nofixedstars's avatar
    nofixedstars

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

Eau de Shalimar is pretty much exactly what one might expect from its name and look...a lighter, more "modern" or "fresher"---i.e., less animalic, less dense---variant of the classic Shalimar. No, it's not the same; but then, it's not meant to be. Yes, it is true to the scent profile of the original, in a way that many flanker scents are not. While I infinitely prefer the incredible richness and polish of the original, I also enjoy using Eau de Shalimar as well. It's crisper and yes, lighter, but far from insipid, and on me it wears very true to the original formula, by which I mean that it's recognizably Shalimar...I don't at all get the pronounced lime note listed and reported by others, nor does the vanilla dominate. For people who find some scents too heavy in warm weather (not a problem for me) or who wish they could wear their Shali to the office but feel they need a lighter approach, this could serve very well. Likewise, for those who have tried the classic version and found it too heavy for their preferences or too "old", this could likewise likewise suit them better. Although I'm generally not a fan of companies tinkering with a classic just for novelty or dialing one back to appease a trend for the lighter side of perfume, I've found that all the incarnations of Shalimar have a place, and all are reasonably faithful to the original which is deservedly timeless.

10th November, 2011