alfarom's avatar

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I blind bought a 125ml bottle of Ferre For Man just because a very good friend of mine (did I say Lana Lool?) was absolutely enthusiastic about this fragrance and as I hold in high regard this man (for his countless values) I went for this purchase with no hesitation.

I've to admit it took for me a while to fully appreciate this composition as the opening notes (mainly bergamot and lavender) are not among the best examples of a "catchy opening". They're kind of edgy and too acidic but fortunately they quickly evolve into an amazing fougère made of woods, leather, tobacco, vetiver and floral patterns. Elegant, extremely complex and refined but absolutely not affected as it gathers together more than a single aspect of the 80's powerhouse style. Don't get me wrong, Ferre For Man is not as powerful/overwhelming as many other fragrances of the same genre but, just for that, it can represent a terrific alternative for anyone who's in the mood for a lighter fougere which still shows a considerable amount of testosterone.

As a matter of fact, Ferre For Man rapidly became one of my favourite fragrance in the vintage designer's range being a fantastic example of a complex masculine. Great lasting power, good sillage, remarkable personality. Quality stuff. A great all-rounder, an all time favourite.

16 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2012)