autumngleeman's avatar

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

Finally, a Penhaligon fragrance I like. I was about to dismiss this one too but then the drydown came. the rose is a unique strain in my experience. It combines with incense and aromatic woods in the drydown. There is no aquatic note, but when i wear it, every time i catch a smell of it as I am doing things it gives me the sensation of being watery. It's either something in the rose (which is kind of hard to describe) or it's the light incense. Whatever it is, it is a very agreeable sensation. It's a light fragrance (not at all heavy like many incense fragrances can be). Something like this is how I imagine my favorite protagonist-gentlemen of nineteenth century English literature to have smelled like. refined and understated of course. The notes might not seem interesting or new, but the sum is greater than the parts with regard to Opus 1870. It has really good longevity surprisingly for what it is. This is one of the best and unique rose cyphres that I have come across. I'm happy I gave Penhaligon one more chance to impress me.

25 January, 2012