Latest Perfume Reviews

Petit Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Petit Matin is a wonderful, fresh, fragrance that has a beautiful opening, and transitions from there into a beautiful dry down. There is a note that is more transparent here, but it reminds me of something I smell in Slumberhouse's Pear + Olive. As I said, this note is much more transparent in Petit Matin, and much more dense and syrupy in Pear + Olive, but it is still a similar note to my nose. Petit Matin is a joy to wear, and I want a bottle as soon as I may. Thumbs up for Petit Matin!

Mr. Burberry Eau de Parfum by Burberry

After the fruity-citrus, minty opening, smells like LIDG (not Extrême / Eau de Parfum) as it dries down. This phase lasts for 6-7 hours. Looks like they do share some similar main notes but instead of cocoa in LIDG the Burberry goes with cinnamon and amber. After that middle phase goes away, your left with just a soft, kinda dry amber scent.

Projection is average but it does last all workday on my skin.

Tone - Indéterminée by Zara

I have been testing fragrances for months and I have to say that Indeterminee is my very favorite out of all of the designer and celebrity fragrances I've tried. I just received it yesterday after finding only one supplier online. It is all I expected and more. The primary note for me is caramel, which I've been seeking in a fragrance. I find it exotic and addictive. I'm a person that most fragrances are far too weak on. I go with mostly men's fragrances or unisex because of that. Indeterminee is strong and long lasting. It's a minimum of 12hrs for me. I applied it late yesterday about 7p. It was still noticable by 7a. I so wish this had not been discontinued since I just learned about it. Because there has only been one supplier I've found online and his supply is running out, I have to try to find something comparable in this recent love. I purchased it because of rave reviews and for me, it's to live for!

Figment Man by Amouage

This sample came with my order of Imitation straight from Amouage. Floral citrus opening with a very cloacal note that I could barely tolerate. In that sense it reminded me of Gold for men, but not rosey. I hung in there as it was somewhat intriguing and incontrovertibly well-crafted. About 2 hours in it settled into the drydown which I found quite pleasant. However, there's no way I could sit through 2 hours to get to the drydown. Pass.

Imitation Man by Amouage

My initial impression is that certainly it opens with rose and dries down with a dry wood, projects well. Towards the end you get the vetiver and patchouli. Of all the narrative descriptions that I see with the Amouage line this one is far and away the most relevant (like, how in the world does Interlude for men have anything to do with that narrative??) Imitiation truly and exuberantly brings the 70's PARTAY with big hair and big fat soles and heels if not friggin' ROLLER DISCO SKATES; maybe add a big frilly tuxedo shirt worn by Tony Clifton hosting the Bay City Rollers Variety Hour (a Sid and Marty Krofft Production). Not even close to safe for work! This is Rick James, bitch.
10th July, 2018 (last edited: 11th July, 2018)

Lomani by Lomani

Everyone across the fragrance universe loves to call this the "cheap Drakkar Noir (1982) clone", "Drakkar Light", or sometimes even "Proto-Cool Water (1988)" because of it's ties to that aqueous scent's lightness, but in application it doesn't much resemble either of them. The problem with all the Drakkar Noir comparisons, is they do damage coming from a perspective of a person who hasn't sampled a lot of soapy citrus-forward fougères, which all arguably "smell like Drakkar Noir" when you take into account the bright bergamot opening countered with a sweet fruity or citrus note that they all share. Lemon, tangerine, or apple (depending on the fragrance) all balance the bergamot in fougères like this, creating that recognizable introduction; Creed Green Irish Tweed (1986) did this, then Houbigant Duc de Vervins (1986) and Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (1986), Lomani Pour Homme (1987), Sung Homme (1988), and even Cabaret de Gres Pour Homme (2004) over 20 years after Drakkar Noir launched. You can't sit there and tell me they're all clones of Drakkar Noir, even if I know some of you folks believe so, as it is just an example of a genre being formed in a scent's wake, with Drakkar Noir being the initial push. With all that said, it is true that Lomani Pour Homme does follow in the footsteps of Drakkar Noir in it's opening moments, but just like all the above fougères I named, takes it's own path. Lomani Pour Homme is a deep album cut of a scent, and not a chart-topping single of a fragrance like Drakkar Noir. The stuff housed in this very-80's angular bottle and jacked with enough colorant to stain a shirt will not impress most people, and hardly anyone outside of Europe or the Middle East (where the Parisian Lomani is oddly most popular) will have even heard of it. There's a lot of artistry and balance in this bottle, which is made all the better by how cheap this is to attain. The smell is certainly no revelation, but more respectable than it's price tag suggests.

The soapy-sweet opening that sends most hardcore died-in-the-wool Drakkar guys frothing into an outrage consists of lemon, tangerine, bergamot, and lavender. It's really unsurprising, and if you look up any of the clean fougères I compared it to, you'll see similar openings and I feel it leans far more green like Duc de Vervins than Drakkar, but that's my take away. There are only so many ways to catch a mouse here folks, especially in the tightly-defined fougère category, so just wait it out, and if you're a huge fan of soapy clean openings, you don't really need further convincing anyway. This highly-recognizable soapy lemon accord reminds me most of GIT or Bowling Green after a few moments have passed, as there is a bit of verbena attached to that lemon. The middle of vetiver simply pulls further in the green direction that draws associations to the aforementioned Geoffrey Beene scent, before coriander and dry patchouli (not the resinous headshop variety) start doing the talking on skin. Juniper is listed as a note in the middle, but I find there to be more of a geranium kick than anything, leading Lomani down a mid-century barbershop path, until the shockingly chypre-like base knocks me for a loop. I think this base is where more modern and mainstream noses cry foul with Lomani Pour Homme, claiming it to be thin, weak, unsatisfactory dreck imitating their beloved Drakkar Noir, because we're drawn in closer to an old "masculine citrus" chypre-like dry down that has sharp oakmoss, cedarwood, a very light civet dusting, and an incense note warming things up just a pinch without a heavy bass riff. Anyone who has smelled Monsieur de Givenchy (1959), Avon Tribute (1963), or Monsieur Lanvin (1964) already knows what I'm talking about here, except in Lomani Pour Homme, the "dirt" is dialed way down low so it doesn't contrast the soapy clean top and heart too much. Lomani Pour Homme goes on clean, and ends up a little warm and dirty at the end, which is usually the opposite of how these things work, making it all the more fascinating to me. It's not a powerful scent, but the spray head issues a lot of juice, telling me you're not meant to be conservative on it's use anyway (also like Monsieur de Givenchy). The woods in this can sometimes get a little raspy and nosehair-stinging, but that's the one nagging part of the scent's cheapness that I guess can't be avoided.

Lomani itself is a value brand owned by Parour Paris, a house that exists on the same level of EA Fragrances in the US, shipping out from labels they either made (like Lomani) or purchased (like Remy Latour) to sell in Duty-Free shops or discount big box retailers/drugstores throughout Europe and the Middle East. You're as likely to find a Lomani perfume there as you would a bottle of something Claiborne here in the states, with most Lomani scents floating between $10 and $20 USD at MSRP. Obviously, folks wanting words like "Haute" or "Maison" on their bottles should not still be reading this review, but in case you are, you might get a kick out of knowing that both Bollywood and Iranian celebrities have approached Lomani to make their signature lines for them, which is part of why the stuff sells by the bucket over there, since that brings Lomani some unanticipated local prestige in those markets. Folks in Lomani's home turf see this in the same way Americans saw Revlon products in decades past, as a cheap solid alternative to the big designer brands, so Lomani is pretty odd as an obscure French drugstore brand with larger-than-normal success in the Middle East. Bottom line here is that Lomani Pour Homme is still around for a reason, plus it's everywhere online and at sale prices often under $10 too, making it a no-brainer for anyone that want to stock up on an unabashedly 80's soapy lemon fougère that strays shy of being a powerhouse, but will still carry good longevity and can be used with abandon. I'd say this does the simple barbershop fougère vibe better than the smokier Drakkar Noir, but that will just infuriate it's fans more. The big degree of separation is where Lomani finishes compared to it's peers: it's only soapy and clean 80's in the beginning, then it becomes dry, forthright 1950's masculinity that simmers down to an oakmoss and earthy incense glow on skin. The freshness of the opening pulls a "now you see me, now you don't" which confuses people, but for me it's one of the scent's strongest quirks, as it really is rather linear outside of that huge pendulum swing. Office and casual use recommended, and surprisingly good in heat, this "Undrakkar Notnoir" is ironically more versatile than it's oft-compared older cousin, and thus suitable for daily work use.
10th July, 2018 (last edited: 11th July, 2018)
Oviatt Show all reviews

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Pino Silvestre came as a surprise to me. I have seen it for years and assumed that I must have smelled it on men in Italy on visits there. When I finally bought a bottle-blind-it surprised me that it was not as pine-focused as the name, reputation and marketing might suggest and that it rang no olfactory bells. It just did not smell familiar in the way that other widely worn fragrances smell in their home countries (Tabac, for example).

What I got was a strong clove note right at the start-a real dentist's office smell. Then there were herbs as only the Italians can do them (R de Capucci, I am looking at you) and finally whole pencils-the wood, the eraser, the graphite/lead. Lurking in the background is a pine note and it is good that it is not so strong that it brings Pinesol and other cleaning supplies to mind but where, I wondered, were the larmes de pin the marketing copy promised? Where was any reference to sunny Italy? I was expecting Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" (even though I know this hails from Venice) in a pinecone shaped bottle and instead got a school satchel left in a dentist's waiting room.

Wearing it now for a few days has allowed it to grow on me-the dry herbs, cedar pencils and faint pine note are actually very nice, dry and masculine. It does well in the summer heat and will also be a great scent for fall and beyond. Wearing it yesterday, I was smelling it on myself and all of a sudden had a vivid flashback to a time when, as a student, I was stranded in the train station in Turin (don't ask). I sat there for hours watching-and smelling-the humanity going by and sure enough, I remember the smell of Pino Silvestre in the air. One of the smells of Italy after all.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

Received a bottle of vintage MY SIN and ARPÈGE, both in the "Eau de Lanvin" strengths, essentially a strong eau-de-toilette. I can't help comparing them, as they are "siblings" from the same era, and share some DNA.
As another Fragrantica reviewer has correctly observed, they are Yin and Yang to each other, the way Piguet's FRACAS is to BANDIT, Guerlain's L'HEURE BLEUE is to SHALIMAR. ARPÈGE is "solar", or "Appolonian" while MY SIN is "lunar" and "Dionysian". Both are products of the grand era of French perfumery, of the first half of the 20thc.
MY SIN has heavy-lidded, nocturnal flowers as her starring characters, rooted, as we know, in a pronounced musk base of civet, ambergris and costus root. ARPÈGE is brighter, more "golden" to MY SIN's "deep violet-blue". ARPÈGE is definitely more balsamic, and I detect not only benzoin, but tolu balsam and quite possibly myrrh and opoponax; perhaps it is the tolu that imbues ARPÈGE with a certain fleeting spicy nigh-cinnamon quality, certainly given edge by a pleasingly bitter coriander. ARPÈGE is more "cheering" and "society chic" where MY SIN is more seductive, somewhat "glowering", and she has her eyes firmly set on the boudoir, not the ballroom. In fact, ARPÈGE even seems to have a slight "smoking cigarette" hint.
ARPEGE is woodier, and her powderiness is somewhat drier, more stimulating than MY SIN's moonlit floral brew. ARPÈGE definitely possesses more citrus rinds... not only bergamot, but possibly lime and grapefruit, giving her a more tart, "thirst-quenching" cocktail quality. Her stone fruit hint is subtle and fresh, while MY SIN's is ripe to nearly rotting.
Both are undeniably great aldehydics of yore, and it's that sensuous éclat, no doubt softened by the old nitro-musks, that gives them a decided "oldschool" French quality, which, to an untrained nose, may smell "old-ladyish" or even possibly "Hollywood melodramatic", but connoisseurs know this old quality is to be treasured and admired, not dismissed.
Typical of early 20thc perfumery, both perfumes are seamlessly blended... no notes stand out at all, but the whole thing merges into a distinctive whole, greater than the sum of its parts. Where modern perfumes, with their surfeit of synthetic and trendy aromachemicals, are like a sharp (and somewhat unchanging) 1080p digital photograph,
these oldschool perfumes are more like an Impressionistic watercolor, with soft, indistinct edges. That is their beauty, not their liability.
Because these earlier numbers contained a hefty proportion of natural essences, they naturally degrade in different styles and rates than modern perfumes will tend to do, even when kept in the best cool environs. You may buy 3 vintage MY SINs or ARPÈGEs off eBay, and they all will smell quite noticeably different. I have 2 ARPEGEs here, and two MY SINs, all with unknown provenance but purchased from independent sellers on eBay: They are all different: one will have a striking freesia and ylang-ylang takeoff, where, in its homologue, those notes are only hinted at. One MY SIN will contain dramatic-- and undeniably authentic-- animalics starring, with their not-unpleasant purring fetor undergirding the floralcy; another MY SIN will read as a more linear aldehydic, another MY SIN will read as a more linear aldehydic, a brilliant holiday postcard, say, from the darker-smelling juice. But this is all par-for-the-course when buying vintage from eBay... You can never be sure what you're going to get.
In ARPÈGE, the dry sandalwood seems to be a prominent, character-defining middle-note; in MY SIN, the sandalwood smells more incensey, and is proffered as a supporting basenote, married to styrax for a leathery rub.
Some have compared MY SIN and ARPÈGE to Chanel NO. 5, but they are similar only in that they are all oldschool aldehydics... there the similarity ends; of the three, NO.5 is the most unapologetically synthetic and brilliant... shiny and cellophane-like, just as Coco Chanel prescribed. The Lanvins definitely have deeper complexities afoot.

All my Lanvins are glorious, though, and hearken to an era of elegance now long-gone. The time is soon approaching, I suspect, in which there will be no senior citizens around who will be able to identify these grand old numbers on your neck.

Eau Sacrée by Heeley

If you were to pick up a beautiful fabric, say for a tailored suit, the luxury of it would strike you immediately. That is how it is with Eau Sacrée. Supreme quality ingredients in balance with good longevity. The last thing to note in this review is that the fragrance has a distinct character and that's really the only determination left to you because everything else about this is best foot forward with no uncertainty about it. On the subject of character of the fragrance, there is a distinct identity to the wearer of this. I agree with the reviewer who likened it to monastic order. Try some. Ask yourself: there's a person here, is he the person I wish to be?

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens

I wanted to love it, but sadly, I don't. It starts really sweet like a cinnamon-raisin cookie, which is directly up my fragrance alley. When it dries down, it smells awful to me. It's a very dry, dusty powder aroma. The cocoa and patchouli notes are definitely present, but don't do enough to salvage the juice. I found this one off-putting enough that I had to scrub my arms.

St. Kitts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Mainstream and Gulf Stream
Like a bank branch office on
Some lovely island.

Yet pays nice homage
To old Tommy Bahama's
Classic gentle warmth.

Land, conquistador!
You think you conquer it, but
It will conquer you.

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos

I really like this cologne. I went through a 4.2 of Artisan and its longevity problems drove me not to buy another. But I'm fond of the creativity that comes out of House Varvatos so I bought this one blind.

Seriously. This fragrance is marvelous. It has a bright and bitter citrus opening that reminds me of neroli but is noticeably different.

In the drydown I find a deep, woody note and a jasmine note that delicately dance with one another without overpowering one another.

The notes listed on Varvatos fragrances always make me laugh; there are far too many to count, and they always seem really embellished. I feel like I'm looking at a brunch menu.

Here's what you need to know: it smells good, it's somehow both a fresh aquatic and a complex and masculine oriental.

I'm in my office wearing chinos, a chambray, and a pair of beaten leather shoes. And I'm wearing this. It's a great pairing. I get a good 5-6 hours out of it which, for a Varvatos fragrance, is outstanding. Objectively? It's OK.

You can wear this to the beach, on a date, on casual Friday. Avoid wearing it with a suit. There are better fragrances to choose for close encounters.

Scent: 8/10

Longevity: 5/10

Sillage: 6/10

Fate Woman by Amouage

Sampled after reading the five star review in the latest edition of the Guide. I can see the similarity of old style Guerlain in the opening of bergamot and I think the hint of pepper gives a even more classic oriental feeling. It's loud from start to finish.
As it develops you can identify different notes more or less strongly, but all in all it is a smooth, luxurious and heavy affair. Standing out are the bergamot, leather, benzoin vanilla and pepper with the bergamot fading fast.
I'll sample this more and consider buying a bottle before it is muted down in reformulations.

Can still wear it to some dinners though, just maybe use in moderation and try to wear it close to the skin if possible.

Unsettled by Bruno Fazzolari

Bruno Fazzolari Unsettled, while being an intriguing mix that doesn't seem to belong in any genre initially, is dominated by the black tea note that soothes and provides a cooling, semi-acidic, semi-fresh comfort.

Pineapple and bergamot add fresshness while clary sage provides just a hint of dirtiness, and the dry down of sandalwood, vanilla, and labdanum is a creamy pillow on which the rest lands in its base.

It's a fresher tea experience than Imaginary Authors O Unknown but not as fresh as, say, Creed Silver Mountain Water.

Performance is average, probably leaves a little to be desired for the price point ($110 for 30ml) but certainly lovers of this scent will find the performance sufficient. It's an interesting scent, but like Fontevraud, I'm not quite sure it's for me, personally.

7 out of 10

Guess Seductive Homme Blue by Guess

I own both Nautica Voyage and Cool Water and can say that this fragrance does more than just hold it's own. It had a smooth yet punchy scent that almost seem to have a sweet tobacco smell to it in the dry down.

If you want something different from all the other aquatic fragrances on the market then, please give this a try. The price point allows you to take a chance without a major financial commitment.

It is different enough to get you a few compliments while you go through your day. It does not last very long however, the price point give you the opportunity to reapply when needed as replacing your bottle is very cheap to do.

Cool Water Wave by Davidoff

Well, the haute noses are complaining it's forgettable but I'd say it's a kind of forgettable I like. Dry as in wine, very dry in fact, but that's good in an aquatic in my opinion: overly luscious/fruity notes in combination with aquatics always scream "cheap celebrity feminine" to me and this if nothing else lifts itself above that. It also manages to be dry (and summery) without relying on vetiver, which is a note my skin has serious, pyramid-destroying issues with, so it's winning extra points for that as well.

I recall hating the original CW back in the days before my nose had any experience, but since Darvant describes it as being sweeter than Wave I may have been right about that much. It is indeed nothing particularly different, but it does its job - of being a casual, wearable summer fragrance - very well indeed.

Deep Purple by Pell Wall Perfumes

Very green, minty, dark in a way, I suppose thanks to the violet leaf which is dominating the opening. But one hour in and this changes to a soft flowery scent which is lingering just above the skin. I am not fond of how this is composed.

Zion by Alexandria Fragrances

Does smell very similar to Elysium Pour Homme Parfum Cologne by Roja Dove.

After the opening, it dies down quickly, losing some of the top-end "sparkle" and does not project as much as Elysium but it still retains much of what Elysium is and smells very good to me.

This actually does have excellent longevity, specifically because it projects the entire time. I get 8-10 hours of good projection. Very surprised at how good the performance turned out for Zion while the Dua frag Supernova did not perform near as well.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Classic and not dated.

The question maybe, why don't I yet own a bottle of this??

This is Sharp on the opening, elegant, classy and very versatile and wareable, very safe scent to ware out and about or even a daily work scent.

I smell after an hour a soapy clean Vetiver, with a little touch of neroli. And that is what is appealing to me.
My collection consists mainly of Dark Ouds, and strong heavy incense offerings.... So this would be a complete oposite to my Frag wardrobe.

This is now on my radar... See how long I can resist temptation. Lol

Polo Blue Eau de Parfum by Ralph Lauren

Tried this on my skin in store for the second time.
Nice clean smooth.
Blue.... Yes it suits the blue line of scents, I'm thinking this is a solid release, although it isn't groundbreaking but it is worth trying or looking into.

But I'm swaying more to Dylan Blue, I think that has more depth.
Still undecided, however polo is decent.

Life by Nautica

This absolutely sucks. When people say generic, I think they exaggerate a bit.. However this is legit the definition of generic, and for good reason why it's going for around $9 shipped a bottle online. i thought maybe after a couple years, nobody speaking about it, maybe it's a hidden gem. I went ahead and bought a bottle.

Wow.. it's not only so generic, but so poorly done. Bergamot, lavender, and some herbals. Nothing salty, nothing oceanic, nothing anything reminiscent of the beach, the ocean, the boardwalk, the sea. Kinda smells like a really flat version of Nautica Aqua Rush.. which was already bad, but is a bombshell compared to this crap!

I always put Nautica in the same realm with Tommy and Ralph Lauren. Those 2 have really upped their game in fragrances, but Nautica is still making the same crap. There has been maybe 1 or 2 bottle worthy fragrances from this house in the whole 25 years they've been making men's frags.

Nautica.. seriously.. step up your damn game or stop making frags!! There's a reason they all flop and go direct to discount bins, even your best seller Voyage is pretty bad.

Grapefruit Lime by The 7 Virtues

A bang and a whimper

The opening for Grapefruit Lime begins with a burst of juicy grapefruit that is quite nice. However, after about an hour, the hespiridic notes fade away, leaving a more generic and unremarkable feminine combination of musk and abstract florals. Suitable for a mild-mannered teenaged girl.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

Passable enough. Was gifted a small bottle and used it here and there for variety but probably wouldn't buy it.

Gucci Guilty Black pour Homme by Gucci

Simple and enjoyable. No surprises here.

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

Used to own and probably will again. Nice easygoing scent for work.

cK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Nothing special but a good little number to throw on for doing nothing important. Pleasant and light.
10th July, 2018 (last edited: 09th July, 2018)

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

My first scent. Started using it because its what my old man had so i used to steal a spray here and there and liked it. Light and fresh. Only wish it had a bit more longevity and sillage.

Vetiver Elemi by The 7 Virtues

Dirty pretty vetiver

Vetiver Elemi was a pleasant surprize. On paper, it smells like a luminous, citrusy-clean vetiver. However, the second I sprayed VE to my skin, an unexpected dirty cumin note burst through that bright opening. It's briefly reminiscent of body odour but then shifts into L'Artisan P Timbuktu territory.

As the scent dries down, the cumin recedes into the background, blending into the vetiver which develops a grassy, earthy and slightly smoky character. Prettier, faint and abstract florals and woods also soften up the scent. Lasts roughly four hours before drying down to a cleaner, woodsy skin scent.

Gentle enough for the office without being boring, very affordably priced, and manufactured without animal products, parabens and the like. Recommended to vetiver fans unless you don’t do well with cumin.

Wave for Him by Hollister

These fragrances are built around top notes, made to please, and often have nothing else to offer after the first 10 minutes, with the exception of So Cal, A&F Fierce, and First Instinct.

Opening is kinda reminiscent of 50 Cent Power, but more aquatic.

Wave has a great fruity opening, very fruity, I get sort of a green grape note that I rather like. Within 20 minutes I'm left with pretty much nothing but lavender. I will say, lavender here is done well, it's spot on. But at the same time.. I don't wanna smell like pure lavender.

Eau de Prep by Tommy Hilfiger

One of the best grapefruit openings I've smelled in a long time. It's a little on the sweet side, making it not so natural smelling, but at the same time, it does possess and authentic grapefruit smell, not like candy or anything.

After 5 minutes it sweetens up, and I lose interest.. but wait.. then something magical happens. It suddenly becomes green, with a splash of patchouli. The patchouli in this (although not a listed note) is similar to that in A*Men Pure Shot/Energy. A very clean smelling patchouli.

I think it's a perfect signature fragrance. Might even throw some people off into thinking it's a high end niche fragrance. Nothing too special, aside from the amazing grapefruit up top, it's still not a fragrance that hasn't been done 100 times already. I just think this one may be notably better than all its predecessors.