HackerX's avatar

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum, a scent that took a complete 180 for me. I tried this scent 10 years ago when I just came into the fragrance scene. I found it too medicinal and repulsive. 10 years later I tried this in a vial didn't realize the writing on the card, I thought this smells really good and unique, a few days later i found "Piper Nigrum" on the vial card and I was shocked. A scent that I really disliked 10 years ago had become one of my favorites.

From the first blast to the drydown, everything is just perfect about this fragrance. I can clearly detect the black pepper for the first hour, it is very true to life and very hypnotic. The first blast hits you with full spice assault, it's like opening a spice cabinet first time in years, it's actually rather soothing with this first stage. Then it becomes a little balmy, somewhat sweeter but still with the black pepper in the background. At this stage the sweetness gives off a little cinnamon vibe. Many hours later, it becomes a little ambery but still retains its spicy vibe, this sweet and spicy combo is absolutely breathtaking, I cannot stop smelling this fragrance. It just smells so 'Pure'. This surely has one of the top 3 drydowns among thousands of fragrances I've tried.

Is it groundbreaking? Yes, it was very much ahead of its time. It sounds like something that would nauseate you, but it's the other way around, it's very comforting and relaxing. They say it's a fragrance full of contrasts, and it's absolutely true, contradicting ingredients are at play and the result is daring, fascinating and hypnotizing, a true masterpiece.

01st December, 2012