Dernier_Cri's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I have trouble with fragrances with prominent leather notes. One I don't really like to smell leather on myself. And two when I detect a leather note in a fragrance it distracts me from appreciating any other note that might be in there. Oftentimes all I can smell is leather, the other notes merely modulating the leather note to some (to my nose) insignificant degree. A notable exception to my leather phobia is Chanel Sycomore which upon sampling it always calls to my mind words and phrases like "refined", "elegant", "finely crafted" and "smells expensive." This leather scent is bright and evocative. The opening is beautifully smokey and though the smoke lessens as Sycomore dries down it never goes away completely. Like Annick Goutal Vetiver this is a leathery scent I prefer to smell on a woman than on myself. Sycomore is the more feminine fragrance and is marketed as such. AG Vetiver sometimes strikes me as a little sausage-y. If I were ever to wear a leather scent Sycomore would be it.

17 December, 2011