odysseusm's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Update on my initial review below.
    This starts with a rather odd opening. It is so strongly scented of mint and clove that it reminds me of the mouthwash used by dentists after a session in the chair! Whew.
    It settles into a woody-spice scent with some incense, a near cousin to Heeley Cardinal. If you have HC then you don't need this IMO.
    Surprisingly, I didn't get any cumin when I tried it this time.
    ----
    On my skin this is a spicy-wood scent. It is dry and lean for a Lutens fragrance. No stewed fruit, no opulently-giddy florals.
    The minty-camphor notes at the beginning are very interesting, but too brief. In addition to cloves and cinnamon, I detect cumin. Cumin is often paired with cedar, and the cumin note contributes the male-sweat note. Lots of black pepper is to be found as well.
    The scent is aromatic and interesting. I donít get much (if any) of the incense or burned-wood notes. The wood I detect is straight-forward cedar, twinned with cumin.
    A hint of buttery amber emerges a few hours later, but it is a background element to the spice and wood.
    General approval on this scent, but I wish there were more incense or smoky notes.

21st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th November, 2012)