Dernier_Cri's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is one of those cases where I'm always a little disappointed that I can't get on board with the rest of what seems to be a rather large contigent of Vetiver Extraordinaire admirers. It might be such fun to be a part of that crowd I keep thinking. The late night soirees. The laughter. Ohhh the raucous laughter. The contentment. But I can't. I'm resigned to be always looking in through the party train window my nose pressed up against the glass thinking, "Why do I have to dislike this stuff so much?" Smells kind of nice at first. Crisp. A little smoky. Something green. An almost unoffending aquatic quality. This to me is NOT some big earthy trip to Rootdom.
    Not unpleasent. But as it progresses (or doesn't) it seems to lose what little smokiness it started with and leaves behind something that to me ends up smelling like nothing so much as the smell of a dental office. There's that mild rubbery smell overlaid with perfume. Like the plaster an orthodontist uses to make an impression or some adhesive. The smell of dental materials made to be more pleasent smelling with the addition of fragrance. Not unpleasent. But this is one I'm always happier with when it's gone. Kind of like leaving the dental office.

15th December, 2011