Swanky's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

Based upon Luca Turin's glowing review of this, I obtained a decant from Lucky Scent. I love florals (Iquitos, Mitsouko, Fleur Du Male) so this was bound to appeal to me.

It smells lovely, but not anywhere, anywhere, near the majestic elixir I expected. As many others have noted, it has a strong powder note not unlike Royal Copenhagen, Coty Musk for Men and others. It also is softly floral and musky; Alyssa Ashley Musk or Kiehl's Musk approximate the latter. Those familiar with Cuir Mauresque or Cuir de Russie Chanel will be familiar with the classical treatment of floral notes. Amouage Gold is not especially unique nor mind blowing and...

...the price is absolutely absurd for what one gets. There is quality here but based on the exclusivity and high price of Amouage, I certainly have to factor in the cost in my review. Thumbs up for the scent but objectively I don't see that this is eleven to twenty times better smelling than Kiehl's Musk or Clubman After Shave.

04 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2012)