The_Cologneist's avatar

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

Oh how much ones nose can change. The first time I smelled this it smelled like watermelon and cucumber. A generic fresh aquatic. I questioned myself, did I smell this? Or maybe it was Tommy 10?

Regardless, I am glad I picked this guy up. At Walmart for 20 bucks I got a 2 pack of 1 oz bottles -- True Star and Tommy. Tommy is a high school classic scent to me. True Star is different, and along with Tommy, it's very unique for a designer fragrance.

The TH house doesn't get much attention, but this fragrance deserves it. It's niche-like. It's very woodsy yet also very aquatic. The "wet notes" are definitley there. The top is a combination of woods and anise. Or perhaps it's licorice. I'd say anise though, since it smells more vegetable like, and dirty. Result: mulch. Yes it smells like freshly chipped mulch. It stays pretty linear, with the combo of mulch and wet notes. A nice sharper cedar or sandalwood comes in in the dry down.

An excellent modern woodsy scent. Great bang for the buck. Niche quality. I would love to know the perfumer behind this one, because he/she/they knocked this one out of the ball park.

27th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2012)