Akahina's avatar

I Love New York for Marriage Equality by Bond No. 9

This scent starts off with a noticeable note of Mandarin Orange and nutmeg with the slight presence of plum. The basenote of sandalwood is apparent from the very beginning. As the orange fades the white flowers become evident but never overpowering. As for the floral notes, for the most part I smell ginger lily and jasmine but according to the published notes there is rose here too. Mostly the white flowers done in a minimal fashion that complements the sandalwood and other woody notes so well. I would swear there is a touch of cinnamon too. As the scent ages on the skin a wonderful amber accord is added to the mix.

This is not a flowery scent but it is at the same time; just enough to round out the spices and amber. Mostly this is a sweet sandalwood spice mix with a bit of delicious floral added to the heart with that mandarin and plum at the beginning.

One could say the floral aspect of this perfume would make it feminine but the woody and spicy nature would make it masculine. Verdict: Unisex. Can be worn by anyone. I have blown through two sample vials and have ordered a full bottle. I even carried a sample vial with me last night and offered a spray to those that complemented me on the fragrance and this one did garner complements from both men and women.

_________________________

I wondered earlier today if this was similar to Andy Warhol by Bond and since I have Andy Warhol, I sprayed one arm with Andy and the other with ILNYFME about 3 hours ago. Upon first spray I thought they were indeed very similar, at least inhabiting the same fragrance "space" for lack of a better term. The main difference at the top that I could discern was the presence of mandarin in ILNYFME. But after the top notes dried off the two presented themselves quite differently. Andy had that almost sour and medicinal "band aid" note of oud which could be enhanced by the plum note. ILNYFME on the other hand evolved to a sweeter and spicier space with a more definite sweet sandalwood/amber modified with a hint of sweet white floral. So my first impression was yes, quite similar, but after a white to two evolved into quite different scents. This may sound strange, but now when I smell the two next to each other the first thing I think about with Andy is "sour milk". I never thought that before! And it really does not smell like sour milk so I can't really explain that reaction...

I liked Andy enough to buy a bottle, but ILNYFME is better for me today, at least somewhat sweeter. Loving the sandalwood note quite a bit.

23 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2012)