Oproust's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men has such a reputation as a love it or hate it fragrance that I assumed the worst and never bothered to try it. I came to A*Men via Pure Havane, which I bought on a whim. The SA threw a few samples of A*Men in the bag. I love Pure Havane and decided to give the leader of the pack, A*Men, a try. Wow! The opening blast of citrus, helional, lavender and peppermint told me straight away that this ain't no Pure Havane. Just as I was about to say, "What the hell have I sprayed on my defenseless wrist?", the coffee and tar mid notes began to emerge, making for a strange but intriguing citrus/lavender/coffee accord. As the basenotes emerged from somewhere deep within that goofy star on the front of the bottle, I was taken by the rich chocolate and coffee accord, infused with silky caramel; the exact opposite of the vibe I get from Derby, Aramis, etc. Sometimes, a man just needs a little coffee and chocolate in his life. Sometimes not. As I write this review, a light spritz of A*Men bubbles on my skin, while my neighbor shuts his windows and my spooked, anosmic cat runs out the front door. Like I said, it's a love it or leave it fragrance.

02 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2011)