Zut's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Top: Tobacco leaf, spicy notes
    Heart: Tonka bean, tobacco blossom, vanilla, cacao
    Base: Dried fruits, woody notes

I was eager to try this EDP since it contains some of my favourite notes. Like many fragrances of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection, Tobacco Vanille has a slow dry-down and an unbelievable longevity. When I first applied, though, an intense and sickeningly cloying whiff turned on a big red light for me. I told myself: This one is a big no-no! I was afraid I would reek of sweet aromatic pipe tobacco for hours. Fortunately, about 50 minutes later, the dry-down began and the tonka and vanilla notes became a little darker and richer as the dryer wood notes started to emerge. The tobacco remained discreet but still present in the background. I was expecting a slightly smokier fragrance but since I love tonka/vanilla-based perfumes, I was not really disappointed.

Tobacco Vanille is ridiculously expensive but its longevity partly makes up for the outrageous price.

17 July, 2012