drseid's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

Monsieur Balmain opens with a sharp blast of semi-sour lemon that is quite like the real juice. The fragrance soon combines the lemon with a sandalwood undertone that grows as the lemon slightly recedes over time. Very modest hints of amber and bergamot are the only other detectable notes of recognition to my nose. Projection is minimal and longevity is above average.

Monsieur Balmain is a very simplistic scent to my nose, at least. While the official list of notes is quite long, it really is all about a natural lemon on a semi-synthetic smelling sandalwood base; nothing more, nothing less. I have heard the scent described by some as "Lemon Pledge," and I confess I too have that same association too. I very much think of a fine lemon wood furniture polish when I smell this one. Lemon Pledge association and formula simplicity aside, the recent formulation of Monsieur Balmain does smell good, and is a superb value at its current street price of around $30 for a 100 ml bottle. I give Monsieur Balmain a "good" 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 rating.

15 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)