drseid's avatar

Balafre by Lancôme

This is a review of the vintage version of Balafre...

Balafre opens with a very nice moss-like green cypress and oakmoss combo that sets the stage for the rest of the scents development. This mossy theme remains from start to finish. Also up top is a supporting note of bergamot, but it definitely hangs in the background, letting the mossy accord take center stage. The mossy accord remains into the scent's heart notes, now joined by supporting cedar notes and even a hint of carnation and coniferous pine. In the base notes the mossy accord recedes but the oakmoss remains, joined by a musky leather combo. Projection is average to slightly above average, and longevity is average.

I had heard enough good things about the elusive Balafre, so without sampling it first when a small bottle made its way to eBay overseas I pounced on it. Even at its relatively high price tag now having smelled it I am very glad I did. The scent somewhat reminds me of vintage Derby from Guerlain. Balafre has much more of a mossy vibe to it than Derby, but the oakmoss and leather base structure both share has a somewhat similar feel to my nose, at least. Balafre is definitely a scent from a different time, probably most reminding me of the 70s through the 80s. I love many scents worn during that time period, so it comes as no surprise I like Balafre quite a bit. Is it worth the many hundreds of dollars a full sized bottle now commands? In my opinion, no, but if a mini or two pops up for sane money on eBay or elsewhere I would definitely recommend snatching it up if you can afford it. 4 out of 5 stars.

19th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 08th June, 2012)