drseid's avatar

Anat Fritz by Anat Fritz

Anat Fritz (original) opens on skin with a fresh breeze of aromatic wild lavender that soon joins a very sharp natural cedar and raw grassy vetiver in the heart to create the dominant overall accord that runs through its relatively linear development. The heart accord is dirtied slightly by the deft use of patchouli in the base coupling with just the faintest hint of relatively dry sandalwood, never calling attention to itself. Projection is quite strong and longevity is near equally outstanding.

After being completely wowed by the new Anat Fritz release, Tzora, I had to get my hands on a sample of this original release from the Anat Fritz house bearing her namesake (composed by Anat herself). Anat Fritz (original) has been pretty thoroughly either ignored (count myself a guilty party) or maligned by reviewers since its release years ago, but now having sampled it I am quite disappointed in myself for not giving this a sniff a lot earlier as it is a perfect fit for my preferences. I am 100% certain that to my nose the original version is masterpiece caliber stuff and unlike Tzora that is so skillfully restrained and remaining well in the mainstream, Anat Fritz (original) is rough, earthy, aromatic, powerful and distinctive. Both scents are near equally appealing but in polar opposite ways. I award extra points for Anat utilizing the lavender here (a note I generally dislike) in a way that it complements the sharp cedar perfectly by focusing on its aromatic qualities and spurning its powdery facets frequently featured by most. If I had one small gripe it would be that the only bottle available is a splash bottle. I guess in the grand scheme of things that is pretty unimportant, but it should at least be mentioned... The long and the short of it is Anat Fritz (original) is an outstanding "masculine" leaning release that will appeal to cedar,lavender and vetiver lovers who want to make a strong statement, earning an extremely strong "masterpiece" rating of 5 stars out of 5.

*Please note that the original version of the scent (that is reviewed here) has been re-worked by Anat herself in June 2012. The new version tones down the lavender focus, making the scent a more balanced earthy composition (source is Anat Fritz herself). I have not sniffed the new version as yet so I can only pass on how Anat describes it. Also of note: It appears pre-reworked bottles of Anat Fritz (original) are still on the market before inventory at certain locations switches over to the re-worked version (as I purchased my bottle in December 2012 at the sole US distributor and it was the pre-rework version still).

20th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)