Marais's avatar

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

I love this juice! I'm not the biggest fan of the original's dated smell and poor longevity, so, for me, this new creation does not suffer by comparison with an ageing legend; in fact, I was very pleasantly surprised.
    The original's bergamot/citrus/vetiver bone structure is still just recognisable; but wearing an overcoat of heavenly myrrh and dark patchouli so thick that the startling transformation will inevitably confound expectations. The result is a heavy, dark, resolutely masculine fragrance which is saved from chest-beating 80s parody by a healthy helping of smooth, semi-sweet powder and quiet florals.
    There is nothing quite like it, but there are elements which remind me of Cartier's Santos and PdN's New York.
    Projection and longevity are excellent; it lasts a full day easily. One or two sprays are all that is required; more may prove a mistake. My best new fragrance discovery of 2012 so far. Bravo Demachy!

12th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2012)