verycharlie's avatar

Le Pamplemousse by Miller Harris

Tried this at the Miller Harris boutique in Coventry Garden recently and it instantly, forcefully, reminded me of Diptique's Ombré dans Le'au (just without the 'rose' that people talk of in relation to that perfume). The sales assistant said I was the 2nd person that day to make the comparison. Unfortunately for me this meant that a couple of strong sniffs from a smelling stip was enough to give me an annihilating drilling pain in the front of my skull....my reaction was even worse than with LODL as this literally made a big patch on the left side of my forehead go cold and numb and made me feel nausous. Obviously whatever note they have in common I have a serious chemical reaction to.

But to give a fair review not tainted by my personal chemistry, this perfume opens with amazing green notes. I was expecting something called 'the grapefruit' to be an obvious citrus and to smell of grapefruit, but this smells like stomped on riverside brambles and nettles.....it's much more of an English country garden smell (rhubarb, nettles, tall wet weeds) and I couldn't hear any citrus, but that may be olfactory blindness caused by my reaction to a particular ingredient. The opening blast of green seemed very natural, effective and well put together so I''m sure anyone who likes LE Ombré dans Le'au will appreciate and enjoy this perfume. Sadly I don't.

Edit. Think I was drunk when I wrote this..'Coventry Garden'. I sound like I'm from Royston Vasey.

26th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2012)