jtd's avatar

Amber Oud by By Kilian

I love sweets, but there are times I would trade one of those stylized, mouthwatering desserts made from the kitchen full of component parts for a perfect croissant.

Plug-in whatever other $300+ perfume for the dessert, Amber Oud is the croissant. Forget that it costs the price of a ticket to Paris to get said ideal croissant, Amber Oud is the perfect combination, the ideal calibration of amber and oud (big amber, little oud) that makes me want to sniff myself all day. A croissant is the product of superb quality simple ingredients, understanding of the role of the ingredients and skill. All the bad croissants in the world tell you that simple doesn't mean easy. Ditto for AO. The problem is the price and my lust for more perfume. If I could afford Amber Oud I first have to make the Odyssey across the following dessert courses:

Histoires de Parfum: 1804, Petroleum and Noir Patchouli
    Parfumerie Generale: Cuir d’Iris, Felania and Tubereuse Couture
    Andy Tauer: Loretta, Carillon pour un Ange and l’Air du Désert Marocain
    The entire line of les Nereides

None of these choices is slumming it. It's not as though I'd be taking a loaf of Wonder Bread instead of the croissant.

Set against this competition AO wouldn't stand a chance.

11th December, 2012