Blue Zinnia's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I AM ABSOLUTELY CRAZY ABOUT THIS STUFF. Since I'm out of Shalimar right now, it's my favorite scent I own.

Yes, Angel tends to be a love-it-or-hate-it topic; that's because the fragrance is so very original. Olivier Cresp (TM's perfumer, who built Angel) clearly has a yard of guts, and so do the folks chez Thierry Mugler; I'm told Angel just didn't sell for the first two years, but they kept making it and let it find its audience.

And, boy, does this fragrance "work" on me! I love fragrances with strong and unexpected contrasts between the top and bottom notes, and some light and space in the middle; Mark's White Vetiver does this rather badly and Fergie's Outspoken Intense does it pretty well, but Angel is the mack momma of this style. All that bright soft sweetness up top and then that BIG patchouli note underneath. . .I'm just gone on the stuff. I'll wear the men's version when I can get a dab of it, too, though I haven't worn it enough to talk about it intelligently.

20th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)