drseid's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Ambre Narguile opens with a sweet cinnamon apple pie accord that many have mentioned. It uses honey as the key sweetener to my nose, with hints of ginger, incense and amber. The amber of course grows and becomes the star of the scent, retaining the initial sweetness and spice throughout to the point of the scent being a straight baked goods gourmand with a mild tobacco undertone. Ambre Narguille is a very smooth linear minimalist scent that is natural smelling and well-blended. Projection and longevity are both above average.

This is my favorite scent from the Hermessence line, but that is not saying much. It is very pleasant smelling, and gourmand lovers (I am not one) should certainly try it out. I am disappointed personally because Jean-Claude Ellena is capable of so much more than this overly simplistic creation. I know he is the master of minimalism, but at the price tags this whole line go for I expect so much more than this (and like I said, the others in the line I like even less). Good but not great, and highly overpriced, IMO. I give Ambre Narguile a "good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5, but a 1 out of 5 for value. Definitely try this one first before shelling out the dough for this pricey apple pie.

01st June, 2012