jtd's avatar

Intrigant Patchouli 08 by Parfumerie Generale

I wanted to like this perfume so much. It seems to be one that captures the perfumery equivalent of that perfect combination of high and low art that every other form has examples of, and the innermost sanctum of the cognoscenti recognize intuitively. Think Warhol during the 60s in NYC. Perfumeries Generale has to my mind a well-earned reputation as a line of distinction with decidedly less bullshit than most niche firms. Smart, always interesting, willing to make an attempt and fail, but usually succeeding. So thereís the high art. Hippy patchouli: thereís the low art.

All the fumies love it, and give the blogging equivalent of a knowing nod when using it as a reference point. I get one big, gorgeous nose-full of hyper-patchouli, and then canít smell it at all. Believe me, I know itís there from the comments of those around me when Iíve tried it. Apparently itís a patch bomb to most noses, where to mine itís effectively a glass of water.

So this is my low self-esteem perfume. The one that captures the best of all worlds in perfumery and tells the world youíve got smarts and taste. And Iím left scratching my head.

04 May, 2012