srmd22's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Very nice notes, very similar to Encre Noir, which I like. For some reason the sillage and longevity were unimpressive the first time I sampled this, but this last time they were quite good! Maybe it was scent fatigue the first time. Anyway, that's why I am revising to thumbs up. I don't know if I will buy a bottle, probably not, as it is too similar to Encre Noir on my skin, and I already have a bottle of the latter. Otherwise, I would, and when/if the EN ever runs out, I will probably go for the Sycomore.

Edit: Just want to add a couple of observations after another wearing. More floral/powdery then Encre Noir, which I think is an improvement. It shares a smoky, inky aspect, which is very well done in both versions. Also, more subtle, I think you need to be more liberal with the amount/# sprays-- or it might be that I am less sensitive to this fragrance. It seems a very close skin scent on me after an hour or two, and even right after spraying, the sillage seems modest on my skin. This is not a minus for me, as I want a few more refined, subtle scents in my wardrobe. I would re-apply this after work if I wanted it to last through a dinner or evening out, but it lasts well into the work day for me.

I think it is well worth the price, just a lovely scent, and is now my favorite vetiver, though I still really like several others, particularly Tom Ford, Guerlain and Givenchy.

29 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2012)