Indagnacious's avatar

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Commercial? - yes
    High Schoolish? - maybe
    Good? - absolutely
    If Mugler did a Pure Spice, it may smell similar to this, all be it with a nice dose of patchouli/vanilla/coffee base inserted instead of the less stable leather/tobacco/vetiver accord here. I am reminded of Pure Havane as this settles in. It's just that the cinnamon sweetness that is Spicebomb rues the day. Did I roll my eyes when the local Nordstroms SA recommended this to me, saying how popular it was and how everyone was going ape sh*t over it? That definitely pushed me far, far away....for quite some time in fact. And after asking them if they ever heard of or tried Chergui, Portrait of a Lady, or Noir Epices and getting absolutely nowhere fast, I backed off my bit of snobfumery, realizing I was probably ruining my chances of receiving bountiful samples by the second. Several months later, once all the hype died down, I tried it without judgement. And I have to say, I liked it. I still do in fact, even after a third or fourth wearing. I own a bunch of niche, and every once in a while I like to go the commercial route, as there is a certain level of comfort in that. Of course the fragrance has to be above average, and I feel with Olivier Polge's direction, it has accomplished that. Does it reach the heights of Nasomatto's spicy accords? Not even close. But just because I would much prefer to hang out with Chan Marshall or PJ Harvey doesn't mean I would turn down a date with Rihanna or Taylor Swift.
    Longevity and sillage are high, overall 3.5 stars out of 5.

24 February, 2013