rogalal's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

I suppose we've all heard by now that there really isn't an essential fig smell (figs don't really have much of a smell until they're cooked into jam or something), so fig perfumes are almost always made with a mix of coconut and tarragon, which actually does a good job of emulating figs. Fico di Amalfi is no exception, but it avoids the I-don't-want-to-smell-like-coconut trap by pairing its fig mixture with a huge overdose of citrus, a bright juicy concoction that calls to mind oranges mixed with grapefruit, with hints of pineapple and peach poking through, too. As such, Fico di Amalfi is bright and summery and refreshing - sweet but juicy and puckery enough to not feel too immature.

By the base, it comes down to a subtle mix of tarragon and tea-smelling bay leaves over a subtle creamy sweetness that calls to mind fig sap, with just a touch of petitgrain to give some continuity to the citrus topnotes and lend a touch of woody depth.

Fico di Amalfi is my personal favorite fig scent, but that mostly because I'm a sucker for juicy citruses and I don't care much for plainer fig perfumes, but I do think it's a nice one, perhaps a fig scent for people who don't like fig scents.

05 December, 2011