blood-orange's avatar

Guilty by Gucci

Although I hate to say it, I find this fragrance one of the most overrated and over-promoted perfume releases of this year. To be honest, not many of Gucci's female fragrances have managed to impress me, (with Envy Me 2 being the only exception). I had some hope for Guilty, however I find it very bland.

I have no doubt that it will sell well, especially over this Christmas period, but it doesn't strike me as something that those 'naughty girls' or those particularly daring would choose to wear.

To my nose it's mostly sparkling fruits with a touch of spicy pink pepper. It has a pineapple juice quality that turns me off a little, although it's not acidic like pineapple in fragrances often are.

It's pleasant enough, yet incredibly boring, leaving me longing for something with much more depth. Where is that beautiful, earthy and green patchouli note that I so constantly crave in scents these days? There is so much missing from Guilty's composition.

It took me a while to be able to smell this fragrance seeming that it opens so subtly on the skin. It doesn't have much in the way of sillage I'm afraid, nor is the lasting power that of an impressive nature.

The name and the shiny gold bottle just doesn't seem befitting to this scent. It's misleading in the way it has been marketed as something elegant and formal, when it is in fact rather casual. It reminds me a little of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle EDT.

There's not much else I can possibly add to this review. I'm disappointed and truly underwhelmed. It's predictable but pleasant nonetheless.

24 March, 2012