drseid's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

After being completely amazed at the brilliance of Patou pour Homme Prive, I decided to throw caution to the wind and bought a bottle of Patou pour Homme at the extremely inflated eBay prices...

Patou pour Homme opens with a big blast of lavender, tarragon and clary sage. Similar to Prive, the lavender in Patou pour Homme is one of the rare few that I actually enjoy. Moving to the heart notes, I get a lot of fir and vetiver, but only hints of patchouli and geranium with some of the leather from the base notes peeping through. Finally, the ever so slightly animallic base is loaded with oakmoss, coupled with a good dose of sandalwood and that leather accord I noticed earlier. Patou pour Homme has excellent strength and longevity with average sillage.

I have to admit that while I love Patou pour Homme and don't regret the blind buy one iota, I am not quite as enamored with it as I was with its sister scent released 10+ years later, Prive. I find Patou pour Homme to be more formal and less versatile of the two, kind of loosely reminding me of vintage Derby by Guerlain (not a bad thing to be sure). I am happy to have it in my collection, but would probably have just bought a large decant at today's prices if I could do it all over, spending the savings on a backup bottle of Prive. Don't shoot me, but I give Patou pour Homme an excellent 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5. Superb, just not quite "the best" to my nose, at least. Another winner from genius nose Jean Kerleo!

12th April, 2012