blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Eau des Merveilles kept me intrigued for years as I could never manage to find a tester bottle. I worked this fragrance up in my mind to be something utterly spectacular, a masterpiece and a modern classic. Well, I like this fragrance, I really do, but it's not something that struck me down like lightning.

It's essentially dry, warm and strangely crisp, lemon and orange on a woodsy and peppery base. Very unusual I must say, but also something that relies on the right skin chemistry to make it work.

I'd love to layer this scent over another fragrance, because on its own I feel like it's missing something. It reminds me of the beach and scorching hot Summer weather, yet I crave a subtle hint of floral notes or a touch of sweetness to make it that little more complex and feminine.

I can certainly understand why men would want to wear this. Honestly, it has a very unisex feel. Whenever I smell Eau des Merveilles I am impressed, but I can't help wishing that this fragrance was a little more outrageous. The bottle makes me think of the solar system, a world so different from our own and I guess I wanted Eau des Merveilles to reflect that.

The sillage is quite good, yet nowhere near being a heavy hitter. I'm rather glad because the peppery orange on its own is a little harsh in its already rather subtle concentration. The longevity is so-so, not incredibly long lasting but sufficient to say the least.

All in all, Eau des Merveilles is certainly unique and one of a kind. The dryness and saltiness in this fragrance is quite lovable, however my only issue is that it tends to be more masculine than feminine to my nose.

20th April, 2012