smelling wood note...IMHO , smells like any of dozens of mall fragrances...citrus spice and synthetic wood...if this had a better quality of ingedients and better blending it could have been something along the lines of Eau Sauvage meets Invasion Barbare...but alas, all i can muster up for this is a big Meh!...does bear some resemblances to Sartorial...guess the British gentleman style of juice is not for me...bottom line- slightly above average run of the milll citrus/spice/wood concoction....

Pulp by Byredo

Someone just grabbed the back of my head and shoved my face into a bowl filled with a delicious very ripe fruit salad...what this really reminds me of is the compote that my mom and gramma used to brew up...all kinds of fruit cooked in a sweetened/spiced broth with just a splash of wine...i do get a boozy background and the kind of flavoring of spice that brings to mind mulling spices...a strong syrupy fruit intoxicating fruit ambrosia...i get great olfactory pleasure smelling this...only drawback to me is that due to the intensity and power found in this fragrance I find it hard to find the right time, place and temperature to properly wear this...bottom line - boozy spicy fruit bomb...

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos

Very nice citrus blast in the opening, fueled by the usual bergamot/petitgrain combo. Instead of neroli, it's lemon and orange, but the effect is still the same. Very refreshing, sour, bitter green citrus fruits.

Later into the drydown you get a spicy cumin note. The base is soft and woody with just a little of the bright green opening hanging on. It's reminiscent of high-end hotel or spa toiletries.

Seems like a great summer scent. Perfect for casual but it's also refined enough for some formal wear.

Projection is good during the first couple hours and then it settles down on the skin. That final phase lasts up until 4-5 hours.

Gold by Jay Z

Very soft and pleasant. I'm not sure if real blueberry is the first thing that comes to mind, maybe the scratch-n-sniff variety fits this smell better. I could definitely see this as a shower gel or lotion scent because it's very creamy, sweet and clean.

The drydown reminds me of something from childhood or teenage years, something feminine like juvenile celeb perfume or one of those strawberry shortcake dolls that was scented to smell like the characters' name. Just a touch of woodiness helps pull this back into a masculine feel but I wouldn't be surprised if ladies wore this and enjoyed getting compliments from men on how good they smell.

Projects nicely for a few hours and then settles to a skin scent for a total of 4-5 hours of longevity.

Gold Oud by By Kilian

Used to own it. Sold it cheap. Needed to rid myself of this. After a few wearings, it smelled like a mature Women’s scent. Rose Bouquet shower soap. Strange thing is, I received more money for the Coffret sold separately. Good riddance.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Round, well done. Amber green, infallible, and well blended mixture. Nothing else.
Perfume lovers will have it by one of the best and wisest realizations of the market. Well; but, for me, the perfume in general develops his artistic interest in an attempt to deepen the subjectivity. This perfume is objective, perfect, eternal success. I would give to understand that I not prefer it to the two Ambers Profumum Rome: there is the audacity of the evocation, the purity of the extravagance left to interpretation.
Ambre Sultan is autumn and bourgeois, its evocation is sober. And its popularity is justified.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Indefinable flavoured poison potion. Too watery notes attempt to calm down the perversion that protrudes into the opening: strong discomfort of dirty drunk, through a tortuous ideal of cheerful and funeral idleness.
It may not be well made, but is made: is what matters.
Development is tired, but the possibility of a drunken decline persists. There is a thick black and plastic behind the artificial sweetness that seeks to hold as an invitation to the pleasure of disorder (carnal disorder, the only posible here)
Extremely daring, really unpleasant, safe in his dissonant notes. I do not admire the perfume, I admire that it exists.

Monsieur Lanvin by Lanvin

Lanvin released it's first proper men's line in 1964, much like Elizabeth Arden had in 1957, not by releasing one marquee men's fragrance, but an assortment. There were 4 key scents in the Monsieur Lanvin line besides this eponymous creation, and they included "Monsieur Lanvin Figaro", "Monsieur Lanvin Lavande", and "Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver". Eventually the "Monsieur" was dropped from all but the eponymous scent a little further into the 60's and 70's, with just the name of the variety preceding the name of the house ("Vetyver Lanvin" etc.) before the whole men's line was essentially rebooted with Lanvin for Men in 1979, which shared the same octagonal column bottle as the rest anyway, further adding to some confusion over whether these were all the same scent or flankers of each other etc. Everything across the board was discontinued by 1992 when it was gobbled up by the Orcofi Group and then sold to L'Oreal, being stripped and streamlined for relevance with modern tastes for profitability, making all of the original masculines from the house become near-unicorns as they still had their loyal fans. For this reason, my ability to impart a review of this cult-status masculine is in no small part due to the kindness of a fellow Basenoter that wished for me to experience it, and for that I am thankful. Monsieur Lanvin sits at a strange cusp in the evolution of male-centric perfumery: it is heavily dependent on civet in the base, like many male chypres from the previous decade or so, but it isn't heavily reliant on aromatics, and instead chooses a floral heart which gives it a unisex quality to a modern nose, but back in the mid-60's, was probably just the unique "gentlemanly" angle the unknown perfumer was looking for in order to compete against a samey crowd. A similar very floral and very dry attack would be taken over a decade later by Grey Flannel (1975) which substituted the civet for tonka and pulled the whole shebang into fougère territory but barely.

Monsieur Lanvin opens with lemon, bergamot, sage, and some kind of generic green accord, maybe galbanum but only in small degrees. It's not the juicy lemon opening of most chypres from this period, but rather a very stark and dry citrus similar to the yuzu that would become popular in 90's scents. From there it goes right to the flower patch, taking us through carnation, jasmine (a note Grey Flannel only implies but doesn't have), geranium, and rose, before sandalwood and cinnamon comes to warm things up a bit. So far so good, and very floral, but no worse than any number of late 19th or early 20th century "dandy" masculines, so fans of Penhaligon's, Trumper, or D'Orsay would actually feel right at home in the heart here. I mean come on, Lanvin is nearly as old as them or Houbigant and Guerlain, so they're well within their rights to go this route, however late it may seem by 1964. After tip-toeing through the garden, the cat is let out of the bag with the unleashing of perhaps the biggest single civet note I've ever encountered in a masculine. Fans of Moustache Rochas (1949) are already trained to endure this, and anyone liking the castoreum/civet/styrax-dripping 80's powerhouses like One Man Show (1980), Kouros (1981), Lapidus Pour Homme (1987), or Sybaris (1988) already have sufficient tolerance to virile bases to handle Monsieur Lanvin. It's a silly thing, to have such a light dalliance of a top and middle in a fragrance, only to pull down the pants and swing the underwear overhead right at the end; the whole thing almost feels like a bait and switch, but I'm not judging. Labdanum, oakmoss, musk, leather and a degree of coumarin are noted to be in here somewhere, but that civet just draws all the attention away from them until the moss finally takes over late in the wear, so I can't really confirm that.

As far as male chypres go, this one is definitely an exercise in perfume as art. Monsieur Lanvin is way more complex than most things from the 50's which it follows up, but isn't nearly as approachable of a chypre as the flowers might make it seem thanks to the overall dryness followed by that 10 megaton nuclear warhead of civet at the end. I totally enjoy animalics in my fragrance, and would have zero problem prancing around in the grocery store drenched in Monsieur Lanvin, especially if it made all those lackadaisical nitwits filling the aisles move out of the way so I could get my weekend shopping done in time to enjoy the evening, but nobody ever said I was a nice guy so... I can't entirely recommend a context where this would be appropriate. Vintage collectors willing to shuck out the asking price to get a bottle will probably cherish it even more than me, because with the required investment, they ought to, but this idea would reappear in slightly tamed form a decade later thanks to Geoffrey Beene, and Grey Flannel still manages to divide everyone exposed to it, even without the civet, due to the fact that it's even drier than this beast. The aforementioned cusp Monsieur Lanvin sat within was a brief turning point in men's fragrance design where perfumers really didn't know where to go; some went more masculine with gasoline and aldehyde leather scents, others retreated back into powdery Victorian designs heavy on musk, while still others drove in greener aromatic directions, with a few period oddities like this containing some or all of the above ideas and straddling categories. I've seen sweet, powdery and leathery fougères, oddly green chypres, but this is the first men's chypre and floral combo I've encountered from this decade, and I can't say the idea really took off. Must have been an exciting time for perfumers, as there were few rules or conventions to follow besides "make it manly" which itself was not even easily definable at that stage. This is a very strange brew, going on classic and restrained, and slowly turning up the passion with florals and screaming civet before fading into quiet moss. Monsieur Lanvin: a Bohemian romance told in three parts.

Hemlock by Parfums Quartana

Well this is different. Not sure if this will get a neutral or thumbs up yet... First off this is for sure 100% warm vinyl records. Dang is it strong. Sloooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyyy other notes start to pop up here and there... florals and sweetness... leathery notes... patchouli... it's not so much a fragrance but an experience. For those who had or have vinyl records you will have a complete connection... Flash backs as a kid getting into my parents records... getting my first KISS Alive II vinyl when I was 7 years old... Just not sure I would wear this or when or to where... Vinyl record convention? Going with neutral but I think I like it... TRY BEFORE YOU BUY....

Lillipur by Tiziana Terenzi

A fragrance that starts awesome and ends with a meh... I like it... especially for the first two hours... to me the dry down is the usual contemporary patchouli, cedar, musk and tobacco. Don't get me wrong, the ingredients are top notch with out question IMO. I really like the star anise, galbanum and frankincense opening.. the middle is cinnamon, thyme and pepper. Overall a solid 4 out of 5... TRY BEFORE YOU BUY... the stuff is steep at least for myself. Otherwise... ENJOY!