elmatador75's avatar

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

I really like this. It departs from the original EDT by distancing itself from the mineral-like notes in its predecessor. Instead, you are treated to an exuberant display of rich, deep citrus embedded on an oily base of earthy woods. It really is a retro fragrance reminiscent of what men in the eighties would wear. Imagine Armani, but with its turnings properly adjusted. The citrus is shared by both. But, whereas Armani goes a bit awry with its high-pitched citrus top notes and overly-soapy middle, Terre EDP cruises like a yacht. The citrus is deeper and there is no soapy-floral middle. It is a strong, elegant fragrance that my dapper uncle from the eighties would have worn when flying in from New York, wearing his signature Oscar de la Renta fragrance, who he gave me when I was in high school. I admired him. The ladies flocked to him. In turn, I emulated him. One day I hope to return the favor and present Terre EDP to that gentleman who taught me that good, understated style is classic. You can keep your fruit and aqua. Give me Hermes' Terre.

02 November, 2012