The_Cologneist's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

One of my all time favorite designer fragrances in high school, and still gets much wear from my collection, as I proudly own a 5.1 oz bottle. With such a clash of notes, all of which are highly synthetic smelling, they manage to come together nicely to make one accord in the opening, which to my nose smells like pineapple, cypress, and a little leather. As it dries it gives this "old cheese" smell to many, I see this too, but for some reason, I don't mind it. Hugo doesn't last more than 6 hours on a good day for me, and projection is pretty weak after the first 30 minutes. Overall though, it's quite unique for the designer market, from its release to this day, I haven't come across a big hit like it. Probably because they would have to clone all the synthetic smelling notes in this to generate this overall synthetic smelling accord. I'd hate to throw around the term "synthetic smelling" over & over, but that's what I get. Personally.. synthetic smelling is never a bad thing for me, as long as it comes together well. To an extent, this has some of Tommy's DNA in it, but with more going on. Hard to describe, but easy to wear. A must try in my opinion, but very VERY love or hate.

24 May, 2012