odysseusm's avatar

Rume by Slumberhouse

Notes: bay leaf, myrrh, labdanum, clay, cola, filbert, hay.

The comparison to Serge Lutens is very true, this is definitely in that style (sweet, powerful, dried-fruit).
    The website has a fanciful description, "pralined fur laced in dark red spice" -- and that did not cause me to look forward to the trial in happy anticipation. :(
    It is very sweet, intensely sweet, aggressively sweet. It is like dried dates steeped in warm, spicy rum. That may sound attractive to some -- to me, not.
    There is a clay-mineral note behind the sweetness.
    Very quickly a coumarin note appears to suggest hay and cured tobacco.
    The scent gets more interesting as the uber-sweet blitz burns off.
    This becomes a very gentleman's club sort of scent: it evokes images of humidors, polished wood furniture, pipe tobacco, old leather books.
    Very powerful... and yet I don't find it to have longevity. Essentially done in an hour for me.
    Not my style, but more problematic for me was the relentlessly sweet opening.

04 October, 2012