cello's avatar
    cello

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a vetiver that anyone could sink their teeth into, even for those, like myself, who struggle with a strong presence of that note.

There is a smooth, distinct presence of vetiver, but it acts as subtle base for sharp wood and sweet amber to play off of. In fact, I find two distinct phases of vetiver - the first is slightly smoky and green, intertwined with a sharp guaic note. The second is a wood based sweet amber oriental, with vetiver still present, but clearly in the backdrop. There is a lovely powdery iris sprinkled over a cocoa to form an impression of dark, bitter chocolate, but I don't find this obvious at all, more an impression.

I find this imminently wearable, and I love the use of interesting notes in a rather tried and true formula. Oriental it is, but with a twist. It manages to stay somewhat fresh throughout, even with the sweet and powdery base.

Very well done, albeit possibly not the truest vetiver for vetiver lovers. But for me, it is perfect!

05 January, 2013