Bufshuf's avatar

Vétiver by Christian Dior

I bought this blind after reading various reviews and I was immediately let down. First, where was this blast of citrus everyone seems to talk about. Citrus scents were my go to for a very long time after some very unfortunate fragrance purchases, so I generally feel confident that I know what citrus smells like in a fragrance. Artek by CDG, for instance…now there’s blast of citrus. If you’re not careful, it’s like walking into a lemonade firehose. Consequently, with my mind closed the way it was when I first sprayed it on, I dismissed it because it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Fast-forward a little bit of time and some considerable fragrance experimentation, I took Vetiver off the shelf and tried it again. My first realization is that I should not have simply expected lemon or bergamot at the beginning. Of course, grapefruit is a citrus as well. With that box checked off, I began to appreciate the peppery note that vacillates through the entire dry down. The constant is that fresh grassy note that reminds me of adolescent visits to my uncle’s farm. It brought back the summer afternoons baling the fresh mown hay and all the other wonderful things that were going on in my life at that time, made me appreciate the beauty of this fragrance and the power of olfaction to evoke memories and emotions. Try as I might, I still cannot find the coffee in this one.

It is a wonderful fragrance to wear at the office, after a workout, on a warm summer day or when I want to kick back on a weekend, put on Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” and reminisce.

28th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 09th February, 2013)