drseid's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or - Rose Etoile de Hollande by Mona di Orio

Rose opens with primarily a peach and aldehyde combination, with just a faint whiff of the rose from the heart notes peeping through. The peach remains into the heart, with the rose growing stronger coupling with a very strong almost cherry and almond smelling floral heliotrope. Rounding out the heart notes of interest is a distinct geranium note that melds with the heliotrope, aldehyde-laced peach and rose notes to create a somewhat odd combination that has a mild medicinal vibe to it. Amber and benzoin from the base add a moderate amount of sweetness to the scent, but nothing too overboard. Projection is above average with superb longevity.

I was so happy to hear that this rose scent was being released well after the untimely death of the great Mona di Orio, but I had to wonder in the back of my mind if this would truly be what Mona would have released if still alive or was Rose an unfinished composition now unleashed on the public after her death with no one left to complete it properly... We will never really know, but I fear it may have been the latter as I just don't get the same vibe with Rose as I do the other scents in the Les Nombres d'Or line. It is very aldehyde and peach heavy, with a lot less rose than you might think or want in a scent with the name Rose Etoile de Hollande. The aldehydes also give the scent a somewhat medicinal chemical vibe that when combined with the peach and heliotrope comes off as something I liken to a light semi-sweet cherry and peach cough syrup with a rose undertone. That result is far from the great heights Mona achieved with most of the Les Nombres d'Or line. I guess I am going to choose to believe this was not a finished product, but in its current state I rate Rose Etoile de Hollande a very disappointingly below average to average 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5. Not recommended and not a good representation of what Mona was capable of, IMO.

29 July, 2012