Indie_Guy's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just got a bottle of this; it's fantastic!

Since it's been discontinued in all but bell jars, it's becoming difficult to find in the US. The stocks took a while to start drying up, but it's happening and I didn't want to find that I'd waited too long. My sample was running on fumes so I decided now would be a good time to get a bottle of Douce Amere.

I've always had good results with any scents containing bittersweet anise/licorice/absinthe notes. I wear these scents well and get a lot of compliments. I love scents like Lolita Lempicka Pour Homme, but sometimes these can be a bit loud and brash. I was looking for something a bit more distinguished and mature in this genre. The strange thing about Douce Amere is that I perceive an orange/ dreamsicle accord in here, even though there's no orange listed in the notes.

The base is creamy wood, vanilla and chocolate foundation that almost comes across with a hint of some kind of custard/ dessert note. I consider this scent to be quite gourmand. I don't know how this would smell on a women, but I find it quite masculine on myself.

07th May, 2012