Sniffmonkey's avatar

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

Whoa! This is my most disappointing purchase to date. And ironically, although I do occasionally buy "blind" based purely on reviews and / or lists of notes, I had actually sniffed this before I purchased. I own and love Songes and L'Heure Exquise, but these Goutals are a funny lot. The first time I tried Un Matin D'Orage in Selfridges I recoiled - I found it dry, cardboardy, opaque, unpleasantly bitter with no "body". The second time I tried it I was at Bergdorf Goodman's whilst on holiday in New York, and the lovely sales assistant suggested I try it as I like Songes and used to own Le Chevrefeuille. It smelled like the sweet floralcy of Le Jasmin combined with a muted version of the mouthwatering green of Ninfeo Mio, which I was very tempted by, but decided was just too sharp. I was quite excited and thought I could really enjoy Un Matin...

So, on my return to the UK, having sniffed some lovely gardenias in Florida, I decided to buy a bottle as a reminder of my trip. What happened?! I find my original revulsion has returned! There is something I find repugnant about the opaque, broad bean green of this scent. Is it the shiso? Is there a significant difference between EDT (which I bought) and the EDP? Or am I just highly susceptible to a charming sales assistant?! Sorry, Un Matin. I don't think we're meant to be.

10th May, 2012