blood-orange's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

I happened to be browsing in a perfume boutique the other day, searching for ideas for a fragrance for my boyfriend. I had begun to complain to the sales assistant about his smoking habit interfering with anything perfume-wise, when she recommended LP No.9 for Men.

The moment I smelt this, I understood why she introduced it to me. This fragrance is all about the spices and it actually smells like something a bad-boy smoker in a leather jacket would wear.

Forget all that love potion nonsense, this is rough, manly and sexy. I hesitated to buy this for my man because I was afraid that every woman in sight would want to jump him if he wore this in public.

The cloves, geranium, pepper, orange and nutmeg are quite prominent throughout the composition, although there is a hint of sweetness every now and then, possibly brought about by the cinnamon, and what could be vanilla.

The spices in LP No.9 for Men are more animalistic than exotic. Don't expect a spice bazaar in this particular fragrance. By the drydown I can almost detect a hint of caramel, so there are sweet aspects to this as well.

Unfortunately the lasting power isn't all that wonderful, tending to vanish after six hours into almost nothing. I would love it if this were more intense and lasting. Yet overall, I am quite impressed, with this fragrance being a great introduction to the house of Penhaligon's.

14th April, 2012