The_Cologneist's avatar

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I guess poor marketing put this one on the discontinued shelf, as with many PS fragrances. But I'm with Olfactory all the way on this. This and excellent masculine, slightly floral scent. Good all year round, but amazing in the fall and winter.

I'm not a big iris fan, and I know the iris note, and the lipstick like smell it carries with it. PSM doesn't bring that at all. The iris is pretty dominant, but the reason I say "slightly floral" is because it doesn't bring that typical "girly" smelling iris to the table. Instead, you get this dirty iris, backed by patchouli, incense, sandalwood, and cedar (or possibly Iso E). But to my nose, I mostly get iris and cedar. I pick up some citrus notes up top, probably bergamot, as it is a top note master in many fragrances. While in the base I pick up a little of a creaminess from the tonka bean, and my favorite floral note - violet. Not every day do I find violet in the base notes, but here I do. Projection is pretty good for the first 2 or 3 hours, but dies down after. It lasts a good 6-8 hours on a good day, but can be temperamental and last far less.

I'll be biased here, I freakin' love this stuff. I have owned well over 3-400 fragrances, and tried hundreds more. This one is in my top 10. Although I can see where this could offend some people. Don't knock it till ya try it... or do! More for me this way. PSM personifies a modern, masculine, floral; which is something I've been dying to find for years. This has replaced my baby Fahrenheit, and become my new signature scent.

05 March, 2012