Redbeard's avatar

Vétiver by Creed

The unsung vetiver: everyone mourns its passing but it always seems strange to me. Initially it makes me think of Mugler Cologne or Original Vetiver with added soft florals and a cold slab of stone underneath. The florals (rose?) soon start to compete more seriously with the granite slab, and I feel like the green component from that south Indian grassy plant (what's that stuff called again?) gets forgotten about in the fray. It doesn't have the smoothness or moistness of a Gendarme scent, but the inclusion of very clean florals reminds me a bit of that line. I'm not sure what it's trying to accomplish at this point, but being vetivery doesn't seem high on the list. By the late mid notes, the florals have somehow been replaced with leafy herbs, so at least we've returned to the green territory that I was expecting, but it's just too resinous and not grassy enough. Still, it's a perfectly usable green scent as long as you don't need it to smell like the legions of vetiver-specific fragrances.

04th February, 2012