hoschhti's avatar

Germany Germany

Messe de Minuit by Etro

A bunch of positive reviews on the internet made me curious to try "Messe de Minuit" (Midnight Mass), so I ordered a sample. Seriously, after sampling so many fragrances this is for me the biggest disappointment in perfumery so far! This perfume is a bad joke! Judged by the name I expected something dark and gothic and so on, but what I smelled was this bright and screaming, overly sweet synthetic mess (not mass) of a perfume. Even "Eau de gentiane blanche" from Hermes is more "minuit" than this one. The mixture of orange, vanilla and cinnamon with some hardly detectable incense in the background smells so cheap and vulgar, it is beyond my imagination how a serious perfume-addict can like this. Well, maybe little girls who dress up as witches on Halloween and want to smell a little bit "spooky" might like it, but no one else! I don't know if the ingredients are inferior or the formula is just bad - or maybe both? There are other perfumes that are not my cup of tea, but I do understand why others might appreciate them. In this case - like I said - I don't. I sampled the current EdT-Version. Could be that the older EdC-Version is better, but I doubt it. To make the disaster perfect it gave me terrible headaches everytime I tested it. I desperately tried to find something positive and I finally did: "Messe de Minuit" (Midnight Mass) - at least I really like the name of the perfume! Unfortunately the "churchy" name didn't protect this stuff from being totally messed up by the devil!

09th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2011)