Fleurine's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

top: basil, jasmine, and citrus
    heart: armoise, sage, spearmint, vetiver, and rose
    base: patchouli, moss, and amber

I'm making my way through a set of Estee Lauder minis and it seems each is more fascinating than the one before. I'm now up to Azuree, and I can't believe how much I am enjoying this complex herbal citrus concoction.
    Azuree is a wonderful sparkling green aldehyde-laden chypre launched in 1969, and she shares some DNA with several of her bell-bottomed siblings like Alliage, Cabochard, No. 19, Diorella and Miss Dior. There is a familiar bitterness in the opening, although in Azuree, this is also clean and citrusy, very smooth, and rather subdued. An interesting addition in this fragrance, are the herbal notes of sage and basil, as well as the earthy, herbal absinthe (armoise). To me, the base is a rather austere, oak moss, and vetiver. Just lovely.
    I have seen many reviews reference the Mediteranean beach, for which this fragrance is named, and in it's complexity, Azuree does evoke a cloudy but warm coastal spot, with a flourishing herb patch of basil, mint and sage, of a sleepy walled-garden with flowering orange trees, and cool moss climbing an old stone wall. Transformative.

21st January, 2012