odysseusm's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I've revised this review. Initially I was neutral on it. I still think it is a classy scent, but I find that a couple of elements dominate and I don't like them. If others like these elements then they won't have a problem with the scent.
    The first problematic element for me is the anise. I appreciate a little of that fennel-licorice note, but here I find it dominates in the early going. Sometimes I get a cool, minty note from the rosemary or cloves from the carnation, but mostly it is anise.
    The second and third elements which give me problems are the vanilla and patchouli. Just a little too much vanilla to suit me, and the patchouli, while earthy and tangy, is also assertive and a bit sweet and heavy.
    This is an old-school aromatic fougere. Give it a try if this style interests you. It is a classic of its style.

05 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)