blood-orange's avatar

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

Encens Flamboyant is supposed to be the most incensey fragrance in the series, however I'm not feeling it.

This fragrance is much more subtle than Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fetiche. Despite its lack of incensey goodness, this fragrance makes up for it with its unique blend of pepper, woods and smoke.

I totally get the 'Christmassy' feel that some reviewers have pointed out. The combination of spice and fir, is like scent recognition for me, it's Christmas in December all over again with every sniff.

In some ways, Encens Flamboyant is musty, but not in a bad way. Its mustiness is what adds to its mystery, like an old, forgotten room, locked up for decades.

Encens Flamboyant often strikes me as being an aromatic, as I sometimes find myself dazing off into space when I casually smell it every now and then.

Although I do find this fragrance unisex, I'm more likely to recommend this fragrance to men more than women, however I haven't managed to pin-point what makes this fragrance more masculine than feminine to my nose.

Being mostly dry, yet occasionally musty and damp, Encens Flamboyant is a very unique fragrance indeed. It is certainly worth checking out, even if you don't think it would be your type of scent. These Les Orientalistes fragrances are masterpieces that will hopefully be sold for many years to come.

22 March, 2012